Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2008, 12:03 am

I have very funny recollections of strange cab drivers; usually people who rant.

Nothing so far beat a rather lengthy ride with some preacher guy in like 1999.
The guy started by trying to get me into smalltalking with him. Asked me if I liked "rock" music and warned me that it was all ok with him but that there were limits. I think he started by asking me if I was American because I had spiky hair and shades. 15 minutes later he was rambling about how God most likely placed me in his car for a purpose (to listen to him) and I was wondering if I should just get off-at-the-first-chance-and-while-I-could. At about that time he began warning me about the dangers of homosexuality (I evidently looked strange to him so he warned me just in case) but was soooo worked up his grammar was starting to fall apart and actually said something like "It's in the Bible! . . .the man does it with the man. . . and comes THE WHALE and EATS HIM!! !"

Then not long ago there was one who just talked and talked about himself and how he dealt with life and stuff - really loud voice - wildly munching some morning pastry thing he had on the seat next to him - even offered me some - worked up from the start - I was afraid he'd be violent as he was a rather large brawny guy.
At some point. . .
Him: I'm like the japaneseeeee! y' know?
Me: Ah. . .
Him: I'm like the japanese.
Me: Full throttle, right? (hard to translate)
Him: No. When I have 30 bucks left. . . When I have only 30 bucks left. . . I GO EAT MYSELF A STEAK WITH MASHED POTATOES! *turning around, elbow over seat, gazes at me frantically* KAMIKAZE!

For some reason I have a knack for getting along well with some of these guys; for playing along by asking the occasional question and by contributing with things that are true (I refuse to lie) but that would not necessarily offend them, letting them do the talking. . .
Other recollections are not as cheerful.

I wish I had this knack with everyone. :(

_________

Sometimes I get a tad uptight when I'm making a statement and I let my gaze wander up and to the side in a slow, intense manner. My body language becomes a bit creepy for those seconds I'm trying to make sense of something as I talk. Maybe he noticed a bit of that; not sure how much.

ignisfatuus
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2008, 2:51 am

His response definitely suggests he was offended, but I'm not exactly sure by what. The only thing I can think of is he took it as a racist comment. Otherwise, there is nothing offensive about what you said. I can barely see how it was racist either, if that is what he thought.