The beautiful, most popular girl at school....

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Legato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 2:49 pm

My cousin told me a strange story the other day that I would never have guessed. It boggled my mind so much until a days' brain churning sorted out all the emotional logic behind it.

My cousin went to a party college here in Utah(yes, they exist in utah :P), and met a girl there he knew from high school. This girl was that stereotypical blonde cheerleader, most popular girl in school. When they met in college she was an emotional wreck, and pretty much a slut, and an alcoholic.

One thing my cousin told me she said to him though, is that every friday night throughout the entirety of high school, she sat at home. She never went out with any guys in high school. Why, you ask? Because she put the image of being so popular and perfect and blahblahblah, that every guy in the whole school, even the football jocks, were too scared to ask her out. Strange story? Perhaps it isn't that uncommon.

AndersTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 4:24 pm

So popular that she had no friends you say? Human are strange creatures indeed :?

kindofbluenote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Feb 2008, 6:00 pm

It's like a restaurant that nobody goes to because it's too crowded...

Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 8:11 pm

Why people care about their image that much is beyond me. :?

GrantZilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2008, 2:26 am

That's not that uncommon. Girls, epsecially at in the teen years, are more competitive wit h each other then men. They pretty much ban together against girls that are threats aka more pretty.

Funny, ask most girls and they are not friends with anyone from high school, either because their friends stole their boyfriend, or they did, or some sort of backstabbing.

Yet there are more guys that got friends all the way back from grade school. The "bros before hos" mentality.

Legato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2008, 11:04 am

Not that she had no friends, just no dates\boyfriends.

AndersTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2008, 3:33 pm

886 wrote:

Why there is such a thing as cheerleaders is beyond me... I am perfectly capable of cheering on my own accord thank you!
Idolizing cheerleaders is spitting in evolutions face it is :x

te5torx
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Feb 2008, 5:20 pm

One could extend that sentiment to the fact that I can throw and catch a ball on my own. If anything, I would argue that professional cheerleaders are less of an evolutionary anomaly than professional athletes. After all, it would seem more valuable to have beautiful women cheering me on as I perform a task than it would to watch someone else throw a ball from place to place.

Clearly, the fact that we as a society spend so much money on sports entertainment demonstrates that it must fill some societal need. It is obviously highly valued in our society.

I understand this intellectually but can't seem to grasp it within myself. I don't believe in idolizing anyone for anything. Heroes are for suckers.

AndersTheAspie wrote:
886 wrote:

Why there is such a thing as cheerleaders is beyond me... I am perfectly capable of cheering on my own accord thank you!
Idolizing cheerleaders is spitting in evolutions face it is :x

lonelyLady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2008, 9:54 pm

I've been disliked by males (in a romantic sense) just about all my life, and people tell me that it's because they are "intimidated" by me--they tell me that because I am smart, good-looking, and confident, it scares guys away. I don't think that's true, but if it is then it goes along the same lines as your story.

p.s.
unlike that cheerleader, I discovered that statistics is a lot more satisfying and fun than men. I treat them with the same indifference that they treat me, and sometimes I end up having purely platonic guy friends. in short, I learned to like myself even though other people don't, so I didn't become an alcoholic.....

jman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 9:35 am

There was a situation similar to this in my HS, only he was a male, a jock, and yet he hung himself on his front porch sophmore year

aries
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Mar 2008, 7:23 pm

I knew a girl like that at school in the year above. She was really pretty, very bright. Got perfect grades and was the best female distance runner in the school. She could beat nearly all the guys too. But nobody ever asked her out as far as I knew despite the fact that almost every boy in the whole school fancied her. I guess she intimidated them. I certainly wouldn't think I would have a chance if I asked her out. So who did think they had a chance? Evidently no one except when we went on a foreign school trip. We went with another school and one of the guys from that school asked her out and they became an item on holiday. He didn't know all that stuff about her so he wasn't intimidated :)