Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 9:34 pm

I swear I thought from the title that this was from The Onion...;)

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

14 Mar 2008, 5:07 am

I'm picturing the following confession scene:

"Father, forgive me for I have sinned. I didn't recycle my newspapers last week"

"20 Hail Mary's my child"

Helen

Jirachi
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Mar 2008, 6:37 am

I don't get the bit where it says that genetic manipulation is a sin. If the Vatican means both human and non-human genetic manipulation is a sin (the article was unclear) then the Vatican themseleves may have already sinned as we all techinically eating genetically modified food (as selective breeding is a slower method of genetic engineering then splicing.)

MeMyselfandI
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Mar 2008, 8:58 am

This are no new sins, they are simply thing that people dont belive that are sin or simply doesent see them like that, so the Vatican have to remember them.

To them toying with the planet enviorment or human life and dignity has been always sins, because everything has concecuences in short on long terms.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 9:07 am

The problem with the Vatican making new sins is that the Bible never gives the church the authority to do that. But like so many others, those religious leaders try and highjack the Bible for their own monetary gain. :|

Last edited by Ragtime on 18 Mar 2008, 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

18 Mar 2008, 9:16 am

This sort of inconsistency is exactly why I will not go to church. First we were given the law which
Jesus confirmed in Matthew 5:17-18. Then that self important pompous ass Paul contradicted
Jesus and claimed that, Oh No! the law has been nailed to stake of death. "Gee, now how will we be saved?" "Easy, not to fear, from this time forward Thou shalt be savedth by Grace Kelly. Yay
even tho she shalt not be borneth for 1900 years, this shalleth be the ticket." Great, now we have everything worked out. No not quite, we seemed to have forgotten to mention a three headed
deity. You mean that dog cerebrus? No henceforth he shalleth be called Trinity. Do you mean Terrence Hill? No we mean the real Trinity. Well that settles it , now we are set. Well not quite,
remember those 10 Commandments? Well yes we do. Well Yahweh sorta forgot to give Moses these Seven Deadly Sins.

And all was welleth for the next 1600 years. But thats a tale for another time kiddies.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 4:05 am

Tequila wrote:
Bloody Rome makes it up as it goes along. Down with orgainsed religion I say.

You know, pretty soon World of Warcraft will be appointing its real-world clergy. Also on its way is the Star Wars Religion, the Harry Potter Faith, and the Church of LOTR. Organized Religions are like the moles in that "Whack-A-Mole" game.

:roll:

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 4:17 am

ShadesOfMe wrote:
I think it's stupid for them to make up new sins.

The Catholic Church isn't making things up as much as it is keeping itself relevant, which is good. Fighting organized religion is noble, is it? Why all the hating on religion? :roll:

Everyone on this whole board seems to hate organized religion, but no one can say why. Yet we all love Star Trek: TNG for the same damn reasons! Arrgh! :x :roll:

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 8:15 am

slowmutant wrote:
Everyone on this whole board seems to hate organized religion, but no one can say why. Yet we all love Star Trek: TNG for the same damn reasons! Arrgh! :x :roll:

I don't trust dogma. I'm sort of a deist. :)

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 8:24 am

To their credit. I can interpret making up new sins in this day and age as "speaking in a language the people understand", which Jesus did. The only problem is that it took them a good 1,000+ years to realize they should probably do that (church services and the bible were only in Latin for the longest time, which no one spoke as their native language).

And I do feel that the Catholic church has a rather unfortunate affinity for the grand and impressive. Which happens to run contrary to a lot of the actual teachings of Jesus. Reformation Churches have taken a step in the right direction, but they didn't go far enough. Not nearly far enough.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 11:28 pm

I just came here to see if my name had made the list... :twisted: