Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

DukeGallison
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Mar 2008, 5:48 pm

There's a general consensus that autism is genetic, although I'm somewhat skeptical since I'm the only one in my family who's been diagnosed with it...I more believe that biological factors could have something to do with it. For instance, in the area I was born (Kansas), the water quality was fairly poor, and I think that bad water could have had something to do with it...not sure about vaccines, though...

Grey_Kameleon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Mar 2008, 5:53 pm

I doubt the scientific community fairly frequently, so I'm sympathetic to you. I personally think there may be multiple causes of it, as with a lot of other things being touted as 'genetic'.

Then again, I'm not the one who has devoted my life to studying autism. Only this last month.

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 6:06 pm

It's possible to have sub-clinical features in parents of autistics that combine to produce clinical autism in their kids. Cambridge University did a study sometime ago on this subject.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 6:08 pm

Many people think that ASD is a neurobiological difference in the brain, mainly a neurodevelopmental thing and most argue that this change has already been defined before birth. That doesn't mean there is a single genetic pointer necessarily, there could be many combinations or other reasons why.

I tend to think in terms of catalysts. There could be genetic terms and propensity that will serve as a catalyst. Genetics is a lot more complicated than just simply passing it down the line every time. Clearly there is instances of inheritance. However there may be people with the genetic propensity for ASD without having it.

Also I think it is entirely reasonable to hypothesize that the structure and chemistry ASD brain could occur for reasons other than genetics.

Thought poor water quality in itself can't offer much explanation because it doesn't tell us why we aren't finding ASD hotshots in areas with poor water quality.

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 6:17 pm

In addition to what others have said, I'd point out dominant and recessive genes probably play a role in autism, making it possible for an NT parent to pass on autism genes to their kids. Is there anyone in your extended family who shows ASD traits, even if they're not diagnosed? I'm the only one in my family who has a diagnosis, but I have an uncle who probably would have met the AS criteria as a kid. Even if others in your family are only a bit odd or quirky, it's still possible they passed ASD genes on in a more pronounced form.

Last edited by srriv345 on 01 Mar 2008, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 7:16 pm

Grey_Kameleon wrote:
I doubt the scientific community fairly frequently, so I'm sympathetic to you. I personally think there may be multiple causes of it, as with a lot of other things being touted as 'genetic'.

Then again, I'm not the one who has devoted my life to studying autism. Only this last month.

this is my feeling.
as far as i'm concerned, most neurological and psychiatric issues are still a mystery. things we've been clumping together might actually have a variety of causes that require different treatments (or none at all). this is why i think meds work for some people and not at all for others. if they all theoretically do the same thing, then why do some folks improve while others don't?

in my case, it's genetic. my sister's dx led to mine, and there is a creepy old man in the middle of nowhere in GA who contributed half our dna. he's probably on the spectrum himself.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 7:25 pm

I really don't know if it's genetic but I have 2 ppl in my family who have it. My cousin has mild autism and my uncle has been diagnosed with apsbergers although you don't really notice it.

AngelUndercover
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Mar 2008, 7:30 pm

I don't know about in general, but in my case it's almost certainly genetic.