Autism Spectrum Disorders: Are They Related or a Hodgepodge?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 3:06 am

I am just wondering something. There are several disorders listed on the Autism Spectrum.

Rett Syndrome
Childhood Disintegrative Disorder
Autism
Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified
Asperger Syndrome.

I have rather wondered if they are really related to each other:

Just because they may share some symptoms doesn't necessarily mean they are related. Do you think that it's possible that they might appear to be related to each other because they share some similar characteristics but in reality the present spectrum of Autism disorders is more like a hodgepodge.

Just my thoughts on this.

Purplefluffychainsaw
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2008, 3:10 am

HFA and Aspergers at least are close enough that it's difficult to tell the difference some times. I don't know about the others but I'm sure there's some reason for them all to be linked together.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Feb 2008, 4:47 am

I definatly feel that autism can very as far as severity and we try to cataglorize what 'type' of autism an individual has based on some behaviors they exibit. They are very much connected.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 9:37 am

I'd say that Rett's Syndrome and Childhood Disintegrative Disorder are different from Autistic Spectrum Disorders and have different causes. I'm willing to bet that Autistic Spectrum Disorders, Non-Verbal Learning Disorder, Schizoid Personality Disorder, Schizotypal Personality Disorder, and some forms of Schizophrenia are related. John Ratey, the psychologist famous for his books on ADHD, has described Schizoid Personality Disorder as basically a form of Asperger's Syndrome is which instead of having a non-functional "theory of mind" the person has a badly programed "theory of mind."

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 9:51 am

Asperger's and autism are the same thing historically (Kanner and Asperger were describing the same thing); now, the only difference being that those with autism have a severe verbal impairment that continues into adulthood, and 70% of those with autism do poorly on standardized IQ tests as children (the results are often inaccurate). Schizoid personality disorder is probably similar to Asperger's (they may very well be the same thing; the difference being in severity).

CDD is like autistic disorder, but with a period of normal development and then a sudden onset of a disorder that's similar to autism.

NVLD appears to be of a similar group--it has its own distinct characteristics however (I don't really know much about it).

ADHD, I know nothing about it.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 9:59 am

Am think they are related,just like diabetes or CP has different types,but,am don't think they are all affected the same way,especially rets and CDD.
Classical Autism,aspergers and Atypical Autism/PDDNOS are the most alike.

Odin,isn't the schizo. spectrum adult onset,or nearly always? could they really be related-as ASD is developmental/from birth or childhood [depending on the type]?

Some people say ADHD is part of the Autism spectrum.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!