Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

marmotta
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Mar 2008, 12:11 am

My husband has a tendency to not be able to express himself in words at times, and will switch to 'speaking cat' to express a range of emotions. I speak cat back. Anyone else do this?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 12:14 am

I have a way of communicating with cats.

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Mar 2008, 12:18 am

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean rubbing your chin on him to so affection, only slightly opening you eyes to show your calm and so on? I picked up many ways of getting along with cats from when my family had two cats.

I'm not 100% I know quite what you mean though.

asperity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Mar 2008, 12:24 am

I get an urge to bristle and hiss when people invade my space. Is that something similar?

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 12:30 am

Meeeeoooiw

:cat: :cat: :cat:

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 12:41 am

I read the book, Look Me in the Eye, by John Elder Robison, an Aspergian. He writes that sometimes when isn't sure how to respond he just says, "Woof."

I like that!

singularitymadam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: I live in a Mad Max movie. It's not as fun as it sounds.

14 Mar 2008, 1:21 am

Most people who know me well have remarked that many of my mannerisms are feline in appearance, and I purr when my hair is played with... but the only individual I actually meow at is my cat. I guess everyone talks back to their pets, though.

Interesting idea, expressing emotions like a cat. Can you give more details?

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 2:00 am

My cat's name is Tesla. He and I have a rapport. Apparently, all animals lack Theory of Mind (moot point since theyre not human though), as do those with autism - the common denominator. Tesla and Lab Pet know each other.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 2:13 am

I don't know what you mean by that expression. I tend to meow at my cats and love to hear them meow right back. Yes, this is coming from a strange gal but it's like taking a bubble bath. My family's even commented on how well I can speak in cataneze when they hear my cats respond back at me. I've even been called The Cat Whisperer. :cat:

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 3:05 am

I do not have a cat becuse I often am away from home but if I had one I would call him or her Schrödinger :)

marmotta
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Mar 2008, 6:55 am

My husband, when words aren't coming for what he wants to say, or it just takes too many words, will use cat vocaliztions (on the phone) or vocalizations and mannerisms in person.
He will chin me, purr at me, use various tones in calling or low moans, growls or hisses. Its funny, because it works into conversation as fast as English.
A cat tone, plus one word equals a whole lot of words.
"School" plus tone could be...I hate school in general. I am bored. I do not understand the social mechanics of. I have to participate in the social mechanics of and do not like. It went well today. I like my professor. I am homesick. School is keeping me from your cooking. I would rather be doing anything but school. I need sleep/food/a break/to get done a project...

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 7:29 am

To a certain degree.....my boyfriend and I often speak in gibberish to each other ...and some of that gibberish includes meowing...and maybe some catlike body language...
My cat uses alot of sign language, and I understand her more if she uses body language to dictate what she wants, as opposed to her meowing jags....where she just seems to meow and meow and meow, for no apparent reason other than possibly wanting attention.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 8:55 am

I speak cat when I'm with my cats.