Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

nospam7676
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Mar 2008, 7:49 am

help im lost i have alot of files on my computer and trying to make them all wmv or (tm) files, i managed to conver the avi,mpeg and the mov files but im stuck with ram or RealPlayer Presentation files i think there know as , i tried 3-4 different converters most ruin it with watermarks or only 20 sec of the clip, and one totally runined it all to gether any advice?

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 4:26 pm

I've tried a lot of converters too. I don't think that there's anything that really works well for RealPlayer.

One other question... why WMV - It's a terribly proprietary format and I don't think it would work on Linux or Mac when you switch over.

nospam7676
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Mar 2008, 5:27 pm

well i have a pc and have win xp once i have made all the files change to avi status i put them through the programme called windows movie maker where on after that the programme makes the file alot smaller but not loosing any quality and after i can burn onto a dvd

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 9:40 pm

ok, that makes sense, since DVD is a compatible format.

You might want to look into programs that convert directly to MP2 or VOB. You'd get better quality then.

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Mar 2008, 9:47 pm

I'd try to find a version of ffmpeg for windows. It can convert almost anything though sometimes it takes some skill to use

If you absolutely have to reencode twice, try to have a high quality or bitrate in the intermediate format (here wmv) otherwise you lose a lot of quality just by reencoding.

nospam7676
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Mar 2008, 1:25 am

i tried to find that ffmpeg download all i got was pages and pages of information but no simple plase click here to download the converter you need to conver your files, sort of thing im not that computer savy but know more then mst of my friends, but please is there any sort of direct link anywhere to just get to downlad the converter

SqrachMasda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2008, 7:00 pm

the greatest fastest video converter i know of is free
it's so minimal which i think allows it to run so smooth

it's on CNET and it's called internet video converter
http://www.download.com/Internet-Video- ... ?tag=lst-1
they even improved the only tiny annoy thing it had
i get the best results from it, it's awesome. i've tried a lot of em

the only format it doesn't do is rm
but there is another free one that does it
http://www.download.com/Any-Video-Conve ... ?tag=lst-6
it works good for changing rm but otherwise it's a lil more effort and the results varied
so i would only use this for converting rm, though i imagine there is better alternatives

get firebug for firefox
you can take youtube videos, you just have to rename the "getvideo" name and add .flv
i mean you can keep get video, you just have to add on the flv
youtube is flv but they made it so you download that getvideo file with no extension
other sites you'll probably just get it in flv or some other format
like stage6, you get as divx, niccce
then you can convert with the first one
it'll convert to ipod format too, i've done entire movies very fast

i know nothing about video specs but i know how to convert them to anything, haha

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2008, 11:16 pm

Wow,

Thanks for the link to Video Converter Standard, it made my day.

I've used it and it didn't make a coaster. :D

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 10:54 am

Why not convert to an open format like OGM instead?

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 3:45 pm

I don't think OGM is an accepted standard...

Wikipedia on OGM wrote:
Fundamentally, the format is a hack of the Ogg container format, which had only been designed to support encoders endorsed by Xiph.org (website), the creators of Ogg. It is most likely going to be viewed as a temporary solution, to be phased out when other media container formats (for example, Matroska) mature and come to support the same services.

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 1:46 am

This works well for .flv to .avi, and you don't have to download it, but you can:
http://vixy.net/
It's free and fast. If it fails, it's usually the server being overloaded; just wait a bit and try again. I use it with VLC Media Player.