I need gluten and caseine free lunch ideas please!

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 10:57 am

I don't follow the whole gluten/casein thing, but because I have low blood sugar issues a lot of my diet is the same. We mostly stick with a meat, rice, and veggies for our meals. Something like a fish fillet, brown and wild rice, and steamed broccoli may not be a kids idea of a good meal but it does fill you up and it's very healthy. Stir-frys are also great, because you can just toss meat and veggies in a pan, add some sauce, and serve over steamed rice, and it's all so easy to make. To be honest I wouldn't even need bread in the house if it wasn't for my husband and his sandwiches.

The oatmeal is a great thing too, my son eats oatmeal every day.

I guess the really difficult part about lunch though, is it would have to be served cold or something, right? The kids don't have access to a microwave at school? How about heating up some soup and keeping it in a thermos until lunch time? A lot of soups are really good for you, especially the bean ones, and they make some good ones in the organic section at my local grocery store. I'm not sure how something like fried rice might hold up til lunch, but I suppose you could try it if you wanted.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 2:59 am

http://lifestyle.msn.com/foodandenterta ... id=6369775

Geez, I'm good! Look what I found just for you....10 gluten-free tasty recipes! Click on above link.

Good Lab Pet.
Good Lab Pet.
Good Lab Pet.

These actually look quite good too, for any meal. Hope this helps :idea: I suppose these meals (left-overs) could be packaged via tupperware for a nice individual lunch too.

10 Gluten-Free Recipes: (from website link above)

Chicken Caesar Salad
Portuguese Mixed Grill
Lentil, Kielbasa, and Garlic Stew
Skillet Chicken with Green Chile Sauce
Turkey Breast with Mushroom Filling
Wisconsin Cauliflower-Cheddar Soup
Garlic Roast Pork with Root Vegetables
Mediterranean Grilled Sea Bass
Scallops and Leeks in Parchment
Coq au Vin

Bon Apetit. Personally, I love Coq au Vin - it's so easy (& tasty)! Let us know which is your favorite. Each of these seemed quite easy to prepare.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 1:11 pm

Please note: If a recipe calls for red wine (one on the website I gave does) you may use cranberry or grape juice instead. Personally, I do not drink alcohol (never have - just don't like it). I do occassionally cook with wine though and the alcohol oxidizes - ok for anyone/children. But, if you cannot, for whatever reason (ie: religious restriction) the juice substitute works just fine! Um...I do not usually post on the parent's forum (I'm not a parent), but I responded since this was on the home page, plus I like Domestic Advocate!

DomesticAdvocate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Mar 2008, 9:54 pm

It's so encouraging to know that there are other families that are overcoming similar challenges.

Thank you!

Everyone in this thread is making life a lot easier for me.

Thank you for taking the time to share these ideas with us!