Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2005, 2:20 pm

I am completely horrible with this. I cannot give or recieve directions without getting majorly lost. Storytime: I was over at my teacher's house for a movie night a few years ago, and my parents had gone out for the night, so I asked my teacher for a ride home. We get into the car and drive down the expressway, towards my house. I tell him to go right, but point to the left :oops: and we end up getting lost. It was really annoying because he knew exactly where I live before I told him.

Bottom line: don't ask me for directions unless you want to get horribly lost and end up in Canada rather than California. ;) I also still have a hard time telling my left from my right and I am left-handed. :(

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2005, 2:30 pm

I couldn't figure it out until I injured my right hand and left a small scar. For me, nothing works better for telling left from right than having a distinctive mark I can associate with direction.

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2005, 2:41 pm

I kind of know (I always think 'left-right' and point with my hands instinctively) but I do the L thing to check. Except I didn't do that once when giving directions home and we had to turn round. Thing is, when I'm sitting in the back, pointing and saying 'that way' doesn't help the driver!

rain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Sep 2005, 4:53 pm

Musical_Lottie wrote:
Thing is, when I'm sitting in the back, pointing and saying 'that way' doesn't help the driver!

Hehe, I do the same thing all the time!

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2005, 4:56 pm

I had some trouble with left and right when I was little.Sometimes it can be a bit troubling,but it's not as bas as when I was little.

-SpaceCase :D

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2005, 10:20 am

I notice a lot of people tell by visual markers and such. Doesn't anyone else get that feeling of total dominance over the dominant side of their bodies???

I mean, I am VERY right handed and even just sitting here I can feel which side of my body is utterly dominant and I can tell incredibly easily which side is right (dominant) and which side of me is left (nondominant).

Anyone? Anyone? Can nobody else just FEEL this???

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

ajs_line_of_silver
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2005, 11:45 am

Quote:
I mean, I am VERY right handed and even just sitting here I can feel which side of my body is utterly dominant and I can tell incredibly easily which side is right (dominant) and which side of me is left (nondominant).

I think if I had that I would go insane I have a sensory issue with evenness (I slammed my fingers in a door purpose because I had done it to the other hand and could not stand the unevenness any more)

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2005, 12:27 pm

RobertN wrote:
Its easy. You got Tony Benn and Hugo Chavez on the Left, and George Bush and Michael Howard on the Right.

Whoops. Sorry for turning every single discussion into something to do with politics!! !! !! !! :oops: :wink:

I never did figure out what left and right wing was...

Note: this is NOT an invitation to politically brainwash me! I know two things: politics sucks, and Bush is the suckiest of they sucky. That is all I need to know!

rain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Oct 2005, 6:08 pm

Sophist wrote:
I notice a lot of people tell by visual markers and such. Doesn't anyone else get that feeling of total dominance over the dominant side of their bodies???

Anyone? Anyone? Can nobody else just FEEL this???

In a word,
nope!

Both sides feel the same to me. If you give me a pen it'll take me a second to put it in the right (& correct) hand, but otherwise I'm lost (literally, lol)