Page 2 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 5:16 am

My guilty pleasures in music usually lie in the odd pop single from guys who didn't manage to put out much of worth otherwise. Like Chicago after Chicago VII, they seemed to lose whatever made them interesting to me by then, but "If You Leave Me Now" is such a great song. Then Spandau Ballet with "True" and "Through the Barricades", say.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 9:40 am

I like a little of everything, except for country, jazz and rap.

My favorites include: Classical, showtunes, 1950s and 1960s rock and roll, 1980s pop and a tape of national anthems of various countries. I used to work out on a ski machine while the national anthems tape was playing. Most of the songs have a march tempo very conducive to exercise.

I had a cat who loved music too. Samantha would come upstairs when music was playing.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 10:12 am

Another genre of music I love is Dinner Jazz. At least that's what it's called on Shoutcast.com - "Dinner Jazz Excursion". Most of the time it's this soft, lucious jazz and I love that sound. I have it playing almost every time I'm on the internet.

Tensho
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Mar 2008, 11:57 am

I think to have good taste in music you must like a variety and be willing to like music outside of a favourite genre. Every genre has its very talented artists and then thousands of other artists not so good. But for a person to say an average artist of one genre is better than an artist who is the best of his genre shows bad taste to me.

Aridarr
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 12:03 pm

Everytime We Touch by Cascada is the most listened to song on my MP3 player. And all of the remixes...

Tensho
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Mar 2008, 12:12 pm

Aridarr wrote:
Everytime We Touch by Cascada is the most listened to song on my MP3 player. And all of the remixes...

I listened to that song a lot too for days.. Its a good song. I also liked Cascada - I Need A Miracle.

If you liked these I think you might like Groove Coverage - Moonlight Shadow and Groove Coverage - God is a Girl.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 1:11 pm

Hector wrote:
Like Chicago after Chicago VII, they seemed to lose whatever made them interesting to me by then, but "If You Leave Me Now" is such a great song.

Lemon Jelly did track called "Soft" that's pretty much just one sample from that song by Chicago, repeated over & over-the "ooh-hoo, baby, please don't go" line.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft/Rock
Many artists listed in thread are ones I like (or used to, when these came out). I grew up in the 70's & listened to the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack (at friend's house, since I didn't have the album), hadn't even seen the movie (only just saw it a few years ago). Liked Bee-Gees' music, incl. that hit they had later, "One"-also songs by their (late) brother Andy Gibb.
markaudette wrote:
One song in particular that I like is "We Don't Talk Anymore" by Cliff Richard. I like that you can hear an old Wurlitzer organ in it. The song has that unmistakable disco beat in it.

Cliff Richard-saw him on Mike Douglas or Merv Griffin afternoon tv show-doing "Wired for Sound", also liked (from the radio) "Devil Woman", "(It's so Funny) how we don't talk anymore", and "Dreaming".

Tangerine Dream ("Firestarter") & Vangelis ("Blade Runner")-instrumental film soundtracks.
Bagpipes-have love/hate relationship to that sound, it depends. Like the bagpipe version of "Amazing Grace" in "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (1970's version)-while the pods are being loaded onto ship at port. Not sure about yodeling, but there's some "ululating" vocal work I like, by Bulgarian Women's Chorus/Ensemble.

I like stuff that sounds good to me, even though it might seem embarrassing to admit these.
Such as:
"Scoundrel Days" album by A-ha (no, their big hit "Take on Me" isn't even on that one). Really liked their follow-up/lesser hit, "The Sun Always Shines on tv" (though that's not on this one, either).
Wang Chung, various 80's songs: "I Can Hardly Wait", "To Live and Die in L.A." & "Let's Go".
The Dream Academy: "Edge of Forever" (used in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off") & "Love Parade".
Some songs from Miami Vice soundtracks-esp. Jan Hammer's work (he did music for that groovy Clive Owen 1990's series "Chancer").
George Michael (both "Faith" & "Listen w/o Prejudice vol.1" albums).
Definately a "one-hit-wonder": Living in a Box's "Living in a Box"-catchy tune, nonetheless.
I could go on...

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 1:20 pm

Vangelis and Tangerine Dream are great, though those soundtracks aren't what I usually know them for.

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 2:32 pm

I will admit that i love milli vanilli. I dont care if someone else sang it. It broke my heart when 'rob' took his own life over the scandal. I will still always pair that music with those ghostly blue eyes and those

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 9:26 pm

Embarrassing songs I like:

"Ice Ice Baby" - Vanilla Ice
"MmmBop" - Hanson
"Baby One More Time" - Britney Spears
"Crank That (Soulja Boy) - Soulja Boy Tell 'Em

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 9:34 pm

I used to play the bagpipes.

I can't think of any music that I'm embarrassed to like. I don't think in terms of Bad Taste vs. Good Taste; I think in terms of knowledge of music. The more you know, the "better" music you'll listen to, according to your own taste.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 9:39 pm

Tensho wrote:
Groove Coverage - Moonlight Shadow

My current favorite song. :)

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 10:01 pm

I really like some Elton John songs -> blue eyes, tiny dancer, a guess that's why they call it the blues.

I'm embarrassed because I lot of his songsI find annoying and I really don't like.

azpoetchris
Raven
Raven

16 Mar 2008, 1:28 am

markaudette wrote:
I actually like a lot of disco music. There's something to the rythm and tempo of some disco songs. Although I am not a big fan of Donna Summers or any of her sisters. I know it's real hard to like disco but not like Donna Summer, but hey...

One song in particular that I like is "We Don't Talk Anymore" by Cliff Richard. I like that you can hear an old Wurlitzer organ in it. The song has that unmistakable disco beat in it.

I was just listening to "Heaven Knows", "MacArthur Park" and "Last Dance" the other day.... awesome!! 8)

Other songs I also like:
"Never Can Say Goodbye" (Gloria Gaynor)
"I Just Don't Want To Be Lonely" (Main Ingredient)
"More More More" (Andrea True Connection)
"Staying Alive", "Night Fever", Tragedy", "Love You Inside And Out" and "Spirits Having Flown" (The Bee Gees)

Okay... I may earn a few 'guffaws' for admitting this, but the first concert I ever attended was The Bee Gees in 1979 ("Spirits Having Flown" tour). It was an incredible show!! ! :D

Rush, "Free Will" (1980)

gypsyRN
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2008, 2:09 am

um...this is super embarrassing, but I actually bought myself a Hanson CD. It's NOT mmmbop! But the vocal harmonies are amazing, and I'm a sucker for harmony!

I like bluegrass a lot too, and Appalachian gospel music, even though I'm not religious.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 11:38 pm

Me likes Lesley Gore and ms Streisand 8)