Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2005, 4:20 pm

Does anyone else enjoy this masterpiece in either book or tv form? (come on nomaken i know you do). It is about a great man who becomes a teacher because he wants to meet young girls. His eternal quest to teach a class full of "short skirts and loose white socks" and sleep with the girls but it never happens. He is my role model so sign in if you love him too

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2005, 4:24 pm

hmmm. sounds somewhat abusive to me - teacher + young people?

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2005, 4:37 pm

Never heard of it.

Isn't "a great man who becomes a teacher because he wants to meet young girls" a contridiction in terms? I mean, a great man wouldn't abuse his position of authority like that.

BeeBee

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2005, 4:37 pm

I thought that at first but apparently it was my narrow minded western judging of eastern culture.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2005, 4:48 pm

ah, is the setting Japan?

I belong to a board where many of the people know a great deal about Japan. Many members live there. Weither such activity is wrong, just plain wrong, or if its culturely based is one of the hottest topic there.

I've heard intelligent agreements both ways but most people think it is just plain wrong. Then again, the board is make up of mostly westerners.

BeeBee

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2005, 5:52 pm

Thats just WRONG.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2005, 6:02 pm

Yeah I agree that is just wrong, and I would imagine that it very badly stereotypes Japanisse culture.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2005, 6:38 pm

Oh, i just love GTO. He is one of my heroes indeed, but right now i'm hungry for some kanzaki. There have to be some evil super genius girls out there that are playful and fun. I want you. I want to bite you.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2005, 6:45 pm

Well let me elaborate for you.

GTO is about this rather stupid and arrogant but overall wise man who becomes a teacher. His motives aren't so clear cut as simply being in it for the girls. He seems to indeed want to be a great teacher, and he goes to many great lengths to prove this, and he continually goes above and beyond the call of duty to achieve this, and infact resists his perverted nature occasionally. Although, perversion is a large part of his personality, but being fun and friendly is larger. He is wise in that he knows what is truely important to students of that age and does everything he can to be an excellent role model and support them when their chips are down.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2005, 7:27 am

... often resulting in hilarious hijinks : P

I've seen some of the anime, it's pretty funny.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2005, 7:40 am

Wow, cool! for everyone who replied here is a pic of him in all his glory

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2005, 9:43 am

Well, British tabloid newspapers used to show pictures of half-naked sixteen year old girls (and most red-blooded males would agree that they looked more than a little inviting). So, can't see what the problem is.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2005, 10:08 am

Even people who are autistic to most degrees are subject to a process called socialization. They internalize the values of the society around them, believing that societies values and norms to be good, desirable, and normal. One own society often is thought to be the natural way of living, and all other societies that are different are often thought to be bad, undesirable, abnormal and unnatural.
In short, people fear new and foreign ideas. It isn't necessarily a bad thing. More like an evolutionarily developed defense mechanism.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2005, 11:38 am

Nomaken wrote:
They internalize the values of the society around them, believing that societies values and norms to be good, desirable, and normal.

Hmm... many do, I don't, to be honest. I best clarify that I don't hold the British tabloid press to be any sort of model of virtue; they'll condemn a man as a paedophile for carrying on with a 14 year old, then print a picture of topless Tracy (age 16years) on page three next day — at least last time I read one, which was a long time ago.

I would guess at a basic anthropological level, likeing young —as in teenage— girls is "normal" and, in fact, desireable; which, I suppose, was the point that was on my mind when writing the first post.

fukai_otaku
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Oct 2005, 1:41 pm

I enjoy GTO!! ! My favorite character would have to be Murai Juria! (Julia Murai) Kunio's Mom is awesome!! She is an awesome mother. I've seen the anime episode in both dubbed and japanese, but I like the japanese better. Also I have manga #3 which is her first appearence! I got into GTO the manga in English and I was hooked on Ms.Murai!! It's like she's a young mother, but really mature too!! She doesn't take crap from Kunio at least I think she doesn't. ^_^;

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2005, 6:49 pm

There are exceptions. The people who screw up and do things to offend others in a society probably either learned the wrong things, or failed to learn them. One of the main qualities of autism is an inability to learn social norms. But most everyone who isn't currently in an insane asylem, jail, or on a cocktail of medications, or soon to be, have some natural ability to absorb observed norms. They might be just fine people, but those who do not absorb some social norms eventually screw up, offend or hurt the wrong people and get placed in those institutions.