Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

willnormanuk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Mar 2008, 9:52 am

if you have i found a good website for buying the major components, motherboard, ddr ram and graphics card and the stuff is pretty cheap too. www.arbico.co.uk. i want to buy the motherboard and graphics card from there but does anyone else know of any good websites that sell the rest of the stuff????????????????????????????/

"Yes, we have to divide up our time like that, between our politics and our equations. But to me our equations are far more important, for politics are only a matter of present concern. A mathematical equation stands forever." Albert Einstein

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 10:19 am

I have built loads.
I buy components from all and sundry but one I use most is: http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/

willnormanuk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Mar 2008, 10:28 am

hey, ty for that link but i was looking for something more specific;
fans, drives, plug slots and bodies (maybe a bit cheaper)
no offense
but i need to see more websites like that so that i can 'shop around', i have a budget of around £45k so maybe if there is somewhere that sells 'super computers' i might buy one of them.
please post some more links.

"Yes, we have to divide up our time like that, between our politics and our equations. But to me our equations are far more important, for politics are only a matter of present concern. A mathematical equation stands forever." Albert Einstein

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 4:08 pm

err.. a lot of us here do

I get parts from Maplin Electronics usually, and just add to it as and when

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 6:22 pm

I just built myself a new PC today. Dabs.com and komplett.co.uk are very good sites.

sparkman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Mar 2008, 1:07 pm

i get my stuff from www.scan.co.uk and www.overclockers.co.uk

Betzalel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2008, 1:11 pm

I have built my own PC. mainly from dumpster parts I built a 386DX/33 with a 387 math co-processor chip 8MB of ram and a 300MB hard drive for installing FreeBSD on.(this was around 1996 or so) since then I have generally baught pre-built systems, or just added components to pre-built systems. I have enough spare parts to build several computers in addition to the 15 or so that I have around.

Nothign special about it really, just find a motherboard, CPU, power supply, case, hard drive etc until you have a full system. plug it all togeather and make sure all the jumper settings are correct etc. and you are good to go.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 4:02 pm

2 words of advice if you havent done it before;

1. get someone in the know to approve or suggest your Ram/mobo+processor configuration before you order - just to make sure you have a combination that will run efficiently and without problems.

2. Use a mobo company that has user friendly manuals - clearly stating exactly what/where everything is etc. This can make the build process much smoother and more enjoyable.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Mar 2008, 7:31 pm

My last PC build was in the late 1990s.... An AMD486DX4 120 mhz with 32 meg of memory.
Ran DOS 6.2/Windows 3.1 on one 250meg hard-drive and Windows NT4.0 Workstation on another.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 12:42 am

I just go to the local PC parts place. I actually peruse the available equipment, and make the cheapest box I can afford. Nowadays, you'll need a CD full of drivers for everything that's packed on the mobo...;)

You can always come back to a local place if the stuff doesn't work.