Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Peri
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Mar 2008, 9:23 am

I asked my dauther's therapist and her doctor this question, but I got no answer. Maybe I will here.

How do I know when my daughter's outburst is a result of her Asperger's and needs to be understood or when it is just a child acting out and needs discipline?

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 9:54 am

You don't. You always understand and you always expect the rules to be followed. There are always triggers to any child's outburst and if you can find out what they are, you can try and alleviate them. Discipline means enforcing social skills, it is not punishment. Every child needs discipline to learn to self-manage and get along. Providing structure and expectations, regardless of condition, creates boundaries that people can live with.

RockyMtnAspieMom
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Mar 2008, 10:22 am

It takes a long time figure things out! Sometimes you don't! However, the more situations come about, the more you will realize in time what exactly is making the child tick. For example...my son stared to refuse going to school. Why? Never did before? What was it? Could something have happened at school? Could something have happened on the school bus? (he is 6) Took me 3 months to figure it out - and it was the Asperger's - it was his uncomfortable socks and shoes. He hated putting them on - therefor refusing to get dressed - turned into "I'm not going to school today!"

How did I figure this out? I watched his EVERY single move one morning trying to figure it out! I finally learned that his feet grew a 1/2 size. I bought him seamless socks, new sneakers, new boots, new sandles. Has not refused to go to school since. 3 months of agony! And all it was was the socks and shoes! Why couldn't he tell me that? Because he didn't realize it either. Brat? or Asperger's?

Always Asperger's with him. Rarely the usually typical kid stuff because he is not a typical kid! no NT about it! Most of the time, it is something sensory related.

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 10:45 am

I have the same experience - 99 times out of 100 it's autism related. By now, I've used so much time trying to work my autistic son out, I find him more predictable than his NT brother!! :)
That doesn't mean that "anything goes" - but it does mean that you have to have your "autism glasses" on and solve problems and create the behaviour you want in a different way - a way that works for your child. It also means picking your battles carefully!
The times I have tried to treat him more NT have been a dismal failure.

HarraArial
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Mar 2008, 6:14 pm

It's almost impossible to tell, really, although, if you have the time for it while they are starting to act out, think about what earlier has happened in the day. Was there anything in particular that could have stressed your child? If so, it's probably the AS, if not, it's probably the acting out.

I am no expert on this, but this is just something I've noticed a lot. All the same, when it comes to dicipline, get her to a quieter place, it always helps ((unless they hate quiet.)) And tell her what not to do in a clear, precise way, and then let her back out, unless she needs to stay where it's quieter.

Does that help any?

But all the same, as others have said, oftentimes, it's autism-related, I rarely find people with AS having outbursts for other reasons ((both in my own experiences, and that from my friends.))

Everyone knows it's Windy!"

Peri
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Mar 2008, 7:04 pm

Thanks for your advice everyone, and I hope this isn't a stupid question, but what does NT mean?

Also, most of the issues with my daughter's Aspergers are hyper or scheduling related. One time she freaked out because we didn't go to the convinence store she likes when leaving my friend's house. At the time, I thought she was just being a brat, but what if her reaction was more to a variance in her routine than not getting a candy bar?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 8:25 pm

I would say the later, in your example with your daughter. Aspie kids cannot deal with things that do not go as expected. My answer has basically been to train my son not to expect, lol. He can deal with a change in routine if he is prepared for it, or not otherwise locked into the assumption that a routine will be followed. If I do something he likes once, I've realized it quickly becomes expected, so I head that off at the start. Yes, we have many routines, of course, but I've learned to be careful about what becomes routine, and what doesn't.

NT means nuerotypical. "Normal" kids. I don't think you will see that anywhere but in Apsie forums.

I would say that my son does not have outbursts that are discipline issues. They are always stress/coping related. Not to say that he won't challenge my authority, but he doesn't have an outburst or meltdown while doing so. It is clearly and obviously different. My NT daughter, on the other hand, is quite the actress. It is amazing how fast you can appease an actress. My son can NEVER make a turn around from upset to happy the way she does, which is one reason why I am so sure of the difference. Once he has had an outburst, I could flip things around and make everything right, but he STILL will be upset, because the whole process is out of his control at that point.

That does not mean we can't help our children learn to spot the signs leading up to a meltdown, so that they can give us notice and we can work together to head it off. My son has progressed with that a lot. If he tells me he is about to have a freak out (his term), I change course. He rarely does that, and when he does I can recognize the impending signs as well, so this has not become something he has ever chosen to abuse. Interesting because it isn't like he would never lie about anything - he does all the time, to avoid doing things like washing his hands or brushing his teeth - but when it comes to the really deep things, the core, he doesn't seem to be capable of it.

