Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2005, 11:56 pm

Do you have trouble telling your left from your right? I do. It takes me a few seconds to figure it out. I figure it out by my heart being on my left side or my right hand being the one I write with. Everyone else knows instantly which way is right and left, but for me I have to think a few seconds... :(

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2005, 12:17 am

No, I don't have any problems with that. Years of dance training helped me differentiate between your left and right feet. Actually, I don't think I had problems with that when I was really little. I suppose I have atypical AS.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2005, 2:24 am

When I was younger I did. Today not so much a problem.

julieme
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Sep 2005, 6:27 am

Hi,

Hold out your hands in front of you and the left one makes an L.

Warning do not do this obviously with anyone givng you directions while driving. It makes passangers nervous.

I anyone else races sailboats - I have translated that whole messay port , starbord, windward, leward, overtaking or not mess into simple left and not left terms.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2005, 7:19 am

julieme wrote:
Hi,

Warning do not do this obviously with anyone givng you directions while driving. It makes passangers nervous.

I anyone else races sailboats - I have translated that whole messay port , starbord, windward, leward, overtaking or not mess into simple left and not left terms.

I still have to mentally go down my left arm and remember the left arm makes an L to know, but it's pretty fast. I don't have to do it but I have to picture doing it. ((And I'm NINETEEN! It's pathetic.))

RobertN
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2005, 7:24 am

Its easy. You got Tony Benn and Hugo Chavez on the Left, and George Bush and Michael Howard on the Right.

Whoops. Sorry for turning every single discussion into something to do with politics!! !! !! !! :oops: :wink:

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2005, 7:36 am

I have no problems telling my left from my right because my right hand just feels so dominant. But as for telling someone else's, say from a different direction, then I have to stop and think. But that's more related to spacial problems rather than left/right problems.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

solid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2005, 7:40 am

A good way to tell your left from right is by holsing out both of your hands with your thumb at the end and which one makes an l is your left

Stop talking trash

ajs_line_of_silver
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Sep 2005, 9:24 am

julieme wrote

Quote:

The holding your hands out in front of u dos not work for us people with that bad spelling disorder (ironically I could not figger out how to spell it). I use to have write L and R on my hands below by thumbs for driving that makes your passengers nervus

Lucky I ripped a tendon in my arm 1 to many times now I know by the pane that it is my left arm.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2005, 9:36 am

I have to think it out everytime too. As you commented, it doesn't take too long anymore but still....(and I'm 45 years old.)

BeeBee

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2005, 10:20 am

I constantly confuse them. I turn right when thinking left, i try to unscrew a cap and tighten it. Its fun.

Morlock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Sep 2005, 10:54 am

I did till about the age of 12.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2005, 11:50 am

I had that problem until I was in HS and trained myself to know which hand I write with.

Speaking of making people nervous, I should try that with my bus and see what happens :lol:

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

rain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Sep 2005, 12:00 pm

I still can't tell my left from right,
even holding my hands out to see which one makes an L doesn't work, as I can see both as an L
(my mind works too much like a mirror, heh)

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2005, 12:08 pm

I had this problem especially before first grade. I knew of the words left and right, but it took me forever to remember which went with which side of my body. I eventually learned that I was left handed and left would be on the side of the hand I write with.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2005, 2:20 pm

I am completely horrible with this. I cannot give or recieve directions without getting majorly lost. Storytime: I was over at my teacher's house for a movie night a few years ago, and my parents had gone out for the night, so I asked my teacher for a ride home. We get into the car and drive down the expressway, towards my house. I tell him to go right, but point to the left :oops: and we end up getting lost. It was really annoying because he knew exactly where I live before I told him.

Bottom line: don't ask me for directions unless you want to get horribly lost and end up in Canada rather than California. ;) I also still have a hard time telling my left from my right and I am left-handed. :(