ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 3:26 am

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 9:43 am

School principals are far more worried about obedience than they are about trying to actually educate people. They will interrupt a person's education, in fact flush as much of a person's life down the toilet as they can, when they don't like what they see.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 3:13 pm

Remnant wrote:
School principals are far more worried about obedience than they are about trying to actually educate people. They will interrupt a person's education, in fact flush as much of a person's life down the toilet as they can, when they don't like what they see.

Not just school principles...

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 3:33 pm

They may have genuine legal liability concerns over something like this. If the school is liable for all of the kids that could possibly get sick from badly handled food I don't find it unreasonable that they would be against this sort of thing.

Now whether or not they were too harsh is a different matter entirely. I'll personally withhold judgment until I know more about the details.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 2:13 am

"Genuine concerns" seem to be a handy excuse to practice sadism.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 4:01 am

Well, if the school cafeteria served better sandwiches, then maybe this wouldn't have happened. People in a modern society deserve quality food. Feel free to boycott fast-food chains until they improve their standards. Of course if you're a vegan with anti-consumerist values like myself, you'd avoid such places like the plague anyway. With the smaller local and organic markets and cafes, you'll get healthier and tastier deals for your money. Usually.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 3:40 pm

While it's convenient and legal to cite health concerns, campus alternatives aren't usually held under fire unless a competing eatery complains it's losing business. This has happened back in my hometown, involving hot dog carts situated just off campus and complaining campus cafeterias.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 3:43 pm

omg, I read campus and assumed it was a college campus. A high schooler made gourmet sandwiches? They should start an ROP program! One high school I attended had a full service restaurant staffed by students learning the trade.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 10:30 pm

There could have been other factors. The school may have had a contract with it's food service provider for school lunches and had he let it continue, this could have been seen as a breach of contract.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 11:39 pm

This kid got suspended for selling sandwiches? Boy times have really changed since I was in school. Not a day went by without running into someone selling Snicker's bars, M&Ms, Avon, weed ....or whatnot when I was in high school.

Heck, we were poor. The teachers were just glad we were trying to make some honest money rather than robbing and stealing from someone. Maybe if these schools focused on teaching the kids entrepreneurship instead of this No Child Left Behind bull shite, they would be better prepared to be self-sufficient.

Of course, we all know NCLB was started by businessmen from corporations. And ready-made entrepreneurs out of high school don't make a good (slave)workforce.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 9:37 am

Remnant wrote:
"Genuine concerns" seem to be a handy excuse to practice sadism.

:lol: It's funny to try and work that phrase into random sentences. I.e., "I have genuine concerns that my potato salad will not live up to my expectations today."

Okay then, here we go: the thread

Syd wrote:
Well, if the school cafeteria served better sandwiches, then maybe this wouldn't have happened. People in a modern society deserve quality food.

Their sandwiches are bad for one reason: no competition. The student introduced (or was at least well on his way to introducing) competition, and the few students who got their orders in before his efforts were quashed from above really enjoyed his product.

(I like the word "quashed.")

In fact, I think colleges should have two cafeterias which compete against each other in a free market system. But instead of them both being school-run, with all the money still going to the school regardless of which one does better, one or both could be run by seperate, outside firms, or students at the college. Genuine competition would improve the quality of the food, and thus the students' health and lives.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 10:08 am

At my high school, they were real sticklers regarding gum.

They were more concerned about gum being underneath desktops, than about catfights in the cafeteria, with one of the participants being pregnant (that actually happened).

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 10:16 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

They were more concerned about gum being underneath desktops, than about catfights in the cafeteria, with one of the participants being pregnant (that actually happened).

To me, school is the most uninspiring and depressing place to be, what with the place often being run by beaurocratic idiots whose incompetence is exceeded only by their power. :roll: Those people were always jokes that I had to take seriously. :lol:

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 9:44 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

Thats really pathetic. I had a teacher who made people caught chewing pay up to a dollar, and he claimed it was going to charity. Yeah right!