Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

alphacent
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Feb 2008, 11:14 am

I have read the theory about "finger-length" analysis that goes something like this:
Heterosexual females: ring and index fingers are about same length.
Gay females: ring finger is longer than index finger.
Heterosexual males: ring finger is longer than index finger.
Gay males: index finger is longer than ring finger.

I have also read that people with autism supposedly have long ring fingers, reflecting high levels of testosterone (starting at the fetus stage of development).
So, what about a gay male such as myself? I fit the AS model very strongly, but also am gay. What happened to my testosterone--ha ha! My index finger is longer than my ring finger.

Certainly there must be other males with AS who are also gay. What does this say about the testosterone theory? My own guess is that my AS and gayness neutralize each other to some degree--I am neither as "macho" as my AS might make me, nor as feminine as my gayness would make me. People who meet me do not see either trait in me at first! Thus, I am guessing that this "neutralization" of both parts of my personality is a reality.
Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 11:22 am

The index/ring finger ratio is only affected by the testosterone level you were exposed to in the womb. There's no evidence that sexual orientation has anything to do with hormones.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

ButchCoolidge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2008, 12:06 pm

I am of the firm belief that sexual orientation is at least 90% mental. I'll be damned if the length of my fingers has anything to do with my sexuality.

AndersTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 12:08 pm

Aspies are macho by default? Gays are feminine by default? What did I miss?

24 Feb 2008, 12:21 pm

on my right hand my ring finger is longer than my index finger but on my left hand both fingers are about the same length.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 12:25 pm

I've always been into palmistry, don't know if it's true that it describes one's personality. The determination of your sexuality by the ratio of each finger is something I've never heard of. Maybe, you're right, don't know. Everyone is so different when it comes to terms of sexuality and sexual identity. Interesting theory.

Spiral153
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Feb 2008, 5:35 pm

AndersTheAspie wrote:
Aspies are macho by default? Gays are feminine by default? What did I miss?

Seriously! When I read that, I was like, "Whaaaaat?"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 5:40 pm

Sexual orientation is likely correlated to hormone exposure in utero. I think it has more to do with Androgen, and not testosterone.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 6:14 pm

I have always thought the whole ring finger/index finger thing and sexuality is a load of crap. I am bisexual, yet my ring finger is shorter than my index finger. And I used to date a girl who had heterosexual female fingers, yet she was an out and out lesbian, she's never even kissed another guy. I think that you are who you are, no matter what size each of your fingers, toes, elbows, knees or craniums are.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 7:53 pm

KimJ wrote:
Sexual orientation is likely correlated to hormone exposure in utero. I think it has more to do with Androgen, and not testosterone.

Testosterone is the MAIN androgen.

BTW AS people don't act more macho! And even the effeminate homosexuals are NOT feminine, even if they aren't masculine either. It is like a cheap and poor imitation.

Aoife
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Feb 2008, 8:16 pm

So, going by that I'd be a gay female or a hetero- male, and I am neither. :roll:

Way off....

...[T]here's nothing in the world more unpredictable than people...logic and order don't really exist in human emotions.
--Jan Hartman

alphacent

24 Feb 2008, 11:33 pm

As the instigator of this topic, I wish to list the primary book that discusses the "finger-length" theory:

Digit Ratio: A Pointer to Fertility, Behavior, and Health (A volume in the Rutgers Series in Human Evolution, edited by Robert Trivers.) (Paperback)
by John T. Manning (Author)

I am just as curious as the rest of you to find the "causes" of AS and of abnormal sexual orientations. Until we know the actual causes, I am willing to listen to any theories, as long as they are scientific.

There are other web sites that discuss the possible connection between autism and a long ring finger. You can search Google with "key words" to find these discussions.

I'm not sure if Aspies are supposed to be "macho" or not, just because a high level of testosterone in the fetus might have contributed to autism. So, I am really just looking for input.
Thanks.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2008, 9:58 am

I'm gay and AS. My finger length is different on both hands. My right hand ring finger is longer than my index finger (dominate hand); opposite of my left hand. I don't know why?? And growing up I was considered androgynous and still am to some degree, but I intentionally try to act more macho: it's just easier.

Sorry so short and compact. :)

2fishes
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Feb 2008, 11:13 am

Okay - I'm gay and have mild Aspergers. Anyone else here in Austin Texas?

Liopleurodon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Feb 2008, 11:17 am

alphacent wrote:
I am just as curious as the rest of you to find the "causes" of AS and of abnormal sexual orientations. Until we know the actual causes, I am willing to listen to any theories, as long as they are scientific.

Excuse me?

Are you trying to wind me up, or do you not realise how offensive that is?

Likho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2008, 11:24 am

alphacent wrote:
Heterosexual females: ring and index fingers are about same length.
Gay females: ring finger is longer than index finger.
Heterosexual males: ring finger is longer than index finger.
Gay males: index finger is longer than ring finger.?
but that would mean im a gay male... o.o
im bisexual/gay female. XD