Pleasantries Over-Automated, Leading To Stupid Responses

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2005, 7:18 pm

Neuroman wrote:
eamonn wrote:
I have heard numerous people say that the service industry is far better and more polite in the US.

When I was living in New York City, I knew many people of color who decided to move to places like Alabama and Georgia. When I asked them why, they told me that it was because even though people were openly racist, at least they were honest about it,
I really like it when people here are honestly nice and helpful, and you are right, there are many. You can tell because they engage in spontaneous and original conversation.
It scares the dickens out of me to engage with people, but it seems easier with the honest ones.

They're sure right about that. I'm a black southerner and white people in this city don't even pretend to like black people, at least not the ones who've lived here all their lives. Athough it makes it easier in knowing who to avoid, it also means that you're more likely to be in a low-wage job since predominantly white businesses won't hire black people regardless of qualifications. And it gets on my nerves when white parents make it no secret they would rather send their kids to expensive private schools if the mostly white county schools and predominantly black city schools decide to consolodate.

Besides that, however, people here are the most genuine folks I've even met and I've traveled to many places including New York, which, in my opinion, epitomizes the NT mindset more than anywhere I've ever been. Therefore, it's much easier to deal with people in my city than with people up North who have a tendancy to be "two-faced."*

*Not to say this is indicative of all Northerners...or Southerners for that matter. :wink:

Liadain
Raven
Raven

18 Sep 2005, 3:45 pm

I just reread my post and realized how much of a knob I am - I've been working a crazy amount of hours this week and will blame that for my lack of coherence. Please forgive me. :P

Last edited by Liadain on 19 Sep 2005, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2005, 4:00 pm

I'll use the "wrong" response sometimes, but it's not that big a problem. Usually I'm genuinely interested in interacting with the person in question, even though it's someone that I've never seen before and may very well never see again (or at least I won't really get to know them). However, I've noticed that I've been on the other side recently, where I'll say something like "What's up" and the other person will respond with "Fine".

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2005, 9:49 pm

Quote:
Anyway, anyone else ever do this (accidentally respond in an automated way even when it doesn't make sense)?

Today at work a guy came to my register and said "Hello." I said "Thank you, you too." Instead of "Hello, how are you?" as I was supposed to respond. He stared at me a bit before continuing. I just continued on by pretending it didn't happen.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2005, 1:05 pm

I am knid of liek this.Like for exzample,whenever I call my friend Han-chan,she always answers the phone with,"Burger King,what's your beef?"And whoever is calling is supposed to say,"This is McDonalds,and my fries are better than yours!"

-SpaceCase :wink:

PS.To the Burger King lovers-I'm sorry. :oops:

Morlock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2005, 12:09 am

hmmm... yes... indeed