Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 2:57 pm

Who has tried these and what would you recommend? Brands and make up/ingredients?

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 3:27 pm

I used to take digestive enzymes (I forget which brands) until I found out that probiotics can cure many digestive problems (such as IBS, UC, Chron's, peptic ulcers, acid reflux). I used several high dose probiotics so I can't tell which brand worked. The dosage is colony forming units (CFU) of these good bacteria. It may take trillions of CFS to cure digestive problems. I'd buy 3 combination probiotics with 20-50 billion CFU each and try it for a month to see if it works. It took me 2 months to cure my digestive symptoms.

I used one called VSL #3 for 10 days that contained 450 billion CFU each and those really seemed to help. It's been shown in scientific studies to treat IBS and ulcerative colitis. http://www.vsl3.com/VSL3/default.asp

zebedee
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2008, 3:51 pm

I went the natural route and brew my own kefir

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir

cheap and seems to help my frequent stomach problems.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 3:34 pm

I have a sensitive stomach (my mouth would disagree) but I wouldn't go as far to say that I have anything like IBS, etc. I'm am trying GF/CF diet and maybe probiotics enzymes to try reduce fatigue, anxiety and possibly improve my cognition.

Last edited by 0_equals_true on 21 Feb 2008, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 3:37 pm

zendell wrote:
I used to take digestive enzymes (I forget which brands) until I found out that probiotics can cure many digestive problems

That is interesting because one guy said the opposite. I guess it is worth trying both to see which one is more effective for you.

Many enzimes come with probiotics thrown in.

Is there any probiotic/enzymes that anyone has tried that is specially tied to ASD?

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 4:22 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
zendell wrote:
I used to take digestive enzymes (I forget which brands) until I found out that probiotics can cure many digestive problems

That is interesting because one guy said the opposite. I guess it is worth trying both to see which one is more effective for you.

Many enzimes come with probiotics thrown in.

Is there any probiotic/enzymes that anyone has tried that is specially tied to ASD?

There's one designed for autistics at http://www.customprobiotics.com/

"D-Lactate free probiotic formulation, most specific for autistic children. It consists of L. Salivarius, L. Rhamnosus, B. Bifidum and B. Infantis at 250 billion cfu's/gram. Price: $165 per 100 gram; $100 per 50 gram."

I haven't tried it because I only recently found out about it and don't need to take probiotics anymore.

Someone tried to do a good study on using probiotics to treat autistic children. They gave half the autistics probiotics and the other half ineffective pills (placebos) and were the going to switch the pills halfway to see if there is an improvement on the probiotics and a regression when they were removed. The problem was the autistics improved so much that their parents knew they were on the probiotics and refused to switch to the placebo and dropped out of the study. One mother said it was "heartbreaking" to have to stop the probiotic and move on to the placebo.

Here's the study that linked autism to gut microbes and used probiotics to treat autism
http://www.guardian.co.uk/print/0,,3295 ... 80,00.html