Famous Autistics/Aspies - more postive images in the media

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

16 Mar 2008, 10:26 pm

Hello,

I know the thread about 'Famous Aspies/Autistcs' has been done many times before, but I'm hoping to put a new angle on it.

There is so much negative publicity about Autism/Asperger's.

Can we counter the negative publicity by getting more stories out there about successful, famous Autistics/Aspies?

The public is obsessed with celebrity. Can we counter the negativity of Autism Speaks by focusing on 'celebrity Aspies' (I hate the term, but I'm thinking about getting the interest of those into celebrity). The focus would need to be on people who have been diagnosed, not those speculated to be Aspie.

Heather from America's Next Top Model was a great positive role model.

Craig Nicholls, lead singer of The Vines was diagnosed with Asperger's by Tony Attwood.

http://www.mushroommusic.com.au/songwriters/songwriter.asp?id=61

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eDWrlDR-Ro&feature=related[/youtube]

Helen

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 2:47 am

Vernon Smith, Nobel Prize-winning economist.

Satoshi Tajiri, creator of Pokemon.

It is uncertain whether Bill Gates has been diagnosed or not; surely by now he has heard that he is speculated to be autistic- the news outlet he owns has even reported it.

Temple Grandin, obviously.

Daniel Tammet

Kim Peek

Matt Savage, musician

Richard Borcherds, Fields Medalist

There are plenty of others as well. I included some classic auties in the list.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 3:56 am

Orwell wrote:

Kim Peek

Kim Peek isn't autistic.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 5:20 am

Stephen Spielberg:

Writer and director of the Jurassic Park movies.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

17 Mar 2008, 6:03 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Stephen Spielberg:

Writer and director of the Jurassic Park movies.

Have they actually been formally diagnosed and stated it publicly?

Isn't Autism Awareness week in April?

Couldn't WP members be flooding media people with messages about famous, successful Aspies / Autistics? Again, the general public is obsessed with celebrity. I believe we need to appeal to this celebrity obsession.

Helen

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 11:58 am

Smelena wrote:

Have they actually been formally diagnosed and stated it publicly?

The only person I know of officially diagnosed with AS is Craig Nicholls, though Gary Numan (not mentioned in this thread until now) has brought up his personal history before and remembers he was almost diagnosed with autism many years ago.

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2008, 1:11 pm

I have it, but I'm only famous in my own mind.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 1:48 pm

David Cronenberg Topic

Many people have never heard of this director of the master chiller horror theatre genre. 8O If you have ever seen History of Violence, Scanners or Videodrome, to name a few of his films, and if you are Aspie, then you may be able to see AS traits in David Cronenberg, Canadian film director and actor. He just had his 65th birthday. :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 1:48 pm

The actress Darryll Hannah is supposed to be autistic, according to the wiki.

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2008, 2:12 pm

Stephen Speilberg, Vernon L. Smith, Bram Cohen, and Satoshi Tajiri, have all been Dx'd. They say that Dan Akroyd has joked that he is an aspie too.

I didn't know about Cronenberg, he's one of my favorite directors.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 2:40 pm

beau99 wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Kim Peek

Kim Peek isn't autistic.

He isn't?

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 2:52 pm

Here's a copy of the letter that I sent to Alex about this, including the interview and facts supporting my point of view:

Quote:
I just can't let this one slip by...I know that Ackroyd said in an interview (partial transcript - Dan Ackroyd - Asperger Syndrome) that he was diagnosed with Asperger's as a 12 year old; however, this is just not possible.

The term Asperger's was not even coined until 1981, by Lorna Wing.
Origin of term "Asperger's Syndrome" - Lorna Wing - 1981 - from article by Tony Attwood

The diagnostic criteria were not developed until 1989.

Ackroyd is less than a month younger than I, at 55 years old, and there was no diagnosis of Asperger's at that point in our lives. He may well self-identify with Asperger's as an adult (though sometimes it's hard to tell when he's joking). Nonetheless, please don't perpetuate the story about him actually being diagnosed at the age of 12. For whatever reason he said that, it's not true. I even feel mocked by him in that interview.

When I first looked this topic up, less than two years ago, there were only a couple of references to it; now the listings seem endless. This is taking on the essence of an urban legend, and it does not dignify the WP site to repeat it.

There must be someone who is upfront and recently diagnosed that you can use as an Aspie exemplar, but Ackroyd is not the one. People take what you put up on the home page as gospel, and this is not factual.

Heck, even the NT interviewer thought that he was joking. He may have been diagnosed with something like childhood schizophrenia, as was often the case at the time, and he may identify with Asperger's, for all I know, but he did not receive a diagnosis of Asperger's as a preteen, and that is a fact, and so calls everything else he said in this interview into question.

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2008, 3:28 pm

YowlingCat wrote:
Here's a copy of the letter that I sent to Alex about this, including the interview and facts supporting my point of view:

Quote:
I just can't let this one slip by...I know that Ackroyd said in an interview (partial transcript - Dan Ackroyd - Asperger Syndrome) that he was diagnosed with Asperger's as a 12 year old; however, this is just not possible.

The term Asperger's was not even coined until 1981, by Lorna Wing.
Origin of term "Asperger's Syndrome" - Lorna Wing - 1981 - from article by Tony Attwood

The diagnostic criteria were not developed until 1989.

Ackroyd is less than a month younger than I, at 55 years old, and there was no diagnosis of Asperger's at that point in our lives. He may well self-identify with Asperger's as an adult (though sometimes it's hard to tell when he's joking). Nonetheless, please don't perpetuate the story about him actually being diagnosed at the age of 12. For whatever reason he said that, it's not true. I even feel mocked by him in that interview.

When I first looked this topic up, less than two years ago, there were only a couple of references to it; now the listings seem endless. This is taking on the essence of an urban legend, and it does not dignify the WP site to repeat it.

There must be someone who is upfront and recently diagnosed that you can use as an Aspie exemplar, but Ackroyd is not the one. People take what you put up on the home page as gospel, and this is not factual.

Heck, even the NT interviewer thought that he was joking. He may have been diagnosed with something like childhood schizophrenia, as was often the case at the time, and he may identify with Asperger's, for all I know, but he did not receive a diagnosis of Asperger's as a preteen, and that is a fact, and so calls everything else he said in this interview into question.

Stating is as if he were in fact an aspie and not simply joking about it would be incorrect. I agree.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 3:48 pm

I read in a business magazine that Bill Gates of Microsoft has Asperger's Syndrome. However, at his age of 52 years old, AS
was not recognized when he was born in 1954. In the magazine article, Bill Gates acknowledged that he rocks when he feels stressed...among other traits of Asperger's Syndrome.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 4:55 pm

Orwell wrote:
beau99 wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Kim Peek

Kim Peek isn't autistic.

He isn't?

Nope.

He is merely a savant and nothing more. It was believed he was autistic for a long time, but his diagnosis got changed.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2008, 5:05 pm

Zsazsa wrote:
I read in a business magazine that Bill Gates of Microsoft has Asperger's Syndrome. However, at his age of 52 years old, AS
was not recognized when he was born in 1954. In the magazine article, Bill Gates acknowledged that he rocks when he feels stressed...among other traits of Asperger's Syndrome.

What I am about to say is totally unreliable, but I have heard that Bill Gates has told at least of his employees that he considers himself to have Aspergers. That was posted on another Aspie site by the sister of the employee.