Is Economics a Good Career for an Aspie?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

JakeWilson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Mar 2008, 2:40 pm

I am a Math Major right now but I am thinking about getting a double degree in Mathematics and Economics. Is Asperger's a help or a hurt in a career as an Economist?

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 2:51 pm

It depends on if you like Economics or not. What career do you plan? Private sector? Corporate, Research? Academic? The atmosphere/environment you will work in will determine your "fit" more than being Aspie or not.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 2:53 pm

AS isn't a hurt, and probably a help. Actually, Nobel Prize winning economist Vernon Smith has AS. Given the strong mathematical tendencies and strong logical tendencies of economics, you can probably do well in economics and it will probably make you a better thinker as it is a social science with overlaps in many other fields. Also, the degree will probably help your chances at getting a job by giving you a broader skill set that relates more to policy and business.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 3:33 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
AS isn't a hurt, and probably a help. Actually, Nobel Prize winning economist Vernon Smith has AS. Given the strong mathematical tendencies and strong logical tendencies of economics, you can probably do well in economics and it will probably make you a better thinker as it is a social science with overlaps in many other fields. Also, the degree will probably help your chances at getting a job by giving you a broader skill set that relates more to policy and business.

Vernon Smith was a professor at Mason's Econ Department.
Retired now I believe.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 5:38 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
Vernon Smith was a professor at Mason's Econ Department.
Retired now I believe.

Correct, I assume that you are trying to promote GMU. Our person in question is going to Texas A&M U, which is not a bad university for economics from what I know.. Actually former congressman and current friend of McCain, Phil Gramm was a professor there.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 6:22 pm

Just noted it because Mason had two economics noble prize winners.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 7:23 pm

JerryHatake wrote:

jerry hatake and alex plank also go to george mason.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 7:37 pm

hyperbolic wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:

My s/n isn't my real name but anyway you go to Mason too?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 8:21 pm

JerryHatake wrote:

Trust me, I know. James Buchanan and Vernon L Smith, both founders of a field of economics: public choice economics and experimental economics respectively. Both also somewhat libertarian as James Buchanan's work ends up dealing with notions such as rent-seeking, and Vernon L Smith's work was inspired by Human Action by Mises and he was also somewhat inspired by Hayek in the spontaneous order he saw in his research. Really though, you dropping all of that stuff about GMU sounds an awful lot like advertisement as GMU hardly even has a place to enter the conversation.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 7:02 am

Its not because one I have to take six hours of econ for my degree and its challenging some times. I do go to the professor for help for Mirco and recieved a C for the semester but this round I'm working my butt to a grdae higer than a C. Thats how of Mason's Econ Department is.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 1:55 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
hyperbolic wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:

No, I don't go to GM, but I have looked at some of their computer science research before and happened to notice that you and Alex went there.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 1:59 pm

hyperbolic wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
hyperbolic wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:

No, I don't go to GM, but I have looked at some of their computer science research before and happened to notice that you and Alex went there.

Oh Ok makes senses.

Raylynn
Toucan
Toucan

15 Mar 2008, 8:04 pm

FYI, tamu undergrad econ classes aren't very challenging mathwise (with a couple exceptions) they focus more on the theory and simple formulas. so if you like economic theory and memorizing simple formulas i think you'd do well in econ classes. however, that said i know several applied math/econ majors that do very well because they see and understand the math underlying all the theories better than those kids who suck at math.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 5:27 pm

http://www.chrissilvey.com/gradschoolrankings.html a link to various listings/rankings of econ grad schools. good luck.