Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 2:58 pm

The funny thing is that my mum hasn't been bugging me about my weight, for five months, now and I've joined today. I want to fit back into a women's size 38 jeans. I'm also sick of being in pain in the morning, when I stand on my feet, after 8 steady hours of sleep. I want to keep a bit of that babyish Sid-like appearance. I can do that, by getting down to 180 lbs and staying there. I currently weigh 246 lbs, so that's 66 lbs that I'm planing to lose. I think that it would be pretty darn good, if I could lose 66 lbs.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 3:14 pm

I stopped bothering with Weight Watchers. Too expensive and I think I can pretty much keep a lid on my own weight. It only requires not eating like a complete pig and getting the right amount of exercise after all.

If you think you'll lose weight by taking that course of action then good luck to you. :)

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 3:20 pm

good luck mr.

this is how I keep my weight down. I tell myself I may eat as much as I like, so long as I only eat good for me foods. Because fruit and veg are so much more filling, I end up eating less (but feel full). Also, unless you are on a gluten free diet like I am now, you want whole grain bread and pasta. They keep you full for longer. Carry around raisins, it will stop you buying chocolate if you are out. Stop drinking any fizzy drinks, if you do - I know people who say they lost weight simply by stopping drinking Coke.

shaggydaddy
Toucan
Toucan

21 Feb 2008, 4:09 pm

After like 5 years of half-assed efforts to lose weight... I decided to lose 30 pounds in 2008. So far I am 16 down.

I am going from 220 to 190.

weight watchers plan is good for someone like me because it actually turns my weight loss into a firm math equation, which I find much easier to deal with than "Hey I'll just eat better and exercise more" which never actually works for me.

I will be honest, I use the weight watchers points system to basically count calories, and I do not actually subscribe to their plan.

The best part is that I have discovered my biggest problem is portion control. I tend to unemotionally and systematically eat whatever I put in front of my face. If I measure things out into "points" I know exactly how much to put in front of my face at a time.

After a week of eating 29 points a day, I found my stomach was physically too small to even over-eat anymore. Now I tend to have a tough time making it up to my daily points value. The best trick for me was to pre-plan all food in the morning (which would drive my wife crazy, but not me) then anytime I am hungry I eat 1 item (usually 2-3 points). That way your metabolism is always running, your stomache capacity shrinks and it takes much less food to get that stimulicious "full" feeling in your belly.

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 4:33 pm

Good luc,k CockneyRebel! I am struggling and I'm at the stage that if I don't lose weight it will impact on the quality of my life style.

I think a lot of the problem is the urge to reward myself.

Will I join with you? I've done it before ...before ...before....

Good luck!

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

abram
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Feb 2008, 5:13 pm

hey!
good luck!
my mother and grandmother joined 3 years ago and both lost a lot of weight and stayed that way

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 5:21 pm

nannarob wrote:
Good luc,k CockneyRebel! I am struggling and I'm at the stage that if I don't lose weight it will impact on the quality of my life.

Handing over a fiver a week to some fat old birds to measure your weight and tell you to do better next time is beyond a joke. No, the way to lose weight is to exercise and not drink so much. It's not difficult. It's just very difficult. ;)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 6:35 pm

I thank you all for the advice and support. I was getting tired of being told, "Just eat healthy and get lots of exercise!" I've kept asking myself, "How do I do that?" Thank you. :)

Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 7:03 pm

I wish you lots of luck!
A couple summers ago I joined weight watchers and actually lost 40 lbs!
It's a really good program. Stick with it and, even if you don't see instant results, you will definatly have more energy and just generally feel better.
Now, are you on the core program or are you counting points? Just curious.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 10:05 pm

Good luck to you, CockneyRebel!

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 10:29 pm

Go for it CockneyRebel!

Just be careful about making the food too bland or boring.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 2:54 pm

Jaejoongfangirl wrote:
I wish you lots of luck!
It's a really good program. Stick with it and, even if you don't see instant results, you will definatly have more energy and just generally feel better.

I'm counting Points, and I'm finding it easy. :)

Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 6:05 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Jaejoongfangirl wrote:
I wish you lots of luck!

I'm counting Points, and I'm finding it easy. :)

I did the point system too. It was suprisingly easy to adapt to, and it worked really well for me as well.
If you need some good, lowpoint food ideas, I'd be happy to share some. ^_^
If you want some real ice cream (not the weird tasting stuff), the slow/double churned kind is suprisingly lowpoint and also tastes fabulous.
There is also a brownie mix (I think its called No Pudge or something like that) that is really tasty. You can make a single serving of it in the microwave. You are supposed to add yogurt to the mix and then microwave it for a minute, but I like to use chocolate pudding (normal, sugar free or low fat) instead of the yogurt.
The end product doesn't really have a brownie texture, but (if you mix it well) it tastes like warm, molten brownies. Mmmmmm...

I have a ton more suggestions and ideas, but I won't share them all right now. (:

By the way, there's also this 'Dining Out' book that lists the point values for certain things at different fast food places and restaurants. I think they sell it @ the meetings and I highly recommend getting it.
Not only is it helpful, but I think there are also some coupons in the back of it.

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2008, 10:01 am

Moral support to you Sid.

Cameo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2008, 9:48 pm

Good luck! Remember, drink lots and lots and lots of water. :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 12:24 am

Thank you. :)