Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

merrymadscientist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 4:18 pm

This is apparently supposed to be really rare, but I have lucid dreams quite often - at least once a month I would guess (where I am aware that Im in a dream). Usually I will try to fly (had a very distinct one a few nights ago where I was marvelling at how real everything looked, in colour etc. and wondered what I would do to make best use of my dream, so I decided to fly along the corridor -noone was that surprised though!). Sometimes I will take the opportunity to say something to someone that I wouldnt normally dare to say. I dont always get replies I would expect though - I know its a dream but I still cant influence what other people do.

Any other lucid dreamers on here? Anyone know why it is supposed to be rare, because as far as I can remember I have had such dreams, yet some people go to extremes trying to have them and dont succeed.

j2xj2x
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Mar 2008, 5:57 pm

interesting topic. It is cool to have more freedom in your dreams, and.. while I suspect that most of my dreams might be lucid I usually don't have a lot of control over them. Sometimes I am in the dream and I can't move my head to look behind me because I know it will wake me up.

I have only ever had two lucid dreams where I have had full control, whereas in others I have been taken on a wierd, random journey and... they almost remind me of on the rails arcade games :D

Lucid dreams are so great and I love having them. In fact, there have been so many occassions of late where I have been in a dream and I have been thinking, "Oh no! This must be a dream this is horrible" and I force myself to wake up.

lol

Dreams are very significant and I don't like it when people dismiss them as meaningless junk; seriously, sometimes they can help you in life, so that you can make sense of things that are going on, better. Usually when someone rejects me, they love me in my dream, and I usually find that dreams work by giving you opposite experiences to what's going on in real life.

Dreams are hard to make sense of so I suppose you have to be careful. I suppose there are professional dream readers out there. Another thing I am concerned about is whether or not the media is manipulating us to dream about things. Wouldn't it be awful if somehow they could tap into our dreams and advertise things? (I think I saw that on futurama) lol but it could be true.

A newish bit of technology has been developed (actually I think it's maybe 5 years old), and it reads your brainwaves or something (I'm not sure) but I just think it could potentially be used to control people. I'm actually scared. ahhhhh :D

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

08 Mar 2008, 4:52 am

I've had a few lucid dreams before...I have to admit, they were rather fun! :D

I jumped off a cliff and survivied....so odd lol.

mirandao
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Mar 2008, 6:04 am

I've tried to have lucid dreams, at least I've worked on techniques to make them more common. Largely it begins with good dream recall; every time you wake up, trying to remember as much as you can.

I have really odd dreams often of the disturbing and intimidating type. I've been looking for ways to take control and maybe defuse the terror I feel in them. Basically, I'm always stuck in some kind of monolithic structure in these dreams...think gigantic city with flying cars, and all kinds of sensory overload type situations. Usually, also with elements of being an "alien" who doesn't belong, just waiting to be unmasked. It's such an obvious representation of what it feels like to be out of control and intimidated in waking life.

BTW, I've managed to control my dreams with some lucid techniques, but it's been slow.

this site (below) is what I used to learn a bit about it, maybe it will help other posters too.

http://www.dreamviews.com/

QuantumCowboy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 10:49 am

It wasn't until I was twenty or so, that I realized that everyone didn't have lucid dreams. I have always had lucid dreams as far back as I can remember. Part of the result is no nightmares. Even as a child when confronted with the classic nightmares such as being chased by a large dog, I would conciously decide to turn around grab a large stick, and teach that dog some manners.

Most of the time, I do not take concious control of my dreams, even though I am aware of my ability to do so. Instead, I simply let the dreamscape wash on by. It is amusing to see the bizarre creations of my subconcious. If I don't like the direction of the dream (rare case these days), I simply exert the effort to change it. If I wish to dream on a particular subject, I may also do so.

In short, I cannot imagine not always having lucid dreams.

missboots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Mar 2008, 12:01 pm

I didn't know this was rare. I'm almost always aware I'm dreaming.

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Mar 2008, 2:56 pm

I love lucid dreaming and whats his name Stephen LaBerge I think has a new book (shorter than most of them) with a CD to help people who are having trouble attaining lucidity. (like $13.00 at Costco, you can proably find it online through.) I started when I was 14 and have kept at it. I have a great time.

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."