Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Asha
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 41

24 Feb 2008, 3:10 pm

Everything is relative. Nothing is certain.

It takes 16 minutes to get to school. Sometimes 16 minutes is very quick, sometimes very slow. It can't both be slow and quick so my perception must be innacurate. How can you say how long something takes is sometimes it is quick and sometimes it is short and it is still 16 minutes?

How can I know that other people see 16 minutes as I see 16 minutes?
How can I be sure that other people are conscious at all? They might be objects or just things.
I need to do the right thing. How do I know what is right? And one thing that is right for me might not be right for anybody else, or if it is right for me is it automatically right for everybody else too? Everything is so confusing.

All I know is I am me. And I am here. And I am always me despite what happens to the world around me.



Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,980

24 Feb 2008, 3:20 pm

Asha wrote:
Everything is relative. Nothing is certain.


Mathematics is certain!

Quote:
It takes 16 minutes to get to school. Sometimes 16 minutes is very quick, sometimes very slow. It can't both be slow and quick so my perception must be innacurate. How can you say how long something takes is sometimes it is quick and sometimes it is short and it is still 16 minutes?

How can I know that other people see 16 minutes as I see 16 minutes?


Well, that's a matter of psychology depending on a number of neurological variables.

Quote:
How can I be sure that other people are conscious at all? They might be objects or just things.


Because you know that you're conscious, and you know that our brains our identical [from the point of view of humanity as a species, obviously we're unique].

Quote:
I need to do the right thing. How do I know what is right? And one thing that is right for me might not be right for anybody else, or if it is right for me is it automatically right for everybody else too? Everything is so confusing.


That's a big issue. Morality is relative to an extent. There are some morals that we take as almost axiomatic truths, that are logical to obey (it does not make much sense to murder our brethren), but others are more ambiguous (especially religious morality, like abortion, premarital sex, etc.).


_________________
Un-ban Chever! Viva La Revolucion!


Asha
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 41

24 Feb 2008, 3:25 pm

Quote:
Mathematics is certain

Only if the four assumptions it is based on are correct.

Quote:
it does not make much sense to murder our brethren

why not?



Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,980

24 Feb 2008, 3:29 pm

Asha wrote:
Only if the four assumptions it is based on are correct.


Space, quantity, structure, and change? What do you mean?

Quote:
why not?


Because they are, or could be, assets to help us in our survival (obviously self-defense is an exception). What sense does wanton slaughter make to you?


_________________
Un-ban Chever! Viva La Revolucion!


Last edited by Phagocyte on 24 Feb 2008, 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chouchou
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2008
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 40
Location: U.S.

24 Feb 2008, 3:29 pm

I don't believe in the existence of time. I can't really make an argument as to why I think time doesn't exist as I don't have an extensive knowledge of theoretical physics, but the whole notion just seems like a huge logical fallacy. Things change, age, and deteriorate, but that's not sufficient in my opinion to justify time's existence.


_________________
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -- Albert Einstein


Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,980

24 Feb 2008, 3:31 pm

chouchou wrote:
I don't believe in the existence of time. I can't really make an argument as to why I think time doesn't exist as I don't have an extensive knowledge of theoretical physics, but the whole notion just seems like a huge logical fallacy. Things change, age, and deteriorate, but that's not sufficient in my opinion to justify time's existence.


I think that time exists because it can be dilated it's actions can be [mathematically] described (like the Lorentz Transformation for example) based on variables.


_________________
Un-ban Chever! Viva La Revolucion!


Asha
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 41

24 Feb 2008, 3:41 pm

Quote:
What sense does wanton slaughter make to you?

No more sense than wanton kindness. We are atoms. If atoms exist. Why do I have to say good-morning? Does the universe ascribe a judgement to wanton slaughter?

Quote:
What do you mean?

Parallel line never hit. But they do on a curve. Logic is fallable because it is bound to human perception and not reality. Even maths.



Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,980

24 Feb 2008, 3:46 pm

Asha wrote:
No more sense than wanton kindness. We are atoms. If atoms exist. Why do I have to say good-morning? Does the universe ascribe a judgement to wanton slaughter?


Kindness makes human interactions easier and allows us to function in our everyday lives in a more efficient manner. For example, I walk into class. I can either punch the professor, and get kicked out of school and my dreams trampled, or I can be polite and kind, which will make him/her more likely to aid me and help me succeed in my pursuits. How is that not logical?

Quote:
Parallel line never hit. But they do on a curve. Logic is fallable because it is bound to human perception and not reality. Even maths.


Just because you have not adapted your mode to thinking doesn't mean that mathematics is bound to human perception. In euclidean space, they never hit, but on a sphere, which is a manifold and bound to it's own rules (which are still independent from our perception) they do.


_________________
Un-ban Chever! Viva La Revolucion!


Asha
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 41

24 Feb 2008, 3:54 pm

Phagocyte, what subject are you studying?

I need to go to bed now.



Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,980

24 Feb 2008, 3:57 pm

Asha wrote:
Phagocyte, what subject are you studying?

I need to go to bed now.


I study biology at Rutgers University. I am thinking about pure mathematics, but my math is a little behind, so I'm taking three math classes this summer (up to and including calculus II if all goes well), so by Fall I'll be able to see what I really want to do.

What about you?


_________________
Un-ban Chever! Viva La Revolucion!


pakled
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,827

24 Feb 2008, 10:22 pm

I would think that taking 3 math classes would cause time to slow down...or at least feel that way...;)



Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,980

24 Feb 2008, 10:59 pm

pakled wrote:
I would think that taking 3 math classes would cause time to slow down...or at least feel that way...;)


Yeah really. The way I see it, it will give me something productive to do during the summer and bump me up to a sophomore standing as a math major if that was a path I was interested in.

Plus, it's an excuse for not having a job. :lol:


_________________
Un-ban Chever! Viva La Revolucion!


Asha
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 41

25 Feb 2008, 12:34 pm

I would be in the first year of 6th form if I was in Britain. I want to study theoretical pysics.



D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,589

25 Feb 2008, 1:32 pm

Quote:
Everything is relative. Nothing is certain.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Uh-Huh :lol:


So are you Uncertain about the FACT that one day you will die??.............



Odin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2006
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,498
Location: Moorhead, Minnesota, USA

25 Feb 2008, 3:39 pm

The flow of time is an illusion, all moments exist as states of a unified spacetime.

Ontological Eternalism

Quote:
Eternalism is a philosophical approach to the ontological nature of time. It builds on the standard method of modeling time as a dimension in physics, to give time a similar ontology to that of space. This would mean that time is just another dimension, that future events are "already there", and that there is no objective flow of time. It is sometimes referred to as the "Block Time" or "Block Universe" theory due to its description of space-time as an unchanging four-dimensional "block", as opposed to the common-sense view of the world as a three-dimensional space modulated by the passage of time.


_________________
My Blog: My Autistic Life