Jobs After Retirement? Semi-Retirement?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

AspCat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2008, 5:17 pm

I am reaching the age where the idea of retirement is at least lurking in the back of my brain. Something about that makes me uneasy. I mean, I will have some resources and fortunately I do not have any grandiose plans for cruises and visiting Tahiti. Furthermore, I live alone and retirement is not going to be that time where I get to spend more time with the spouse - that time we didn't have because were were working.

The whole idea of sitting around doing nothing until I drop dead does not sound like 'golden years' . Can anybody relate to this?
And are there any particular Aspie approaches to this? What opportunities exist for doing part time jobs or a business to keep one occupied and at least pay the basic bills, etc.?

I am in high tech - perhaps consulting? Another part of me wants to do something else, such as helping animals, pets, etc. (My cats have been the one source of non-judgmental friendship through my life and I would like to return the favor to felines). There's talk about not enough young workers around to fill the gaps left by the baby-boomers, maybe there will be opportunities. BTW, this whole issue has caused me considerable angst, in an Aspie sort of way, where I get this feeling of dread and a chill down my spine. I would love your feedback, experience, etc. 8)

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 5:50 pm

Personally, I hope to retire to a scenic area that's within a decent distance to either a national forest or civil war battlefield (etc.). I hope to purchase a house with several bedrooms, and open it up on weekends and during "the season" as a guest house for civil war re-enactors, folks coming out from the city to see the foliage turn, etc., etc., etc.

As a sideline, I may offer a "cat vacation home" for people going to those events, or going to the national park, or whatever. Not a huge kennel, but a smaller edition.

If I am close enough to a VA hospital I might devote a room or two to families who have to come in from a distance for treatment, a a discounted rate.

Might convert the attic to a hostel for visiting youth from other countries.

I plan to garden. I have several hobbies I've neglected - genealogy, writing, weaving and textile-craft. I've wanted to do stained glass for years. I might do all or some of these. Genealogy, in particular, may fund the occasional trip to Ireland, or around the country, as I do commission work. It's something I'm quite good at, so I may just farm it out for a buck now and then.

There are so many options, once there's no mortgage to pay and there's enough income with which to eat... as long as my health holds.

I am SO looking forward to doing something other than someone other's tasks from 7-4 ever day. :D

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 6:07 pm

How about studying to be a vet tech? That would be a very good job, and you could probably get flex time on it.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 6:30 pm

I still have 20 years left to work. No savings, no plan, a tiny 401k, and Social Insecurity. I'm more worried about being laid off and not being able to get another job because I'm 'too old'. I should be good until 2009, but then I have to be concerned about the contract being renewed. I'm studying various computer classes (flash, access, visio, etc) in the hopes of broadening my skill base. But yeah, I don't plan for retirement, because I'll probably not get a chance to.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 8:27 pm

You could join the Peace Corps, and go off and learn a new language and culture.

AspCat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Feb 2008, 6:45 am

pakled wrote:
I'm studying various computer classes (flash, access, visio, etc) in the hopes of broadening my skill base. But yeah, I don't plan for retirement, because I'll probably not get a chance to.

If you know this stuff, I wonder what opportunities there are for working from the home.

AspCat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Feb 2008, 6:56 am

Nan wrote:
As a sideline, I may offer a "cat vacation home" for people going to those events, or going to the national park, or whatever. Not a huge kennel, but a smaller edition.

I love cats. If I had the room, I'd do this in a heartbeat. I could spend all day making friends with my 'guests'. Sounds like fun :D