Do you like the fact that most people cant read you?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 10:18 pm

The fact that most people can't read me properly implies that I am relatively safe from being tricked or manipulated by unscrupulous individuals. It's also good that they don't understand what ticks me, because if they did they could potentially use that knowledge to my detriment and disadvantage. I also enjoy when I'm talking to a presumptuous individual and throughout the conversation she makes false assumptions or accusations about me. Such misreadings also anger me, of course, but being reminded that I know better than the other person is an ego boost (albeit a somewhat bittersweat ego boost).

Last edited by Mw99 on 06 Mar 2008, 10:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 10:21 pm

People may find it difficult to 'read' me, but I am anything but immune to being tricked or manipulated. If anything, it is much easier to trick or manipulate me than it is to do such to an 'average' person.

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 10:27 pm

scumsuckingdouchebag wrote:
People may find it difficult to 'read' me, but I am anything but immune to being tricked or manipulated. If anything, it is much easier to trick or manipulate me than it is to do such to an 'average' person.

It helps being paranoid :)

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 10:34 pm

it's taught me not to play poker...;)

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 10:48 pm

Most people's inability to read me has led to a strange phenomenon where I feel naked when people can read me. I'm just not used to it, I'm used to being read wrong all the time, which can be its own kind of obnoxious, but not to being read right.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 11:00 pm

(Not) Reading into things topic

This is true--they cannot read me, accurately, and suspect me of subterfuge.

I have no hidden agenda, which is what they assume if they cannot figure me out.

But as scumsuckingdouchebag wrote, this does not stop them from manipulating deception. And because I cannot read them as well, this can and does happen.

It helps to be aware of how you can be abused. Maybe even a little paranoid.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 11:07 pm

I don't like it because it means that inevitably people assume I am tired or upset or something that I am not.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 11:08 pm

Yes in some situations, and no in others. It's annoying that people perceive me as sad, angry, haughty, etc. when I'm essentially the opposite.

But I do enjoy being immune to the kind of manipulation that relies on "reading people". It's also convenient that my "sad" appearance makes me seem like any easy target, so I get to find out who has manipulative tendencies.

Musicdragon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2008, 11:16 pm

I envy Scumsuckingdouchebag! I'm easier, in some ways, to be taken advantage of, tricked, etc.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2008, 11:21 pm

People can easily read me--my face is an open book.
Many people think I'm an idiot and usually ignore me. Which is fine, I don't need the attention of such people.

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

07 Mar 2008, 12:01 am

I think that it can be both a blessing and a curse.

If you don't want people to be able to read you, to be able to dissect you by tossing things at you to see what makes you smile or wince, then it is an attribute to show no outward sign of a very real internal reaction.

If people expect/need to see a reaction because it "normal", grief over some tragedy, amusement over a funny joke, than the lack of any readable response is certainly a deficit that can cause problems. Sometimes I want to manifest a reaction, but can't, because the manifestation mechanism is broken. This can also give sign of being stupid, if you manifest no particular response of "understanding" something. (<- This is actually particularly annoying; to compensate, I've developed a questionable mannerism of interjecting, "Yes, yes, I understand that." quite often when talking with people; this behavior comes with it's own set of headaches, but I'd rather be mistaken for pretentious than stupid.)

Overall, my answer to the OP's question is, "Yes". Blessings and curses aside, I'm quite happy to have one hell of a poker face. :wink:

Good fortune,

- Icarus has a blank look when he's bluffing; and a blank look when he's not...

Anniemaniac
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2008, 12:36 am

I hate the fact that people can't read me as this leads to assumptions, and of course, people never bother to ASK me about things, they just take their assumptions as fact and then dislike me based on lies they've fed themselves :roll:.

It baffles me how people never bother to question me. If something I do confuses you, just ask me about it! Why do people think that I'll be offended if they ask about something, but go ahead and offend me anyway by assuming things and then disliking me based on false conclusions?!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 12:44 am

Sometimes I wish that people would be able to read me. They'd realize what a brilliant mind, I really have.

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 1:32 am

Quote:
It helps being paranoid

Thanks for the advice. If I were more paranoid, I probably wouldn't be tricked or manipulaed as often. The only problem is, my former friend hated me when I would be paranoid(even when I had reason to be), and being in such a state and acting on it tends to make other people not like me. :?

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 6:12 am

scumsuckingdouchebag wrote:
Quote:
It helps being paranoid

Thanks for the advice. If I were more paranoid, I probably wouldn't be tricked or manipulaed as often. The only problem is, my former friend hated me when I would be paranoid(even when I had reason to be), and being in such a state and acting on it tends to make other people not like me. :?

Yah...don't be so sure of that. I'm extremely paranoid..but as I'm atrocious at reading other people and social "cues", I'm also ultra gullible. If there's one motto by one of the evilest dictators in history- Joseph Stalin- that I try to live by, it's "trust no one".

Unfortunately...again...due to my inability to read social cues, I many times wind up believing the worst people around.

Paranoia mixed with Asperger's gives you almost the inability to discriminate between when people care about you, and are actually trying to help you- & when they're just manipulating you cause they can.

Seriously- I guarantee you Ayatollah Khamenei would welcome me with open arms- before I shot him in the head. Fidel Castro would ALSO welcome me with open arms- before I, again, shot him in the head.

Aridarr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 6:25 am

They're taking the hobbits to Isenguard!