Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SpaceStace
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Mar 2008, 12:13 am

Any fans out there?

I have a suspicion that one of the contestants this season - David Cook - could be a bit of an Aspie and wondered if anyone else thought so. It's the way he doesn't smile when all the other contestants know the places you're "supposed" to smile (like when watching the competition sing and when Ryan is telling America the number to vote for him). And the way he tried to get the crowd on his side last week but it came off totally wrong as back-talking Simon. And he's a self-professed "word nerd." And there were other things I can't think of right now.

I don't know. I could be projecting 'cause I really really like him. As in, I like his voice's tone & inflection and his unique phrasing (hmm, different word cadence...) and the way he can make any song just plain rock. I also like him as in, he's not the most handsome guy on the show, but I find him oddly and irresistibly sexy. :sunny:

smheath
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Mar 2008, 9:34 pm

I agree, and I also think Amanda Overmyer could be an Aspie.

nory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2008, 8:30 pm

Amanda is very talented and unique, and she wouldn't smile on cue as well, true. But I'm not sure if that means anything.

Jason Castro also had that media bit where he talked about his difficulty speaking, and they had to bleep every second word because of swearing, which seemed out of place given his nice attitute - a bit tourettes like. But then again, they're all young and I think everyone has some social problems... especially considering how many millions of people they're preforming for. Its actually kind of bizarre when there are no problems, considering the vastness of the audience.

I think every time you have extreme talent your going to have some eccentricity or some aspects sacrificed to make room for the big talent as well.

I would vote for Ramiele Malubay because she's a great singer who I think Simon is under-rating and being a bit of a snit about.

Canadian Idol is good too! Our last winner, Eva Avila was fantastic and now there's posters of her all over the place here.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 8:31 pm

I like the auditioning phase best.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 10:05 pm

Don't Watch because I find it completely silly to watch.

nory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Mar 2008, 12:45 am

For some reason I'm really into American Idol this year. I think its a good group. I like the top 12 better than auditions because everyone's already made it - they're all lucky to be there - in auditions if they lose or are criticized it leads nowhere, so it can be painful. I still haven't decided what I think of Simon.

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Mar 2008, 5:29 am

I paid some attention since someone in my family watches it, so I listen in the background while I work...

The one that stood out to me this go round at least was Kady Malloy. Hers was the only one that caused me to look up from my computer during the auditions - she certainly has a very good voice. But then she chose several very crummy songs and proceeded to not sing them properly or even in key. Unfortunate that she got sent home since the talent is definitely there.

I also remember one of the other girls that got sent home talking about how she can never let the food on her plate touch. Of course it doesn't really mean anything in itself, but that's a very stereotypical aspie-ish thing.

I like Simon. He can be very cruel (excessively so) but on the other hand he's usually right. He has very high standards and for good reason - very few people ever even get to the point of being signed on a major label, and even fewer sell enough albums to be signed again.

Obviously people value his opinion very much, because when he does praise someone - look how they react, and how the audience responds.

As to who I like who's left, I think Brooke White stands an excellent shot of going all the way. She has relatively good vocals and is very original.

Whivit
Raven
Raven

08 Mar 2008, 6:21 am

nory wrote:
Jason Castro also had that media bit where he talked about his difficulty speaking, and they had to bleep every second word because of swearing, which seemed out of place given his nice attitute - a bit tourettes like. But then again, they're all young and I think everyone has some social problems... especially considering how many millions of people they're preforming for. Its actually kind of bizarre when there are no problems, considering the vastness of the audience.

They weren't bleeping because of swearing, they were cutting to another take because he wasn't doing anything productive/interesting (he didn't know what to say).

Either way, I don't really care who has AS or who doesn't, and I don't see the big interest. Doesn't change who they are or who they appear to be, and since you obviously can't know for sure, no use in wondering. Just a waste of time.

I do like David Cook, though. He's cool.

nory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Mar 2008, 11:34 am

I was so sure I was right I went to prove you wrong....
But whoops.
You were right.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=_tNE8jNR2OU :x

Whivit
Raven
Raven

08 Mar 2008, 11:46 am

I'm always right. :D Yasrsly.

laplantain
Toucan
Toucan

10 Mar 2008, 3:04 am

The only person I thought was aspie was Josiah, the guy who lived out of his car. He is American but sings with a British accent. He couldn't work with the band, they said they had asked him several times to just sing the song through but it was like he wasn't hearing a thing they said, and vocal coach even talked to him afterward and he wasn't hearing her either. He did a couple of other things I can't remember.

nory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2008, 1:14 pm

I thought he was brilliant and was truly suprised when he did not get through. His vocals were above and beyond, Simon agreed but did not come through for him.

nory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Apr 2008, 1:10 am

Any predictions?? I would say David wins, Brook comes second.

I probably have to duck after saying this but honestly, Dolly Parton!! SO much better than Beatles week...

My favorite from Dolly :) night:

Brook White's Jolene and David's Smokey Mountain Memories, the coat of many colors by was great too actually.

In case you missed tonight:

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=2HNagnTfgRM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=TPJV1BIpuYM[/youtube]

Cameo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2008, 1:09 am

Aha... I was hoping someone would bring up Idol so I didn't have to :lol:

I never watched it before, but somehow I got hooked this season. And I'll admit it, right out loud: I love love love love love love love love love David Cook.

Why? I dunno! I hated him during the auditions and the first couple performances. Then I heard him do the "Billie Jean" cover... then I read some back story/biography stuff... then I noticed he's weirdly adorable... and I was lost. He comes off a little conceited sometimes maybe... but if I was David Cook, I'd be conceited too!

I think he's gonna win. His fans are pretty fanatical, you know? But he'll get a record deal either way, no question.

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 3:05 am

I'm hoping it comes down to young David & the Irish (forget her name) woman. It would be nice if young David wins. I think when it comes down to the final 12 everyone already has a future.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

12 Apr 2008, 3:10 am

I think the show is boring. I've never been a fan of American Idol, New Zealand Idol, Australian Idol or any other related shows.