Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2008, 6:44 pm

Do you ever invade peoples space, okay i find myself doing this alllllllll the time, okay so im having another bad autie moment now, not very verbal, just one worders, we went to pick up my usual surf taco chicken caeser wrap, and i grabbed the girls hand behind the register to see her ring, and just said beaut beaut beaut because it was royal blue haha. The place knows im autistic though haha, the girl just smiled and said thanks. Its funny though, my bf pointed out how i invade ppls space wayyy too much, but mostly everybody knows something is wrong with me, so they just smile or think I'm cute. I was like wow. I don't even realize it though, I guess in a way ppl notice theres something off about me haha. The whole time we were waiting for our food, I was just staring at the royal blue fan they have lol, twisting my fingers, kicking my bf lol. Does anybody find themselves invading other peoples space?

roboticalien
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Mar 2008, 6:52 pm

Yes, I do this in lecture hall. It's not a physical invasion of space though. I move my body around in ways that make people lean away from me or start tapping their foot really fast.

emmaC

11 Mar 2008, 11:29 am

Age1600 wrote:
Do you ever invade peoples space, okay i find myself doing this alllllllll the time, okay so im having another bad autie moment now, not very verbal, just one worders, we went to pick up my usual surf taco chicken caeser wrap, and i grabbed the girls hand behind the register to see her ring, and just said beaut beaut beaut because it was royal blue haha. The place knows im autistic though haha, the girl just smiled and said thanks. Its funny though, my bf pointed out how i invade ppls space wayyy too much, but mostly everybody knows something is wrong with me, so they just smile or think I'm cute. I was like wow. I don't even realize it though, I guess in a way ppl notice theres something off about me haha. The whole time we were waiting for our food, I was just staring at the royal blue fan they have lol, twisting my fingers, kicking my bf lol. Does anybody find themselves invading other peoples space?

Yeah, I guess i have.. i don't really know what you mean. But like you, when you took that girl's hand to look at her ring, yeah i've been doing such things. I do grab friends's hands if i see that they have a new ring or a new bracelet or i'd look and touch a headband that they're wearing.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 11:31 am

I've had issues with this before, especially as a teenager, but now I'm pretty careful. The last person who complained about me invading personal space was a woman with AS, several months ago, but she was still outside of my arm's reach.

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Mar 2008, 11:50 pm

No. I tend to curl up and lean away or dodge when people get too close to me. I guard my personal space constantly, so I don't think I'd end up in anyone else's unless I'm forced there by crowds and traffic, or if the person has a bigger personal radius than mine.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 2:18 am

Pithlet wrote:
No. I tend to curl up and lean away or dodge when people get too close to me. I guard my personal space constantly, so I don't think I'd end up in anyone else's unless I'm forced there by crowds and traffic, or if the person has a bigger personal radius than mine.

Me too--I always find people are invading MY space. It's especially annoying when they lightly brush past you. A lot of times, especially in check out lines, I'll stick my elbows out towards someone who I think is getting too close, in an obvious way, then people think I'm a freak.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 6:57 am

I don't know what constitutes someone else's space, but I don't consider anyone being in my space to be invasive.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Detren
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Mar 2008, 9:00 am

My personal space is about a 3 foot radius MINIMUM around me (stressful days it grows to about 7 feet.). If someone is closer and there is more room to be (not in a crowd or a small area.) I get jittery. I hide it well, or think I do. It's mostly with strangers though. With my husband and children I have much smaller radius. (but still have to tell my 6 year old a couple times a day to "move back a couple inches, hun, you're way too close." but his personal space is more like -1 inches, he likes to sit on/snuggle constantly. (when you are talking to someone and their face is blurry because they are so close, they are definitely too close.)

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 9:56 am

I too have a big bubble of personal space that I do not want to have invaded, but i have known some aspies who were big invaders of personal space...

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 10:26 am

Some particulary creepy people have been invading mine and my family's. Really creepy.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 10:43 am

oh...i hate when that happens.....we used to have this neighbor...not an aspie...though possibly Narciscisstic personality disorder.....or SOMEthing.....ugh......drove me insane....

Always barging in and making himself at home uninvited...always helping himself...sometimes predatory towards our guests.....and then he would get mad at me for being hostile and/unresponsive towards him....in my OWN home....he was so creepy.....

Fortunately, we have moved.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 10:52 am

poopylungstuffing wrote:
oh...i hate when that happens.....we used to have this neighbor...not an aspie...though possibly Narciscisstic personality disorder.....or SOMEthing.....ugh......drove me insane....

Always barging in and making himself at home uninvited...always helping himself...sometimes predatory towards our guests.....and then he would get mad at me for being hostile and/unresponsive towards him....in my OWN home....he was so creepy.....

Sounds like someone I know. Really creepy.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 1:59 pm

I'm very careful, about that. I only hug my best friends and family members.

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 2:04 pm

I'm the opposite, I try to be as far away from others as possible. I make it a point to give people plenty of personal space because I like having tons of personal space myself. I think it is because I just don't like to be touched, especially unexpectedly or by someone I don't know very well, and some people have a tendency to want to grab when they talk.

merrymadscientist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 2:27 pm

I NEVER touch other people - something my ex husband complained about a lot. I couldnt even give him a hug - sometimes just didnt think about it, other times I wanted to but couldnt bring myself to do it as it just felt wierd. I will hug people back - close friends and family, but a bit awkwardly (although I dont actually mind it), but will never ever initiate the hug. I never reach out and touch people either. I think as a child I didnt really like being hugged, but sometimes now when I am lonely I feel that I would really like one - as long as it is exactly how I like it and for how long I want it to be.