Mercury amalgam fillings and austism/AS?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Do you have mercury amalgam fillings in your teeth?
Yes 44%  44%  [ 16 ]
No 56%  56%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 36

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 1:20 pm

pandabear wrote:
Since there has been so much speculation on mercury in vaccines causing autism, I was wondering whether there had been any similar speculation/research on the mercury in silver/ mercury almagam fillings being a culprit?

Yes. One scientific research study looked at amalgams and other sources of mercury to see whether they may cause or contribute to autism.

Study findings
Mothers of ASD children had 10 amalgams versus 8 in mothers of typical children
Mothers of 58% of ASD children consumed more than 2 servings of seafood per month, vs. only 33% of mothers of typical children

http://www.autism.com/medical/research/adams2.htm

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 5:22 pm

Ana54 wrote:
I have a white filling in one of my teeth that I've had since I was 12, and no other fillings. I sort of doubt the white filling has mercury in it.

You are LUCKY! MOST insurance doesn't cover white fillings, ESPECIALLY if they aren't incisors. I have gotten ONLY white fillings, but when I was a kid, my mother got ONLY "silver" for me. 8-( BTW the "white" ones are generally photo set resin, and contain no metal.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 6:46 pm

Interestingly, my Dad, who is a scientist, invented a replacement material for mercury amalgam. During the FDA approval process to test it in people, he found great resistance to any suggestion that having murcury in your mouth was dangerous. If dentists admitted that they should avoid the mercury in favor of an alternative, they would have to admit they have been doing harm to people for decades. The new material is a metal powder which welds to itself without murcury, only a harmless liquid that removes the oxide layer.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 9:03 pm

My wife just had some white fillings put in to replace some old amalgam. But, the fillings have been bothering her. Apparently the teeth remain sensitive longer with the white fillings compared to the amalgam.

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 9:39 pm

Well, that let's me out. My mother never had fillings until she met my dentist, and he never used mercury amalgams, and so my fillings never had mercury in them either.

My current dentist was amazed at my forty year old fillings. He said whoever did them did the best job he'd ever seen, and the only one's he had to replace were the ones on a couple of teeth had to have root canals.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 7:06 am

I've only got one filling, and it's a white one... there's no way in hell I'd let them put an amalgam one in there. So after arguing the point with the dentist I convinced her to use the white stuff. 8)

The jury's still out over the amalgam filling causation theory, but regardless, many people are finding other serious medical conditions clear up after having their amalgam fillings removed. The point remains they're toxic and noxious and slowly leach poison into your system, so regardless of your opinions over their effect on autism, they're still pretty nasty and potentially very dangerous to your health.