Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MsJ
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Feb 2008, 9:56 pm

I definitely prefer cats to dogs because dogs are way too needy. I enjoy being around other independent beings. Our 3 cats do their own thing, but stay close by either my boyfriend or myself depending on their moods. Except Sparkle, who's my cat alone and is suspicious of my boyfriend because she hates dogs (including my boyfriend's), and he always smells like dog, well, because of the dog! (I can't smell dog on him generally, but I know she does with her extra-perceptive kitty nose.) She stays close to me or hangs out by herself at the other end of the house. In general, all 3 are pretty low key most of the time, except around dinner, when they get really naggy, or if Sparkle wants to play or wants attention she'll let me know. But it's not all the time and she's very polite about it.

BTW, that's Sparkle in my profile pic, if you don't know. She would definitely be Aspie if she were human. Out of the other 3, I'd say our Tortie Binga is Borderline, and Boodie, the foster who never left, is more likely Autistic. That's my armchair diagnosis. :wink:

-J.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 12:49 am

Sparkle kinda looks like Clawdia.

Our remaining cat, Lovey (of the three cats we used to have)...is our most "AS" cat. She is the oldest, and having no real interest in the hierarchy among the cats, wound up on the bottom of it.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 1:05 am

asplanet wrote:
.It's said all cats have Aspergers because they do not like being told what to do, intelligent independent, hate change, emotionally detached, inquisitive and have a second sense. - Alyson Bradley

So I think so, and feel most other animals are - maybe its just that we seem to have a second sense like them!

There are a few threads already on this subject....

how are cats emotionally detached? - They kiss* the ones they love, and often accompany it with loud purring. My one cat used to put his arms on either side of my neck and wrap his excessively long tail around me, while he kissed me on the chin. He did this every time I picked him up. I had some barn cats kiss me when i returned home for the first time about a year after I moved out.

I also once saw two cats reuntied after being separated for about 4 weeks. The one put her front leg over the other and kissed him.

I'm told my current cat spends 10-15 minutes of every hour from 10 pm - 7 am walking around the house crying whenever i'm not home

I once had a spinal tap headache so severe I couldn't contemplate getting out of bed. The family's 6 cats pt a watch over me. There was never more than one cat in the room, but I was never without a cat. I remember when Scotty came in (the cat I mentioned above with the long tail). For the first time he didn't run straight to me and jump up. He sat in the doorway and meowed. he came when i called to him and sat by me purring, and gently rubbing up against me. That is also the only time in his life he didn't swat at me because I wasn't petting him with both hands (I definately had him spoiled)

*By kiss I am of course referring to the touch of ones face by the cats nose. This is very clearly different from sniffing.

Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 1:29 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Am believe cats can be on the autism spectrum,and they're not all aspie like,Biscuit is more Autie-like than anything.

Give it time,and it'll become a official cat diagnosis eventually,OCD and depression have.

I believe cats can be diagnosed with depression..

MsJ

27 Feb 2008, 2:09 am

poopylungstuffing wrote:
Sparkle kinda looks like Clawdia.

Did Clawdia attack her toys by jumping in midair? That is one of Sparkle's, uh, specialties:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DUaqzPgf94
(she does her famous jump around the last 5 seconds of the video - I was trying to catch it on vid)

Yes, my cat has a YouTube account. I must have some sort of feline delusional disorder in addition to AS.

-J.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 8:41 am

asplanet wrote:
.It's said all cats have Aspergers because they do not like being told what to do, intelligent independent, hate change, emotionally detached, inquisitive and have a second sense. - Alyson Bradley

So I think so, and feel most other animals are - maybe its just that we seem to have a second sense like them!

There are a few threads already on this subject....
Every cat I've had:

Filthy attention whore
Imbecile, highly dependent
Takes days to notice massive changes in surroundings
Very curious about food. Crap factory
Doesn't even seem to have all five senses
Pushover

I love them, though.

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 9:24 am

`Well, there is a book on that subject called 'all cats have aspergers'. I have it and love that book. I like them because they are not deceptive about how they feel or what they want. except when you open the door for them to go out. then they cant seem to decide. They do seem to be very intuitive. I was sick all week last week and my cats kept quiet when i was running a fever. They also took turns sitting with me. nothing more soothing than a purring kitty.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 10:10 am

I wonder what dogs would have then? ADHD?

My dog definitely does, lol. She is like a white bullet.

Taking a break.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 10:56 am

Black labs:

Don't mind being yelled at or swatted during training as long as it is clarified that this treatment is intended to make them better at what they are being trained to do. In fact, they seem to derive a great deal of gratification from strict, high-intensity training. If you so much as raise your voice to them under any other circumstances, they will look annoyingly pitiful and feeling-hurt.

Their diets are catholic, and they will literally eat themselves to death if given encouragement to do so by children who don't know when to stop. Every single one of them has one particular food that doesn't seem to swallow, and it's generally going to be something that you wouldn't expect a dog to turn down.

Sense of humor: perverse.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 11:16 am

I think that they are. They cuddle with people, on their own terms. Not when their owners want them to cuddle with them. They are also very wise.

HolyAtheist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Feb 2008, 5:13 pm

This reminds me of the gem I heard when I was at a Tony Attwood conference:

Quote:
Cats are autistic dogs.