AS11
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Mar 2008, 10:55 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
I would say the later, in your example with your daughter. Aspie kids cannot deal with things that do not go as expected. My answer has basically been to train my son not to expect, lol. He can deal with a change in routine if he is prepared for it, or not otherwise locked into the assumption that a routine will be followed. If I do something he likes once, I've realized it quickly becomes expected, so I head that off at the start. Yes, we have many routines, of course, but I've learned to be careful about what becomes routine, and what doesn't.

NT means nuerotypical. "Normal" kids. I don't think you will see that anywhere but in Apsie forums.

I would say that my son does not have outbursts that are discipline issues. They are always stress/coping related. Not to say that he won't challenge my authority, but he doesn't have an outburst or meltdown while doing so. It is clearly and obviously different. My NT daughter, on the other hand, is quite the actress. It is amazing how fast you can appease an actress. My son can NEVER make a turn around from upset to happy the way she does, which is one reason why I am so sure of the difference. Once he has had an outburst, I could flip things around and make everything right, but he STILL will be upset, because the whole process is out of his control at that point.

Interesting because it isn't like he would never lie about anything - he does all the time, to avoid doing things like washing his hands or brushing his teeth - but when it comes to the really deep things, the core, he doesn't seem to be capable of it.

OMG much of what you have said is about the closest I have ever come accross that even begins to make sense of our situation! What you said about appeasing your daughter but not being able to turn aorund your sons outburst completely, the lying about teeth etc but not about the 'deep' things is true. Thank you for putting it into words.

platypus1000
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Mar 2008, 6:28 am

I asked one of the therapists at TEACCH this same exact question and she said everything in his life is related to his autism. The psychologist that we are working with recommended a book called 1 2 3 Magic.

rachel46
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Mar 2008, 8:25 am

That's the $64,000 question isn't it? IMHO Aspergers is never an excuse for something - it is the reason for it. Is my son being "bad" because he has trouble talking loudly in public (or at home!)? or is it the Apsergers? Is my son being "bad" when he misunderstands our instructions to him or is it our fault for not explaining it in a way he can understand? Is my son being "bad" or "mean" when he makes one of his sort of rude, but truth filled comments that you really shouldn't say or is he still learning the nuances of social interaction?

I know my son is a good person and Aspergers is part of my son's entire being so the behaviors he exhibits that might be misconstrued as defiance or non-compliance (I'm thinkking of school now) are absolutely not that at all.

Peri
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Mar 2008, 9:09 am

platypus1000 wrote:
I asked one of the therapists at TEACCH this same exact question and she said everything in his life is related to his autism. The psychologist that we are working with recommended a book called 1 2 3 Magic.

I'll try to find it, thanks. My daughter's doctor also suggested Quirky Kids, which, coincidently was written by another woman named Peri (she just sticks in an extra r.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 12:54 pm

AS11 wrote:
OMG much of what you have said is about the closest I have ever come accross that even begins to make sense of our situation! What you said about appeasing your daughter but not being able to turn aorund your sons outburst completely, the lying about teeth etc but not about the 'deep' things is true. Thank you for putting it into words.

Thank YOU for the compliment and you are very much welcome.

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2008, 1:47 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
AS11 wrote:

I, too, would like to compliment you on describing this difference so well. This "Is it the Asperger's, or is it a) "typical" acting out for a child his age and/or b) we're just really inept parents?" question has overshadowed our whole experience. I cannot tell you the hours we have spent AGONIZING over whether or not we're "just bad parents" or just don't possess the temperament and patience necessary, and have even questioned the wisdom of our having procreated in the first place. We have actively NOT had any more children, nor will we. We love our son with all our hearts, just the way he is, in fact, but parenting him takes the same amount of energy, patience, and flexibility normally required only in large households with several children. In other words, it takes all we have and then some to be halfway decent parents of this one child with Asperger's and ADHD. And I thank god every day that his father is a loving, kind-hearted, dependable man and our marriage has actually survived the challenges of parenthood (knock wood).

Sorry, bit of a tangent there at the end. I'd just meant to compliment you on a valuable and insightful contribution to this thread. :)

Smunkey
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Mar 2008, 4:31 pm

sinagua wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
AS11 wrote:

I, too, would like to compliment you on describing this difference so well. This "Is it the Asperger's, or is it a) "typical" acting out for a child his age and/or b) we're just really inept parents?" question has overshadowed our whole experience. I cannot tell you the hours we have spent AGONIZING over whether or not we're "just bad parents" or just don't possess the temperament and patience necessary, and have even questioned the wisdom of our having procreated in the first place. We have actively NOT had any more children, nor will we. We love our son with all our hearts, just the way he is, in fact, but parenting him takes the same amount of energy, patience, and flexibility normally required only in large households with several children. In other words, it takes all we have and then some to be halfway decent parents of this one child with Asperger's and ADHD. And I thank god every day that his father is a loving, kind-hearted, dependable man and our marriage has actually survived the challenges of parenthood (knock wood).

