Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2008, 7:20 pm

No, I only give them when I know it's expected by people I'm comfortable with like my grandparents. But if someone, even parents or other family members try to give me an unexpected hug, I stiffen up, then when I realize what they are doing, I give them a quick pat before pulling away. I'm not very physically affectionate with people, and sometimes even flinch or unconciously lean away when people get too close. But to animals I'm extemely affectionate. I often forget how to be polite and proper to people I meet, but I never forget to greet their pets with a smile and a pat. Not sure why that is.

AngelUndercover
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2008, 7:24 pm

I love hugs :)

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 7:33 pm

Pithlet wrote:
I'm not very physically affectionate with people, and sometimes even flinch or unconciously lean away when people get too close. But to animals I'm extemely affectionate. I often forget how to be polite and proper to people I meet, but I never forget to greet their pets with a smile and a pat. Not sure why that is.

I think it's because animals love us without expecting anything in return except a pat on the head. Pets don't judge us and they don't expect us to be perfect. They love us for who we are and nothing more.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 8:36 pm

Hugs are great though I'm a little starved for them. :(

1. I very very rarely ever hug anyone except my wife - she's a jealous person. Also, I'm terrified of the implications because people read things into them - even virtual hugs.

2. I don't go hugging my wife all the time either because the kids get in the way a lot and because it's usually interpreted wrongly - as a sign I want something else - and I don't really like kisses - and because she's almost always sitting down.

It's not unusual for aspies to like hugs...
Kissing and stroking however ... I don't really enjoy.

Wistaria
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2008, 8:50 pm

I don't mind giving hugs if I feel genuine about it, but I loathe being on the recieving end; And I detest being forced into it, especially if the other party is using peer pressure or emotional blackmail.

For me, even platonic hugs are intimate; They're too special to be given out arbitrarily. Kisses and anything else more intimate like that are outright disgusting and forbidden, I'll physically defend myself if somebody tries to force them onto me.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 9:24 pm

I don't like hugs and will never initiate a hugging session nor receive one well.

I'll shake a person's hand at most, and even that is a bit too much...

I'd rather people didn't touch me and I didn't need to touch people.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 9:38 pm

I hug wannabees topic

I think I would enjoy that hug machine, as long as it was safe and would not crush me like a snake. I hug my kids, but it feels so artificial when people other than my kids so it to me. I am not in favour of it generally. I experience a sort of strangeness when it happens.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 9:45 pm

:O) I love hugs.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 10:03 pm

depends on who's hugging me...;)

chouchou
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2008, 10:09 pm

I don't like to give out hugs or receive them, nor do I like being touched in any way. I don't mind giving high-fives or shaking hands, but I'm a little uncomfortable with anything beyond those. I like showing appreciation or affection in less direct ways.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -- Albert Einstein

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2008, 12:15 am

I like hugs, just not all the time and not little soft light hugs.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

orangered
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2008, 11:33 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Although am not aspie [wasn't sure if this thread is only aimed at aspies?] ,am do like hugs-extremely tight ones,but it took twenty years to find that one out,as am always kicked and punched anyone away who tried to hug.
Then am was given a 'bear hug' by one of the support staff am had at college at the SEN/disability courses certificate presentations,and am had never had a better feeling than that.

It took me thirty years to get a 'bear hug'. Until then, I simply did not understand why people hug me.
Now I like hugs, but I have to find a source of bear hugs :cry: , regular ones are nothing like that.

kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2008, 11:42 am

my son loves being hugged. well sometimes he tells me to cut it out, but i think that's just the kid in him getting annoyed by his mom for hugging too much lol

AndersTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2008, 11:52 am

gbollard wrote:
I'm terrified of the implications because people read things into them - even virtual hugs.quote]

Yeah... that is pretty much me. I love to give hugs most of all, but getting them from the right person sure can be nice too. Why do people have to read so much into them though? Now there is a place where women just have it easier, they can hug eachother all they want and nobody will look strange at them... unless the one they are hugging is a stranger ofcourse.

Quote:
It's not unusual for aspies to like hugs...
Kissing and stroking however ... I don't really enjoy.

Another thing that is pretty much me. I just don't get kissing... is there even a point?

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2008, 12:42 pm

i like hugs, too - as long as i like the person. hugging or being hugged by some stranger would be weird somehow...
hugs by pretty girls are accepted all time of the day, though. :) (thats probably superficial to no end, but thats how it is)

missboots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2008, 12:48 pm

I like hugs when the person I'm hugging and I know eachother and want to hug them. I'll hug others, even if I wasn't expecting it and don't hate it. I like really strong hugs, but only a couple of people I've hugged in my lifetime have been strong-huggers. My boyfriend doesn't hug me super tight or anything, but he does randomly squish me. Which I enjoy. =D