Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2005, 8:10 pm

fionaban wrote:
did u know that Hans Asperger was not German, he was born in vienna therefore is was an austiran just like hittler and any other austiran who ppl h8.

Who are the other Austrians that people hate? I, for one, do not hate Austrians. After all, the inventor of PEZ was Austrian! :)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2005, 8:37 pm

I can't remember where I heard this but I think aspie's were actually accepted by Hitler. I don't know if Hans Asperger had anything to do with proving aspie usefulness in an arean society but from what I've read of translations of Asperger's papers it seems like he was more or less praising our potential for the most part. When I talked with someone about this a while back we were kicking arround the possiblity that Hans Asperger may have been playing the same kind of role for us that Schindler tried to for the jews who worked in his camps - not the most likely explanation perhaps but its an interesting possibility.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2005, 11:06 am

Hans Asperger was a very dedicated man to the children he studied and worked with. His pediatric clinic was bombed in WWII. I don't suspect Asperger liked Hitler much. His head nurse was killed in one of these raids.

As for his subject of study, Asperger had some Aspie qualities, himself. Perhaps that is what interested him with these kids in the first place?

PS- There were many Germans and Austrians who hated Hitler. They were just too scared to do anything-- scared for their lives and the lives of their family and friends. Who wouldn't have done the same? The suggestion that all of Germany and Austria are still filled with Nazis is a flat-out stereotype. Just like the US's persisting inaccurate impression of Communism. As for Nazis, I'm sure there are plenty of Neo-Nazis right here in America-- and they are "considered" very patriotic citizens.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2005, 11:25 am

Yeah, that's extremely true Sophist; we have some German foreign exchange students at my high school, and they say that if they are waving flags and being all patriotic than they judge that as agreeing with nazism. There aren't that many people who wave lots of flags in front of their houses in Germany. It's also a fact that only 10 percent of the population were Nazis, and they were practically manipulated and brain washed to join. They had total control over the media in that country, so they could pretty much say anything that they wanted to manipulate people to like Nazis; back in the day, kids loved the Nazis and thought Hitler as some sort of god or a king.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2005, 12:58 pm

aspiegirl2 wrote:
kids loved the Nazis and thought Hitler as some sort of god or a king.

Except the disabled kids.

I wonder if any of Hans's patients were Jewish? That could've caused trouble.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2005, 5:43 pm

Yes, even my German professor who grew up in Koeln cannot seem to even bear to hear his name. It is my understanding that Hitler is a painful blight in the memories of most Germans. Even Nazi/WWII memoribilia is outlawed. It isn't outlawed here in the US though. There are often such things in antique military shops. I know 'cause in 8th grade I had a project to do on WWII and a presentation and so I went and bought a couple items to show the class. One of them was a Nazi army pin.

As for Hans, I haven't heard if any of his patients were Jewish. Given that he started studying these kids right before WWII and with tensions rising, if he did have any, they would have likely been very few.

In addition I have heard that most of Hans' early patients which prompted him to suggest a new and distinct disorder would have been diagnosed HFA instead since most had significant speech delay.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/