22 Feb 2008, 4:34 pm

What ads?

jonk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2008, 4:48 pm

lau wrote:
What ads?

The ones that appear above the menu line (the menu line is the one that says "Home Discussion Articles" etc.) on the pages when you are NOT posting. (During posting, they disappear.) I could ignore those on the side and bottom, easily. But the top pushes things down and actually interferes mightily. So I'm going to severely limit my future time here. Too painful, that is.

Jon

P.S. I'm using WinXP Home plus IE 7. These ads have not been present until today or yesterday. And they are only present on WP pages, no where else, so I'm pretty sure without crawling through the delivered html code, that it is part of the php code changes to phpBB serving out WP pages to me.

Okay, now that I'm looking more closely, it happens _some_ of the time. Not always. In fact, if I click "Home" over and over and/or refresh the page, sometimes it is there... sometimes not. But annoying when it is there and it was not present before. Of course, now I'm more curious about the details, since it is intermittent and you don't seem to have noticed any.

Last edited by jonk on 22 Feb 2008, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 4:56 pm

This is weird! I looked at Jon's computer and saw the ads then I looked at two other computers and didn't see the ads and then, while I was making this post, ads appeared at the top so I cancelled and restarted this post and now there aren't any ads at the top.

jonk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2008, 5:13 pm

Here's a snapshot I just took:

See the "puzzle pirates" thing??

Jon

Sovemp
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2008, 5:15 pm

I really like physics and would be happy to look over your stuff. Also, I LOVE Feynman! His lectures are awesome.

jonk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2008, 6:22 pm

Sovemp wrote:
I really like physics and would be happy to look over your stuff. Also, I LOVE Feynman! His lectures are awesome.

They are. I have a nice, boxed hard-copy set that I regularly peruse. It's just undergrad stuff but of course I will spend the rest of my life barely coming up to his knees. I only wish I could stand on his shoulders, instead!

Jon

lau
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 6:39 pm

jonk wrote:
lau wrote:
What ads?

The ones that appear above the menu line...

Sorry I was so dismissive. I use SeaMonkey (Mozilla, and pretty much the same thing as Firefox) and "AdBlock Plus", so it was a while since I had seen any adverts.
As it happens, I just upgraded my SeaMonkey, which means (because of the way I do it all) I had to re-install AdBlock, and so I saw the adverts you mention, briefly.
I also notice that now, with adverts blocked, I intermittently get a single hatched line at the top of the page, which is all that remains of where the adverts are trying to show.
I find I'm lost, in IE7, trying to figure out how to do things I'm used to having at my fingertips - e.g. WebDeveloper, spell check, etc. (Then generally finding that you can't do them.) (Or, as with Opera, that you have to pay for them.)

jonk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2008, 6:56 pm

lau wrote:
Sorry I was so dismissive.

I took it merely as _laconic_, but if you were being dismissive that's fine, as well. It was my issue and I hadn't explained myself well enough, which is my burden and no one else's. In any case, it's suddenly become a problem and I'm not really interested in being forced to either change to something I don't know and will have yet another learning curve to overcome or else to have to go research how to adjust IE 7 to (imperfectly) fight against this. It's just going to shut down my desire and that is that. Especially after seeing a request for contributions from the members to help defray costs. If charitable folks are sending cash in, and in the next moment before I know whether or not I'd like to join that effort I'm suddenly facing an increased level of ads, I feel pretty deflated.

Jon