Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

A350XWB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Mar 2008, 10:29 pm

Here I stand, regarding my calculus troubles, considering the declaration of an "incomplet permanent" (permanent unfinished) because calculus II has induced so much psychological suffering that I may never fully recover if I continue with that course. The college psychologist recommended that I declare a "permament unfinished" and re-take calculus II in the next semester; but my calculus professor says otherwise.

What should I do?

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 1:41 am

I would say that, depending how far you are in the course, that you should keep going if you've already been in the class for awhile. That way it won't cause you more stress later by worrying about having to take it again the next semester. I'm not very good at math, so almost every single math course that I've taken I've had lots of stress. For instance, my senior year of high school I had a math teacher with a teaching style that I really couldn't learn from. I really needed a teacher that walked me through everything rather than seeing if someone could get the answer right in the homework and then afterwards teaching the class about the homework after grading us on it. I'm also taking Statistics for a Psychology major and this teacher has almost the exact same teaching style as my high school math teacher my senior year. I'm actually thinking of dropping my Statistics class because I haven't been doing as well as I've wanted. I am maxed out on credits and I feel too stretched out as in I'm not able to do my best in my classes because of the amount of work that I have. I'm already almost to the midterm. I say that if I fail the midterm in Statistics that I will drop the class before it is too late. I say that for your case that if you are having trouble with the course material and that is stressing you out that you should pick the class up at another time and self-teach the material to yourself, which is what I'm thinking of doing if I drop Statistics. If it is just stressing yourself out and you aren't having trouble with the class or material itself then you should just get it over with so that you won't stress yourself out by fearing to take the class again. Anyways, good luck with your decision.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

lovebat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Mar 2008, 7:13 am

I had the exact same dilemma about 3 weeks ago. I had a D after the midterm, so I just dropped the calc class and now I'm gonna try it again next quarter. I felt so relieved after dropping it. Time will tell if it was actually a good idea though.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 9:17 am

what would look best on transcripts and be best for your gpa? like do they average the attempts or what? what does your teach think?

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

A350XWB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Mar 2008, 9:23 pm

Material is just one of the sources of calculus-based stress.

dark_mage
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Mar 2008, 9:55 pm

Calculus II was difficult for me but I did have some motivation to master it. If you do drop, will you be self-studying and then retake the class?

A350XWB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2008, 7:34 pm

dark_mage wrote:
Calculus II was difficult for me but I did have some motivation to master it. If you do drop, will you be self-studying and then retake the class?

Yes.

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 9:59 pm

If you can drop it with an incomplete that won't affect the GPA, do it. If you complete the course, can you retake it and replace the grade? Dropping isn't quitting, it's giving you time to pound on the parts you're having trouble with. Not to mention part of the problem may be with how the teacher presents the material. A different teacher may have a method more compatible with your learning style.