Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 3:21 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Great start! Now, if they can just lose the entire communist party after he and his brother die...

We can only hope ...

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 1:42 pm

Just read where a Yank Politician said he hopes the Castro Brothers get to meet Karl Marx very soon!!

(Why do ours have to be so bloody PC? That's a great comment!!)

Wisguy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 11:28 am

I do challenge some of you to go to the Google maps website and zoom in on Habana de Cuba (yes, they do have high-resolution images of the entire city) and check out the a) lack of traffic on the streets and b) block after block after block of buildings with caved-in roofs, etc.

It is a real eye-opener, recalling that prior to 1959 (when Castro took over from the very despotic Fulgencio Batista), Cuba was right up there with Canada in per-capita wealth, behind only the USA in the Americas.

Once the Castro brothers are gone and things settle down and open up there, rebuilding both the economy and physical country (most of it will likely have to be torn down and rebuilt from the ground) will be a monumental task.

Mike

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 2:42 pm

Fidel Castro is gone, but his brother is now leader. Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

The_Q
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Mar 2008, 1:34 am

jrknothead wrote:
People who live in America who came from Cuba are not always the best source of info about Cuba... legal immigration from cuba has been nonexistent for over 40 years, plus there is a strong and vocal cuban dissident community in the US who pretty much try to paint as horrible a picture of Cuba as possible...

This is about the most sensible post in the entire thread thus far.

To those who point out reported living conditions in Cuba (one comment in particular concerning Cubans driving 1950's cars), it should be noted that the United State's embargo on Cuba doesn't help the situation.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 2:26 am

jrknothead wrote:
legal immigration from cuba has been nonexistent for over 40 years,

I'd just like to offer a qualifier. Its Illegal by American law, not cuban apparently. Cubans are technically permitted to emmigrate to Canada for instance. How tricky it is to gain permission for them I dont know, but I have heard of Canadian men marrying Cuban women.

http://geo.international.gc.ca/latin-am ... as-en.aspx

http://www.immigroup.com/marriageabroad ... _Cuban.php