I can't stand e-books. 67%  67%  [ 14 ]
no problem with e-books, I read them all the time. 29%  29%  [ 6 ]
Reading? What in the heavens is that? 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 21

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2008, 1:35 pm

Do you prefer to read e-books or real books? Why?

I prefer the real material book, and can't stand e-books. I don't know, it's something about feeling the pages and turning them that i find more appealing. Reading to much electronic text always gives me a headache, if I persist at it for too long. Strange thing, though, since I spend a lot of time reading posts on WP.

How about you?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2008, 1:43 pm

For textbooks and novels I prefer paper books, but since I do have electronic books on my computer and read them occasionally I voted the second option.

Environmentally, paper is better though. Sure use have a one time cost of killing a tree, but with e-books you're using electricity for the whole time you read and via the method of energy transfer from fuel to electricity you cause more pollution over time. This could be said of any appliance however and I'm not giving up my computer, but in an absolute sense this is still true.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2008, 2:07 pm

I don't have problem with e-books, I read them, but sometime I prefer normal books.

Whivit
Raven
Raven

08 Mar 2008, 2:33 pm

I'll read an e-book if I can find one of the book I'm looking for, which isn't often. I usually read real books though, from the library.

Spiral153
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Mar 2008, 3:44 pm

I own a lot more e-books than paper books...
I don't have a preference though. Either kind (e-book or paper book) is fine with me. I'm not too keen on reading anyway.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2008, 5:27 pm

I like the real books because I can sit anywhere and turn each feather lite page. I also love the smell and look of a book.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2008, 5:36 pm

I prefer e-books because I do not like the feeling of paper between my fingers when I turn the pages :oops:

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2008, 6:03 pm

LostInEmulation wrote:
I prefer e-books because I do not like the feeling of paper between my fingers when I turn the pages :oops:

I'm the exact opposite! :lol: I love the feeling of paper.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2008, 6:18 pm

I've never read a e-book so I can't say anything about them one way or the other, but there is something about that new book smell.

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2008, 7:09 pm

darkstone100 wrote:
I've never read a e-book so I can't say anything about them one way or the other, but there is something about that new book smell.

Agreed - that, and it's hard to curl up next to the fire with a desktop computer. I suppose you could read it off of a Palm Pilot, but it's just not the same. After a while the light would wear out my eyes.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2008, 7:34 pm

I've never actually even seen an e-book...;) I love books, they're my friends (all right, now we know he's crazy...;) You can go into the used book store, and with $20, buy hours and hours of entertainment and enlightenment. You can read them when the power's off (in the daytime, anyways..;), and you can read them again later. Unless you place catches fire, or you have termites or water damage, they'll be around for decades (how many people still have 5.25" floppies nowadays?...only 20 years ago...;)

a good chair, a good light, and a good book, is a good time to me...;)

viska
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2008, 7:38 pm

I prefer books. I used to hate e-books, but reading them on a tablet PC can be quite nice.

Pic of Tablet PC