Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 9:13 am

Am have a high [non existant] pain threshold on outside of body,never feel pain no matter how severe a injury/accident/burn/ whatever is.
Am do feel pain on the inside though but not sure whether it's 'normal','low' or 'high' level,am have migraines, pain from wisdom tooth on it's side and trigeminal neuralgia,am also get deep severe vibrating sort of headaches after have been headbanging or meltdowning.
Am hate it when staff don't want to give am painkillers for the headaches/pain because they say am should not be able to feel pain as am don't on the outside of body.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2008, 2:35 pm

i used to walk around miami florida, on black asphalt, in the summer, without shoes on, and be fine.
but try to tickle me, or lightly touch my back, and it is uncomfortable. do it long enough and i start crying.
(my mom used to tickle me all the time, she thought it was funny that i was crazy ticklish, drove me nuts)
I always win at "cry uncle" (where you grab hands and fight to bend them back until someone crys "uncle") simply because i would just let them bend my hands back.
Both of my large toe nails have been ripped off and they didn't hurt.
I slam into things all the time, and i don't notice any pain, but i end up with like 3 to 5 inch wide bruises, and usually can't remember where exactly each one came from.

i have actually turned masochistic, because the pleasure sensors just don't do anything for me. In fact, most actually turn me off.

Deber
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Apr 2009, 9:57 pm

Wow, I'm so glad to read about high pain tolerance and ASD. My friends and relatives think I am crazy but I recently got diagnosed with ASD so now I understand more about my pain threshold.

I wear my socks and panties inside out because I can't tolerate seams. I cut out tags in my clothes. I swear I can feel sunbeams so I don't go out in sunshine if I can help it.

I have always used really hot water in the tub or shower, or even to wash dishes. No one else in my family can tolerate it.

I have let 4 teeth abscess to the point where the roots were dissolved. Last year I had 2 abscessed teeth in my upper jaw and it eventually caused me to have heart palpitations and fall over with dizziness. Went to the ER cause my coworkers thought I was having a heart attack. Nothing was wrong with my heart and after a few hours I overloaded, pulled out the tubes and left. Went to the dentist for my annual cleaning and she noticed something unusual in the x-ray and pulled the teeth, said they had been infected for years and now my jaw bone is partially gone and I have sinus problems.

I'm trying to resolve an issue with my right shoulder/arm/wrist. New Dr. says I have chronic tendinitis and have torn the tendons so many times that it may take surgery and a cast to get them to heal. I can't stop using my right arm long enough for the tendons to heal. I'm old and it may take several months. I dont' want to wear a cast. Also have carpal tunnel and Dr. suspects a tear in my shoulder.

I have been trying to compare what I think is a pain free part of my body to an injured part to compare the sensations. I am learning how to recognize pain but don't want to take pain medications. I'm afraid if I took meds that I would really hurt myself. I want to heal the damaged part.

How do you stop using a body part long enough for it to heal?

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 10:37 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
It depends. Some things are hypersensitive. But my shins don't appear to hurt when struck. In martial arts the sifu demonstrated kicking my shins with the edge of his shoe, apparently that is meant to make you jump back but it doesn't really bother me. If he would do a leg scrape that would hurt.

It depends with me too: I am hypersensitive when it comes to smell, but I have a high threshold generally with pain, but not that extreme as described above. Before I learned about Aspergers I blamed an accident as a child for this high threshold: I burned myself with a pot of boiling soup and it was in 1960s not common to give children any pain killers at all, so the whole treatment over a year was quite painful. I thought that I learned to ignore pain in this age, but my mother told later my that I was quite and clam, even by procedures which must be painful.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 2:24 am

Hmmm... Overall I'm normal but it really depends on the type of pain.

Blunt trauma doesn't seem to hurt me as much compared to other people and I don't bruise easily. I remember rolling out of the top bunk (probably 6 feet high) at camp and landing on a hardwood floor. The crash woke everyone else up but I initially thought that I'd fallen asleep on the floor because I didn't feel anything.

But then I'm very sensitive to sharp or localized pains. Stuff like hang nails, blisters, canker sores, zits, etc., now that kind of stuff bugs the crap out of me. Oh, and I almost forgot dental pain. I have extremely sensitive teeth. Can't eat something cold immediately followed by something hot (or vice versa) without my mouth giving me hell.

animal
Toucan
Toucan

07 Apr 2009, 2:24 am

Yeah I pull my nails off too. I also peel the skin off my feet until blood comes. I stop then because I don't want to stain my socks or the carpet. I don't feel hurt by these things. I'm just fascinated by the physicality of myself, because I find it hard to relate to that part of me. I'm kind of surprised that it's real, that I can affect it, that it can affect me. This never ceases to amaze me.

When I'm already overstimulated, light touches do cause pain/discomfort. But mainly I find touch so strange and alien that I just have to analyse it and deliberately seek interesting textures, just so that I can discover the limits of everything, the touch-appearance of everything. For some reason all this seems surreal to me, despite the fact that it occurs constantly.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 2:52 am

I have a low pain threshold. Damn you people that aren't. I'm kidding, but I'm also clumsy so when I bump into things oh man I can feel it.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 4:19 am

Quote:
Danielismyname wrote:
Mum2ASDboy wrote:
That first piece makes sense to me! Damo will say that I am hurting him when all I am trying to do is pick him up to move him. At times the tiniest touch 'hurts' him yet he will fall over on the lino and laugh :?

That's how it goes for those with an ASD. I have a young relative with autism who always takes her clothes off for they hurt her, and she doesn't like water "running" on her skin for the same reason. Touching your son really does hurt him, the touch itself; a soft touch is different from the impact of a fall. It looks illogical on first viewing, but if someone has a mixed up sensory system, there's no reason why the hard impact will be the soft touch to him, and the soft touch will be the hard impact.

