AS...it's not hereditary is it?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 4:20 pm

While I found a lot of comfort in finally knowing what was wrong with me, I can't help but worry...will my son go through the same things I did? Both Mother and Father, unofficially diagnosed, display many characteristics of AS.

I love my sunshine boy. He's the light at the end of the tunnel, the only thing that could give me the strength to break away from my awful habits, just for his sake. And as such, I want to protect him...I don't want him to ever know the loneliness I've felt, or the sadness.

I suppose I already sort of know that it's not, but I need confirmation. Is AS hereditary? Can my son live the normal happy life that I so want him to have?

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 5:12 pm

Two points to address here:

1) Yes, AS/autism is hereditary. It's genetic, after all - did your genes not contribute?

2) Having AS does not mean that your boy can't have a happy life! Also, from the so-called "normal" people I've observed, not having AS doesn't necessarily mean happiness. (Right now, my wife is over at a friend's house, getting drunk, because her mother called her today and chewed her out for not being at Mommy's beck and call all the time [my wife is 34, and has two children], and then her mother called back leaving a message threatening to call 911 and turn her in for doing drugs [which would be a lie - she is on a number of prescription medications, mostly for psychological conditions her mother caused], then called and left another message saying she wasn't going to call any more, because WE were supposedly hurting HER!! !)

Compared to a lot of NTs, I've had a happy life - starting mostly from the day I learned, twenty years ago, that I wasn't like them, and that pretending I was would only result in heartache. (And improving further five years ago, when I learned why I wasn't like them...)

You want your son to have a happy life? Teach him to like who he is. Teach him that what other people say doesn't matter. That's the only way to find happiness. Living to please others doesn't work, and just leaves you empty and in pain.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 5:13 pm

Most certainly hereditary. I'm not sure how you do not know this. Autism is, according to NIMH (for one source), states "Autism (in whatever form, level of functioning), is the most heritable neuro/psych 'disorder' known."

Naturally. Individuals are defined by their genes dictated by protein coding.....What color are your eyes? Look at your parents.
What is the form, and subsequent function, of your brain? Look at your parents.

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 5:25 pm

Yes...I knew all of this. But I guess I shut it out. I can't seem to be happy in my current state, so I deathly want my son to not have to go through the same. But, he's still so young...and if he ends up being AS, I'll gladly pour all of my being into helping him.

It took me 21 years to find out, to even understand, the things that were wrong with me. He'll be 2 years old soon. I can't say how much time would need to pass before I can find out anything about whether or not he has AS.

But hell, what do I care. My sunshine boy. If he ends up being like his Daddy, I can't wait to give him the help/knowledge I never received.

annie2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2008, 4:31 pm

While it seems that AS is hereditary to some extent, from what I've seen I don't think that this necessarily means that an AS parent will definitely have an AS child. So, I guess my question would be how old is your son and do you think he exhibits AS characteristics?
My 7 yr old is AS, but I can't think of anyone else in the extended family with it. I've got my own little theory on whether difficult births are a contributor as well as was the case with him.

annie2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2008, 4:41 pm

Sorry - missed reading your last post when I put a reply in, so now have read that your son is almost two etc..... You would probably be noticing some AS traits by now if there are any. At that age my son was very loud and having meltdowns over changes to routine, and was also going up to every letterbox in the street and reading the numbers, as well as doing jigsaws well beyond his age.

Another question would be, do all AS people feel the type of loneliness you describe, or do a number of others not really care that much about how they're perceived? I would be interested in this because at the moment (7 yrs old) my son experiences some social rejection, but it doesn't seem to eat at him. I am wondering if he will just continue not caring about it into adolescence, or whether he will start being affected more by it. Anyway, I am just raising this because if your son does end up with AS it mightn't necessarily mean that he will endure the same feelings as you have.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 4:45 pm

Obviously; this is self-evident. Genetics simply do not work in the way, "If parent has X, then offspring will too." No! Of course not! Silliness.
Perhaps I should clarify. There does exist a genetic PROPENSITY towards certain heritable traits, which may not be expressed AT ALL. MIGHT still be in the phenotype and perhaps expressed in a later generation(s).

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 4:50 pm

annie2 wrote:
Sorry - missed reading your last post when I put a reply in, so now have read that your son is almost two etc..... You would probably be noticing some AS traits by now if there are any. At that age my son was very loud and having meltdowns over changes to routine, and was also going up to every letterbox in the street and reading the numbers, as well as doing jigsaws well beyond his age.

Another question would be, do all AS people feel the type of loneliness you describe, or do a number of others not really care that much about how they're perceived? I would be interested in this because at the moment (7 yrs old) my son experiences some social rejection, but it doesn't seem to eat at him. I am wondering if he will just continue not caring about it into adolescence, or whether he will start being affected more by it. Anyway, I am just raising this because if your son does end up with AS it mightn't necessarily mean that he will endure the same feelings as you have.

For the longest time I felt alone. And was content with it. But, it's quite a degenerative position. The longer you go in life being alone, the more you seem to not want such a fate. And I can't say that all people with AS feel lonely, as it's mostly a bi-product of not being able to socialize.

So the best remedy would be to understand it, I've realized. I really wish I had someone, anyone, to be by my side and help me with the things I've felt. AS isn't depression, but the feelings of difference and being alone surely lead to it.

Muncie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Feb 2008, 11:31 pm

From the previous statements, I don't think it really matters whether or not he tests positive for AS, He is fortunate enough to have a family VERY familiar with the syndrome and are prepared to provide whatever is needed.

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 5:27 am

My daughter Smelena might answer your questions, but if not I'll have a go.

I have 2 grandsons on the spectrum. Smelena, supported by her husband, has worked so hard for her boys for the past year since they have been diagnosed. The boys have had cognitive therapy weekly last year and so has Smelena. She needed to address issues such as judgmental parents, fighting the school system, etc

Now we have two beautiful boys who are proud to be aspergers, and who are making friends!! !! So having aspergers does not mean being unhappy.

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

m91
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Feb 2008, 8:52 am

It's hereditory, but your children are not guranteed to have AS. I'm saying this because my sister is an NT, but I have AS.

roguetech
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2008, 10:27 am

I've read that the symptoms start appearing around age 2 or 3. Complete bs, IMHO. I knew my son was on the Spectrum within a week of being born, and this before I had ever heard of AS or "the Spectrum". Could have been any number of other things, even collock (sp?) but I was pretty sure. No need to be sad for you son tho. Just the do the best you can for him, let him learn from your experiences, and he'll be just fine :D

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 2:08 pm

roguetech wrote:
I've read that the symptoms start appearing around age 2 or 3. Complete bs, IMHO. I knew my son was on the Spectrum within a week of being born, and this before I had ever heard of AS or "the Spectrum".

Well, there are exceptions to every rule. Just as some who say they know because their children start having spectacular meltdowns as they're entering or exiting toddlerhood. I never did - I was just exceptionally quiet (and while I don't remember, when I do have meltdowns they're internal, I withdraw, I don't explode as is often typical - my parents probably wouldn't have known if I were having one), but I did interact at home, and kept to myself at school. They still don't know how much I kept to myself. Some it's really visible. Some it's totally not.

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 3:39 pm

Bluesummers wrote:
Can my son live the normal happy life that I so want him to have?

What is normal? My son is HFA and happy. I feel like his chances of having a nice life are better than some of the NT kids that I run into.