Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

kid020
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Mar 2008, 4:56 pm

I am just curious if anyone here has heard of the Grove School? I know someone who went there and they said it was a terrible experience. I went on the school's website and it said they have kids with emotional issues including Asperger's Syndrome. What is ervyone's impression of The Grove School.

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 6:02 pm

kid020 wrote:
I am just curious if anyone here has heard of the Grove School? I know someone who went there and they said it was a terrible experience. I went on the school's website and it said they have kids with emotional issues including Asperger's Syndrome. What is ervyone's impression of The Grove School.

This school?:
http://www.groveschool.org/

PS: is the school another Judge Rotenburg Center, or something like that?

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 5:15 pm

I went there for six months years ago.
It was recommended by my shrink but ultimately the school district wouldn't pay for it and moved me to a different school.

Grove wasn't too bad at all, as far as boarding schools go. The second one I went to set me back years in terms of trust and issues with being touched (long story, involving AS issues and no AS diagnosis).

Most of the teachers are different now, but I do recall that by six months, I did start responding positively to the structure. I hated it at the time but hindsight is 20/20.
You'll hate any school you go to, I think. It's just a matter of degrees. If they're going the boarding route, go for Grove. Unless they've put them in since, there aren't 'quiet rooms' there and that's good enough for me (latter school dragged me by arms to quiet room and locked me in with some cookie crumbs and the ants feasting on them).