Chatting in the Net vs Chatting In Person

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 6:14 pm

Chatting on internet Gud. Chatting IRL Bad.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 10:16 pm

I'm a little too talkative in person...maybe that bleeds over to this forum...;) but I can take things back this way before posting...;)

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 10:59 pm

wsmac wrote:
Joking around is often mistaken on the internet as being serious and I've seen some harsh words typed because of this misunderstanding.
I think the smilies help a bit, though.

Sometimes I think it's got to be intentional. When I read posts—unless the person's grammar is atrocious—I rarely have much trouble understanding the meaning and when the author intends to make a joke or not (not that I always find the joke funny). Certain sites, WrongPlanet.net and Slashdot to name two, are notorious for this; it must be the autistic mindset (funny that I don't suffer from this).

On the other hand, offline I don't so much misinterpret what people mean to say, but I grossly misjudge what people probably already know, what their opinion might be, etc.

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 11:53 pm

I prefer using the internet. This way, when I talk in-depth about a particular topic, I don't annoy another person, as they can choose not to read what I post if they aren't interested. If they do become annoyed, it merely becomes their own fault.

That, and I can appear much more 'normal' online than in real life. Online, no one knows what my voice sounds like(close to monotone) and my near lack of gestures/eye contact doesn't make people think I'm 'creepy'.

I used to like being 'creepy' once I learned it would bring me attention(I was a teenager when I learned this), but I don't anymore.

herakh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2008, 9:58 am

wow, so many people prefer to talking online. i thought i was the only one...

anyway, is this is a typical trait of AS? or that it belongs to something else?