I don't wear a shirt around the house for it's uncomfortable (I cannot wear a watch too), it hurts, but I'll fall over and feel nothing--I notice I always have bruises that I have no idea when/how they happened, but since I don't feel too much external pain, I kinda throw myself around haphazardly (not caring if my shoulder smacks into the door frame for example).

It's a neurological condition, and sensory symptoms originate from the CNS (brain).

I am a bruiser from way back. Always have bruises on legs here and there due to banging into things (slight vestibular issues - reading spatial incorrectly - I clip corners, etc...) and the fact i don't feel these things much. (except i am hyper-sensitive in the mouth with dental stuff.)

As a child, i was the kid with no jumper on in winter when it was freezng cold. I would fall over a lot, scrape myself, rough and tumble and never really feel it - just get up and get on with things. I think i have had a kind of body agnosia most of my life.
I can only really wear cotton. the tags are cut off most things unless they are very soft tags that do not prickle and itch.

One of the most nauseating things i can experience is soft touch. a slight brush of someone's hand or skin really nauseates me. IT is not classic harsh pain - but a terrible kind of sick feeling - very intense and very overwhelming.
droplets of rain water on my skin feel terrible. I need a hard shower....

i also have visual actuity issues so on some days the colours of peoples faces can be more intense and hideous. the mall is like a horror movie on bad days.

My son knows i only like firm touch and hard pressure.
He told me this year after i was diagnosed that i have always hurt him when i have hugged him and kissed him. I have always done these things FAR TOO HARD for his little body and face. IT is good he has told me this. I had no idea. I just do it firmly because if it is too gentle it makes me sick and feels terrible.
Now we have a new system of affection that is better for him and for me.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 4:26 am

Internally, I'm very sensitive to pain.

Externally, I don't feel anything if it's a hit, cut, burn, or some other type of hard energy applied, but I feel the slightest of touches, and that bothers me (tags on shirts, and even shirts hurt sometimes).

animal
Toucan
Toucan

07 Apr 2009, 4:33 am

millie wrote:
One of the most nauseating things i can experience is soft touch. a slight brush of someone's hand or skin really nauseates me. IT is not classic harsh pain - but a terrible kind of sick feeling - very intense and very overwhelming.
droplets of rain water on my skin feel terrible. I need a hard shower....

i also have visual actuity issues so on some days the colours of peoples faces can be more intense and hideous. the mall is like a horror movie on bad days.

Ooooooh I get that sick feeling too. It's yucky. Makes me shiver and my head crawls.

I also have that visual acuity problem. Colours do indeed suck sometimes. And the pimples on people's faces - my God the pimples. It's amazing. Awful, but amazing. Yeah total horror movie. And do you find that edges seem so razor sharp that they cut your eyes? Like on packages and such.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 8:03 am

I have a low pain threshold.

AlexJade
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Apr 2009, 9:03 am

I have an extremely high physical pain threshold. I broke my collar bone and shoulder and never went to the doc for it, just taped the arm to the my body and let it heal(big mistake, really screwed up that arm). Emotionally I am an overfilled balloon and easily break down. I often will often hurt myself because I can deal with the physical pain easier than emotional.

zerooftheday
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Apr 2009, 11:21 am

I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but I can't stand wearing clothes that feel like they're pulling at me. I really, really hate things tugging at my neck.

I cut my hand open at work, bled all over the place and I just kinda stared at it as I walked to the nearest first aid kit. Watch the blood puddle on the back of my hand, watched it spill. I was just...detached from it all, like it was happening to someone else.

I've also noticed that if I'm doing something strenuous, I can detach my mind from my body and just keep moving. A couple weeks ago I was running in a laser tag arena and I hadn't slept in over 30 hours.

That being said, I'm very emotionally sensitive. I get all fired up or torn up over the smallest things.

ngonz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Apr 2009, 11:29 am

Here's a story for you: My nerves are all messed up. They often are not where they "should" be. When I have dental work done, I get 4 novacaines instead of one because I am so sensitive to pain and the nerves in my mouth, according to my dentist, are not exactly where they should be.

The nerves in my legs are hypersensitive. If I just bump or brush my legs against something even slightly, it feels like a bruise and hurts for a bit.

BUT, I totally blew out my ACL and didn't even know it. I developed necrosis of part of the knee bone and really bad arthritis. It hurt, but I still got around every day, went to work, etc. A month ago, I went in for a partial knee replacement, the doctor opens the knee and sees no ACL whatsoever---just the stub of a remnant where it used to be. How and when did I tear it?? I hear it is an excruciating injury. Weird, huh?

www.neurointegrity.com

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 3:12 pm

I'm a lot more ticklish than most people, but my pain tolerance is a bit higher than normal. Getting hit by something or falling doesn't hurt that much, but muscle spasms hurt like a b***h.

11krage
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Apr 2009, 6:21 pm

My legs were literally black and blue throughout my childhood from falling down and walking into things but I'd never notice I'd hurt myself until I saw the bruises later on. Once I even burned my leg on a exhaust pipe quite badly and wandered around the garden for an hour until my parents noticed it.

However I would scream in agony and dissolve into painfilled tears whenever my mum brushed my hair because it hurt so much.

I figured I just had a weird makeup - too ultra sensitive on my head and decreasing in sensitivity down my body to my feet which felt pretty much numb to supposidly painful stimuli. Thankfully its evened out a little with age.

http://the-quiet-ones.blogspot.com/