Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2008, 12:23 pm

I just finished a book called Oryx and Crake, one of the more recent works of my FORMER favorite writer Margaret Atwood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oryx_and_crake

26 words: a guy with AS has no soul and destroys the world because he thinks that the rest of the human race is worthless compared to autistics.

I think that the stereotype of the cloistered, conniving autistic who wants to take over the world and kill all NTs is just as offensive as the stereotype of the cloistered, conniving Jew who wants to take over the world and kill all gentiles.

End transmission.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2008, 12:41 pm

I read that book a long time ago...I really had no idea that Crake was supposed to be an Aspie.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Mar 2008, 12:50 pm

MissPickwickian wrote:
I just finished a book called Oryx and Crake, one of the more recent works of my FORMER favorite writer Margaret Atwood. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oryx_and_crake 26 words: a guy with AS has no soul and destroys the world because he thinks that the rest of the human race is worthless compared to autistics.
I thought it was a metaphor for the conflict between objectivity and subjectivity in our modern society.

I agree that her writing style has seriously fallen off in recent years, and i haven't read "Oryx", but i thought it sounded more like a doomy gloomy look at the increasing strangle-hold/dominion of science and its delusions of objectivity etc, than any attack on aspergers or autism.

One book by her, "The Blind Assassin", though over-wordy and finally disappointing, was about two sisters , one at least on the autistic spectrum, described with compassion/identification. Correct me if i"m wrong about the "sympathetic treatment".

8)

Last edited by ouinon on 18 Mar 2008, 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2008, 3:23 pm

I never noticed that line... what was the context? Was it said by one of the characters? If so, it might not have been Attwood's opinion at all.

NewportBeachDude
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Mar 2008, 5:35 pm

MissPickwickian wrote:
I just finished a book called Oryx and Crake, one of the more recent works of my FORMER favorite writer Margaret Atwood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oryx_and_crake

26 words: a guy with AS has no soul and destroys the world because he thinks that the rest of the human race is worthless compared to autistics.

I think that the stereotype of the cloistered, conniving autistic who wants to take over the world and kill all NTs is just as offensive as the stereotype of the cloistered, conniving Jew who wants to take over the world and kill all gentiles.

End transmission.

I haven't read this book, but where do you think that stereotype of Aspies comes from? Do you feel Aspies themselvse have anything to do with it?

After reading many threads on WP, the negative Aspie theory you're mentioning is not so far-fetched. Look at this thread at the bottom of my post. It's one about the alliance between Barnes & Noble and Autism Speaks having a special event for Autistic kids. Look at some of the responses from the Aspies on Wrong Planet: "Kill them with fire...makes them dead. Wish they'd die. So-and-so wouldn't have a problem annihilating them."

Even if these comments are in jest and only for fun, maybe people like Atwood are forming opinions and images of Aspies from what she sees, hears, researches and experiences. And, some of that material can come from online. Maybe some of those images are ones that Aspies themselves are putting out in the universe for all to judge, not ones drawn up from a writer's imagination.

I came to this board because I was told that it's a good place to see what life is like for adolescent-to-adult spectrumers. And, it is! Truly. But, what I also saw is that Aspies can carry a lot of hate and vindictiveness of others, particularly NTs and organizations that they don't support. So, they should not get offended or angry when someone writes a fictional character who behaves that way in a book.

Barnes & Noble Thread
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt58923.html

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2008, 5:48 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I read that book a long time ago...I really had no idea that Crake was supposed to be an Aspie.

They never say it outright, but Crake attends a college called Asperger's U and calls Jimmy a "neurotypical".

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2008, 5:58 pm

NewportBeachDude wrote:
I haven't read this book, but where do you think that stereotype of Aspies comes from? Do you feel Aspies themselvse have anything to do with it?

After reading many threads on WP, the negative Aspie theory you're mentioning is not so far-fetched. Look at this thread at the bottom of my post. It's one about the alliance between Barnes & Noble and Autism Speaks having a special event for Autistic kids. Look at some of the responses from the Aspies on Wrong Planet: "Kill them with fire...makes them dead. Wish they'd die. So-and-so wouldn't have a problem annihilating them."

The most extreme people are the loudest: that is a given. Autism Speaks and the Curebie Fanatics screeching at the feral Magneto-wannabes, and 90% of us trying to look inconspicuous in the middle.

All stereotypes contain a grain of truth surrounded by a thick, gummy coating of cruel exaggeration. Aspies can become isolationists, can become wrathful. All groups contain both bad and good people.

NewportBeachDude
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Mar 2008, 6:09 pm

MissPickwickian wrote:
The most extreme people are the loudest: that is a given. Autism Speaks and the Curebie Fanatics screeching at the feral Magneto-wannabes, and 90% of us trying to look inconspicuous in the middle.

All stereotypes contain a grain of truth surrounded by a thick, gummy coating of cruel exaggeration. Aspies can become isolationists, can become wrathful. All groups contain both bad and good people.

Right. And, I respect your reply. But, I also respect the people out there that want a cure or alleviation of their symptoms (therefore, wanting to eradicate the symptoms that cause the disorder). I don't see pro-curbies as extreme or fanatics. I know many people who are this way and they are parents or adults who are very good people. I see people wanting to harm or kill other people for their views as extreme. I see people going to other websites and harrassing parents wanting support as extreme. These people are extreme because their veiws lead them to harmful, atrocious, and dangerous behaviors.

And, the point I was making in my earlier post is that I may not be the only one noticing this. Maybe others (like Atwood) do the research and form their opinions from the behaviors they read about from the very mouths of Aspergians.

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2008, 6:14 pm

NewportBeachDude wrote:
MissPickwickian wrote:

Right. And, I respect your reply. But, I also respect the people out there that want a cure or alleviation of their symptoms (therefore, wanting to eradicate the symptoms that cause the disorder). I don't see pro-curbies as extreme or fanatics. I know many people who are this way and they parents or adults who are very good people. I see people wanting to harm or kill other people for their views as extreme. I see people going to other websites and harrassing parents wanting support as extreme. These people are extreme because their veiws lead them to harmful, atrocious, and dangerous behaviors.

And, the point I was making in my earlier post is that I may not be the only one noticing this. Maybe others (like Atwood) do the research and form their opinions from the behaviors they read about from the very mouths of Aspergians.

I'm not saying all Curebies are fanatics. Most aren't. But some are (THIMEROSOL MENTALS! THE GIRL WITH THE AUTISTIC SISTER WHO KEEPS CALLING ME BRAIN-DAMAGED!).