Page 15 of 28 [ 434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 28  Next

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 1:05 am

auntblabby wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
^^^i grok. consider watching "the yearling" sometime. set in the south just like "ol' yeller" and equally heartbreaking.

I think I saw The Yearling many years ago but I was in elementary school and barely remember it.

I think another sad movie involving dogs you would have enjoyed from that era was "Where the Red Fern Grows" :heart:

i read the book in jr. high school and it was sad for sure.

I remember reading the book and seeing the movie. It really was sad. :(

♤ The Military

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 1:16 am

King0fSpades wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
^^^i grok. consider watching "the yearling" sometime. set in the south just like "ol' yeller" and equally heartbreaking.

I think I saw The Yearling many years ago but I was in elementary school and barely remember it.

I think another sad movie involving dogs you would have enjoyed from that era was "Where the Red Fern Grows" :heart:

i read the book in jr. high school and it was sad for sure.

I remember reading the book and seeing the movie. It really was sad. :(

both movies of the book [1974 and 2003] were, unfortunately, mere shadows of the novel which was redolent of time and place.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 11:53 am

King0fSpades wrote:
I like the occassionally tear jerker. :)
I'm not sure it is exactly a tear jerker but if you're looking for a well-made depressing (slightly Science Fiction, mostly drama) movie you might try the very aptly named Melancholia [2011].

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 12:01 pm

Double Retired wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
I like the occassionally tear jerker. :)
I'm not sure it is exactly a tear jerker but if you're looking for a well-made depressing (slightly Science Fiction, mostly drama) movie you might try the very aptly named Melancholia [2011].

Sounds interesting. :)

Have you heard of a movie called A.I. Artificial Intelligence? It's like a futuristic take on the Pinocchio story about a robot child who gets taken in by a human family. It had some very emotional scenes. :(

♤ The Military

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 12:30 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
Have you heard of a movie called A.I. Artificial Intelligence? It's like a futuristic take on the Pinocchio story about a robot child who gets taken in by a human family. It had some very emotional scenes. :(
I'm familiar with it and, yes, it is kind of downbeat. Very well done, though.

If you are interested in downbeat Science Fiction movies I can think of a number of interesting choices...some are incredibly good and some are acceptably good. But Melancholia [2011] is, I think, the most melancholy science fiction movie I can think of.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 12:49 pm

Double Retired wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
I'm familiar with it and, yes, it is kind of downbeat. Very well done, though.

If you are interested in downbeat Science Fiction movies I can think of a number of interesting choices...some are incredibly good and some are acceptably good. But Melancholia [2011] is, I think, the most melancholy science fiction movie I can think of.

I will definitely keep a look out for it if I can find it on my Roku. :wtg:

♤ The Military

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 2:58 am

King0fSpades wrote:

AI made the whole theatre i was in, quietly weep. at the end of it, people slumped out, silent and looking down. it felt like a funeral. that "flesh fair" in the movie just about did me in.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 2:56 am

quartet [pedestrian effort at a feel good movie about old geezers]
burn after reading [felt like i needed to take a bath in chlorophyll afterwards, only one decent non-sociopathic character in this mud fest]. it shoulda been titled, "burn before viewing" IMHO.

Redpaws
Toucan
Toucan

06 Oct 2021, 5:51 am

Die hard 4.0
Intrusion

No terror, no war. No sympathy for terrorists or their supporters and sympathizers

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 5:03 pm

fargo. depressing dark tale, almost as nasty as any of the tarantino rot in terms of having almost no good human beings as characters, the coen brothers like to think of evil people as being "hip" but they can have 'em.
the little prince. a bit of a tear jerker, 3 hanky. a fuller musical take on antoine de st. exupery's fanciful, eloquent but sketchy tale. 5 stars. :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: richard kiley can really sing! :dj:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 6:33 pm

auntblabby wrote:
the rocky horror show. i guess one hadda be there.

A true classic of cult films! :)

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 6:45 pm

I nearly couldn't remember it was many months ago, ..... "lost Highway" (1997)...somebody said how sublime it is...what can i say it...was strange...it was David Lynch...apparently he has Aspergers...Not a fan of his movies or shows really....though i did watch and did like "Blue Velvet"

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 4:05 am

oh brother where art thou?
the easiest to take of the coen brothers' efforts. actual non-toxic human being characters in there, here and there.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 5:12 pm

Cronos

My mom and I both agreed about one factor of this movie:
"Don't play with anything that doesn't belong to you even if it's a beautiful antique like the scarab."

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 10:21 pm

In Time.

Everyone has a digital display on their arm showing how much time they have before they die. Time is used as currency. You get paid hours of life per day. The oligarchs are virtually immortal. Reminded me a bit of Logan's Run.

rottingpetal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Oct 2021, 11:18 pm

"No Country for Old Men," it was beautiful.