Sorry, bit of a tangent there at the end. I'd just meant to compliment you on a valuable and insightful contribution to this thread. :)

Sinagua, what is the age of your Aspie/ADHD child?

This is my first time contributing to this site, and I've been reading many of the posts, hoping I would find a parent who understands the challenges of a child with both Dx. My stepson just turned 9, and I've been his stepmom for not quite 2 years and the adjustment for us both has been relatively easy (except that I am more consistent than his father and do not give in to his frequent "negotiating" - he hasn't liked this one bit!) Homework is becoming difficult; it takes him twice as long because of constant redirection, so it's not unusual for him to spend 1-2 hours on something NT kids would spend 20 minutes on (not fun for him when he's already spent 7 hrs. in school). He argues constantly about doing school work he finds "boring" or has no interest in, and purposely doesn't bring home his assignment book thinking he'll get out of doing it. We use a reward/punishment system, good for while he's young (3rd grade), but this probably isn't going to be as effective as he gets older. Then there's the talking back to his teachers and he's becoming more of a discipline case (he can't seem to control his comments/opinions when they're not being solicited). I would love to chat with any parents who have found positive ways to deal with the special challenges of an AS/ADHD child or if you are AS/ADHD and can tell me some things that work/don't.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 6:21 pm

Smunkey, most of what you have described sounds typical for all AS children, with or without the ADHD. What I have discovered with my son is that homework is very intimidating to him, and half the time he has stressed himself out just by looking at it, and thinking about having to do it. It's as if in that moment he cannot conceive of being able to ever finish it. And, thus, he started all the tricks to try to get out of it, much as your son has.

One thing that really has helped is to uncover some of those mental barriers, and remove them. The other thing that has helped was for him to make the decision with his counselor that he should sit down and do homework the moment he got home from school. His decision, not ours. The final thing that may have spurred him to solve this for himself was discovering that when he goes to middle school next year, his grades will depend in large part on turning in his homework. He is just appalled that someone could get a D in a class while knowing every detail of the material, simply for not doing the homework! Of course, at first we got weeks of discussion on this concept, but with the help of his teacher and counselor (and us, of course) he seems to have finally moved into a phase of acceptance, and decided he had pretty darn well figure out how to complete the stuff without stressing himself out. Some days it is still really difficult for him, but I am seeing a lot of progress.

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Mar 2008, 10:02 pm

Smunkey wrote:
Sinagua, what is the age of your Aspie/ADHD child?

He turned nine in January.

Quote:
This is my first time contributing to this site, and I've been reading many of the posts, hoping I would find a parent who understands the challenges of a child with both Dx. My stepson just turned 9, and I've been his stepmom for not quite 2 years and the adjustment for us both has been relatively easy (except that I am more consistent than his father and do not give in to his frequent "negotiating" - he hasn't liked this one bit!) Homework is becoming difficult; it takes him twice as long because of constant redirection, so it's not unusual for him to spend 1-2 hours on something NT kids would spend 20 minutes on (not fun for him when he's already spent 7 hrs. in school). He argues constantly about doing school work he finds "boring" or has no interest in, and purposely doesn't bring home his assignment book thinking he'll get out of doing it. We use a reward/punishment system, good for while he's young (3rd grade), but this probably isn't going to be as effective as he gets older. Then there's the talking back to his teachers and he's becoming more of a discipline case (he can't seem to control his comments/opinions when they're not being solicited). I would love to chat with any parents who have found positive ways to deal with the special challenges of an AS/ADHD child or if you are AS/ADHD and can tell me some things that work/don't.

I'm not sure that I can help, but I'd be happy to talk to you. There's about a zillion questions I could ask about your own situation. Is your child on medication? Does he have a 504 plan at school? Does he have a lot of anxiety? I definitely know how hard it can be arguing/debating such a child, and very often his honest questions seem like sass - I have to work hard to see it as usually just him being very literal and not snotty (sometimes it's hard to tell, granted).

Sounds like he might not be being challenged at school, if he's bored. Our son also has a great deal of trouble with controlling his comments/opinions in class - he calls out very often. How do his teachers handle him? Has he had speech or behavioral therapy? Socialization therapy? I hardly know where to start... Good luck, at any rate!