Are People with Asperger Syndrome Creative?

Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 12:15 am

I used to be creative until people made fun of it. Now I'm not at all.

AndersTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 7:51 am

Why don't you check out my artwork and tell me if I am creative or not? :wink:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postxf59591-0-195.html I also have a long list of stories in my head that I just haven't had time to write down yet, but I will someday :D

Soarhead
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Mar 2008, 11:52 am

Many people with Asperger's can be creative. I happen not to be. But I've recently been reading a book called "Through the Eyes of Aliens" by Jasmine Lee O'Neill. She says she is an autistic mute but she also paints and writes poetry. She puts her creativity down to Asperger's.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 5:27 pm

Another creative Aspie here. I love writing stories and imagining worlds in my mind. If you know German, I can send you my story-in-progress :)

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

MJIthewriter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Mar 2008, 5:41 pm

Do autistics have an imagination: Oh Yeah!

As quoted on my art bio:
"For those who believe autistic people don't have an imagination, I beg to differ..."

Who knows, many autistics may have a better imagination than most people, but are viewed as not having one because our logic may not follow what NT's can understand? Just a random thought.

BTW my avatar is one of my favorite characters. His name is Benly and he serves as a soldier for the colony's army. The creatures are part insect and part person. They call themselves Ant Folk. It's a project I started in the fall of 1994 and been developing off of that.

I've got several written rough drafts on my computer of my characters.

Some samples of my work:
http://thedb.com/antfolk

Last edited by MJIthewriter on 19 Mar 2008, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 6:16 pm

I'd say it depends on the interests of the individual. If an autistic person has interests that require large amounts of creativity, the person becomes very creative to meet those needs. If a person has interests that require no creativity, then their creativity never develops.

As a result, people on the autistic spectrum will either be very creative, or not creative at all. Someone with insufficient experience in the field could easily make the mistake of assuming all autistic people are creative, or all autistic people are uncreative.

Wistaria
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Mar 2008, 8:31 pm

The_Cucumber wrote:
I'd say it depends on the interests of the individual. If an autistic person has interests that require large amounts of creativity, the person becomes very creative to meet those needs. If a person has interests that require no creativity, then their creativity never develops.

As a result, people on the autistic spectrum will either be very creative, or not creative at all. Someone with insufficient experience in the field could easily make the mistake of assuming all autistic people are creative, or all autistic people are uncreative.

I feel this is very true. I took up hobbies of drawing and writing so I could find where my creativity/talent lies, but because I was already too old when I started, I'd never developed any creativity... I deeply regret not starting sooner. People frequently shame me about it, including loved ones.

Puck_The_Trickster
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Mar 2008, 8:34 pm

I am pretty creative methinks.

I am currently working on a Novel I plan to get published once I finish, I would go into the details but I would prefer not to bore you people.

I draw a little bit too, but I am still learning, and am not that good.

Batz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2008, 3:41 pm

People say I'm always reenacting everything I see. They also say that I'm always like i am from another world, so I was wondering whether i was creative and took a right brain left brain test. I answered honestly, and the test said that I was more right brain dominant. Guess that means I am creative after all. :D

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2008, 4:07 pm

I would be lost without my ability to be creative.

Creativity and imagination is my escape when the world is too hectic or when I'm weary and run-down and need to find a safe place within my comfort zone.

I write, I draw, I roleplay online, I discuss characters and scenarios in great deal... Of course, it tends to be limited to my obsessions, although I am capable of writing creatively about other things - though I have no wish to.

If anything, I have an overactive imagination and can become TOO absorbed in fantasy and fiction, to the point of where I'm thinking and 'creating' all the time... when my mind should be on other things.

jamescampbell
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2008, 7:50 pm

i use my imagination and photographic memory to an excess.