Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 7:38 pm

ewwwww, that's one meat I can't eat is rabbit. :x

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 7:46 pm

Sometimes I think vegans think that animals are grateful to them for vegans viewing animals as highly as they do. That somewhere in the congo, a lion is assertively saying, "THANK you. Some people are SUCH barbarians."

(And then he's thinking, "More for me!" :lol: )

ford_prefects_kid
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 8:06 pm

In response to the last page of posts: Look, I appreciate silliness as much as the next person, but don't try to pass it off as logic or a proper reduction of the absurd because it's annoying.

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Mar 2008, 8:12 pm

I'm not trying to do the animals any favors when I don't eat meat. It's mostly purely selfish on my part. I'm just completely grossed out when I bite into a chicken breast or something and there's the big spot of red, or all the veins and stuff. Just makes me want to hurl, I'm eating "Flesh" and I personally find it distasteful.
And this next part may sound infantile and stupid but ever since my daughter was killed I always think of the poor little veal cows Mom's pain having her babies taken away. That's the worst cruelty I think. Ive obliviously been influenced by my loss
However, I don't care who eats meat or who doesn't. The way I look at it "Each to their own, and Who am I to judge." I think its mostly a personal choice and harping about the moralities isn't going to change anyone's choices.
However, most of the people at my job no longer eat eggs cause everytime they'd offer me one I'd say "No thank you, I gave up Fetus for Lent" They've told me they all think about that now when they're going to order eggs somewhere. Now my line is when they offer me Beef, Pork or Chicken for example I say " Oh chicken, the other DEAD meat".
It's also possible for me to avoid meat because I'm not in any kind of survival situation. Cause trust me,if it came down to the wire and kallister was already dead (or maybe still alive :evil: :oops: you never know what your capable of until your put in that kind of situation.)I'd be the first one carving up kallisters thighs.
No wait, are thighs white meat or dark? :D

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 8:15 pm

reika wrote:
Cause trust me,if it came down to the wire and kallister was already dead (or maybe still alive :evil: :oops: you never know what your capable of until your put in that kind of situation.)I'd be the first one carving up kallisters thighs.
No wait, are thighs white meat or dark? :D

Depends on how many stairs Kallister climes.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 8:20 pm

I think I'm just going to try and eat more veggies for now on. I don't know what it will do with the issues of farm animals being slaughtered for waste. That documentary I saw days ago is still making me want to reconsider what I eat.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 8:21 pm

BTW, how did we get to cannibalism? 8O

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 8:51 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
BTW, how did we get to cannibalism? 8O

Because cannibalism is fun to joke about. Its taboo. :wink:

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 9:16 pm

ford_prefects_kid wrote:
In response to the last page of posts: Look, I appreciate silliness as much as the next person, but don't try to pass it off as logic or a proper reduction of the absurd because it's annoying.

No idea what your talking about. Do you mean the absurd in the same way Camus used the word? Using a phrase "reduction of the absurd" also could mean Reductio ad absurdum. Sounds like an ad hominem either way, as my points are quite valid.

Oh, and in response to the objective moral question-

I don't have one. Just playing devils advocate. There are no real objective ways to go in either direction, so I figured I'd just throw gas on the fire. Seems to have confused most people though, so it didn't have the goal I hoped - making people see absurdity in their "moral" choices.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 10:08 pm

I hate telling people that I don't eat meat because they always assume that I think it's morally wrong to eat animals, or that I'm passing judgment on their food preferences. Neither of those things are true. I just don't eat meat. I'm nearly vegan, but I'm tired of explaining why. I even try to hide this fact just so that I won't have to talk about it.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 2:18 pm

Kalister1 wrote:

I don't have one. Just playing devils advocate. There are no real objective ways to go in either direction, so I figured I'd just throw gas on the fire. Seems to have confused most people though, so it didn't have the goal I hoped - making people see absurdity in their "moral" choices.

I'm going to hold my hands up and say I got a little overheated, so I'll apologise for that.

Still, a good debate is always fun :)

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 2:20 pm

MrSinister wrote:
Kalister1 wrote:

I'm going to hold my hands up and say I got a little overheated, so I'll apologise for that.

Still, a good debate is always fun :)

I got hungry, and after every post I made, I made myself some toasted PB&J sandwiches.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 3:06 pm

I wouldn't be able to be any type of vegetarian. I have to have my meat. I know that sounds bad, but I have to have my meat.

Aridarr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 3:25 pm

I used to be a vegetarian but I got sick of it. I felt like a grotesque giant stomping about the world, crushing billions of delicate, beautiful and exotic creatures, all the while holding in my hands a tiny dead butterfly and saying "Look at me! I'm such a good person for not eating this thing!" Humans cause so much damage simply by existing that attempting to live through one's life without harming another living creature is a futile battle; there is not much a person can do, short of going to live in the wilderness in a yurt and sustaining yourself on berries.

On another note, my mother's friend is a vegan. She is the most evil witch of a woman I have ever had the displeasure of knowing.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 3:57 pm

Aridarr wrote:
I used to be a vegetarian but I got sick of it. I felt like a grotesque giant stomping about the world, crushing billions of delicate, beautiful and exotic creatures, all the while holding in my hands a tiny dead butterfly and saying "Look at me! I'm such a good person for not eating this thing!" Humans cause so much damage simply by existing that attempting to live through one's life without harming another living creature is a futile battle; there is not much a person can do, short of going to live in the wilderness in a yurt and sustaining yourself on berries.

Well, there's always suicide. :P

(Just making fun of the humans-have-less-rights-than-animals-to-exist group.)

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 4:06 pm

Aridarr wrote:

On another note, my mother's friend is a vegan. She is the most evil witch of a woman I have ever had the displeasure of knowing.

Living in the wilderness in a Yurt and sustaining myself on berries sounds like heaven :D :D

But I know what you mean some of the most vegan people I know are very sour in personality- I think this comes from them spending so much energy on controlling their food that theres no energy left to be loving -which of course is the most important thing! Theres no point loving the environment or animals if you dont love your fellow man ( even with his faults) I say -let the compassion flow!!