Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 1:35 am

I find that if I drink, one of three things happen.

1) I relax a little bit, feel better, and can think a little clearer because I am not so stressed and psyched out.

2) If I am anger at the time, I can get really angry, not violet, but still really upset about things I think about.

3) I can get overly anxious, usually because I over do it, and cannot fall asleep as a result.

How does drinking impact you?

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 2:02 am

I took drinking to it's furthest limit possible, without dying. Yes, it was great in the beginning, but it's only self-medication and will progress to alcoholism. At my peak, I was drinking 1 fifth of 100 proof whiskey, and 1/2 + case of beer, every day. It was very expensive and eventually, I found my liver actually starting to hurt, and I was vomiting blood every day. Age 27, it was either quit or die. I did quit, but that's another story.

My point, if you feel the need to modify your state of mind, try experimenting with some prescription meds. They can be quite helpful/pleasant, and are less likely to destroy your life. Trust me, you want to keep alcohol use to a minimum. I'm just speaking from experience. I used to think it was harmless too. OK, I'm done preaching now.

Those who know, don't speak.

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 3:22 am

jawbrodt, there is a strong genetic component to alcoholism. What applies to you doesn't necessarily apply to other people. There was a time when I was willing myself to become an alcoholic because I thought that would lower people's expectations of me, and I couldn't do it - I just didn't have it in me. My experience of alcohol has almost always been a positive one: I get a rush of euphoria from just one or two glasses, which I can then sustain for three or four hours with a third glass. If I drink any more, I fall asleep.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 3:35 am

Icheb wrote:
jawbrodt, there is a strong genetic component to alcoholism. What applies to you doesn't necessarily apply to other people. There was a time when I was willing myself to become an alcoholic because I thought that would lower people's expectations of me, and I couldn't do it - I just didn't have it in me. My experience of alcohol has almost always been a positive one: I get a rush of euphoria from just one or two glasses, which I can then sustain for three or four hours with a third glass. If I drink any more, I fall asleep.

I agree. I just wanted to present a worst case scenario.

Those who know, don't speak.

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 3:51 am

My Dr told me I should have no more than a few a week. I find if I have more than a few in a night it ends up making my anxiety worse. I guess partly cause you don't sleep properly. But I smoke like a train. :(

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 4:13 am

Alcohol use to be my friend, at times the only one. But since being diagnosed have not needed that friend and so no longer drink alcohol or feel the need. At first it was difficult, but now my life is 100s times better, highly recommend not doing.
I agree there is a strong genetic component to alcoholism and my mother was a alcoholic, or was she! As people on the spectrum especially if have ocd can take most things to excess, be it drink or food, or whatever else...

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 4:32 am

Drinking opens my mind, and tends to make me better in terms of creativity and humor. I'm also more social and I actually have full emotions.

Dracula
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Mar 2008, 5:12 am

Being drunk turns me into an outgoing, assertive NT.

- D

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Mar 2008, 5:24 am

I can be more social but if I overdo it I do/say stupid things and then regret that night when I wake up, even if I didnt do anything really that regrettable.

So I just dont drink much anymore, I just dont enjoy it like I used to.

Binarycow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Mar 2008, 5:27 am

I don't drink for fear of becoming an alcoholic.

I'm a very addictive person.... I get addicted to nearly anything. I don't want to be addicted to alcohol.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

18 Mar 2008, 8:40 am

Quite adversely, I used to have blackouts, act like a total jerk. Actually it did help me get laid and not because the women were too drunk to know better, but because there was a point where I was buzzed , but still lucid enough to relax my inhibitions and not worrying about "what if's". Overall, though the bad effects were out weighing the good by 10X or more. I have not had any alcohol
for 12 years+. There are a lot of alcoholics and druggers in my family.

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Mar 2008, 11:49 am

i keep my drinking down to once a month... one hard drink (a grateful dead = long island iced tea, switch the cola for chambord) I use this night to go dancing, or karaoke.

i will say that if i have to go to family functions, i have a couple of glasses of wine and it turns me into a talkative, relaxed person in front of family.

but the alcohol is a crutch and i know it, i brought it up in counseling, we are working on it.

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 12:04 pm

"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." -Homer Simpson

Mmm, alcohol. The only thing that makes me the least bit socially outgoing. A medium through which to pass the dark times. I've been hittin' that medium quite a lot lately.

Interesting fact: 95% of posts I've made here, I was drunk. Right now? I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Worried(when I'm sober anyway.) Leaning on a crutch, feeling far behind, I can't walk without it.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 12:13 pm

This is coming from an alcoholic. I've been sober for a year now and it hasn't been easy. I use to use to cope with my lack of social skills. It got progressively worse withing a year, I started getting violent and having black-outs. I always told myself I wouldn't do it again, but I guess I had no control over it. I tried to drink in moderation and couldn't. Once I'd start, I couldn't stop. I'd be clean for a week or 3 months and then jump back in the wagon. It would get worse. I've had to go to outpatient and inpatient rehab because of this. I was in outpatient for 2 years and in between messing my sobriety up. I always thought I could get away with just one drink and then BAM, I got into so much trouble. It was in and out of hospitals. I know I have ppl in my family that have a history of alcoholism. I have often wondered if Aspergers though played a part in it. I reacted badly to alcohol, it wasn't a slow process. That's my danger and it's no longer in my control. I just can't touch alcohol, once I start I just cannot stop myself. Good topic. I'm still coping with being sober and it's not easy to have aspergers along with this disease.

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 12:16 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
This is coming from an alcoholic. I've been sober for a year now and it hasn't been easy. I use to use to cope with my lack of social skills. It got progressively worse withing a year, I started getting violent and having black-outs. I always told myself I wouldn't do it again, but I guess I had no control over it. I tried to drink in moderation and couldn't. Once I'd start, I couldn't stop. I'd be clean for a week or 3 months and then jump back in the wagon. It would get worse. I've had to go to outpatient and inpatient rehab because of this. I was in outpatient for 2 years and in between messing my sobriety up. I always thought I could get away with just one drink and then BAM, I got into so much trouble. It was in and out of hospitals. I know I have ppl in my family that have a history of alcoholism. I have often wondered if Aspergers though played a part in it. I reacted badly to alcohol, it wasn't a slow process. That's my danger and it's no longer in my control. I just can't touch alcohol, once I start I just cannot stop myself. Good topic. I'm still coping with being sober and it's not easy to have aspergers along with this disease.

Weed is a good alternative, y'know. :wink: Keeps me from drinking, but if only it were as convenient to acquire...

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 12:33 pm

Yeah, I was with a guy that did some very heavy weed. I had a bad reaction to it though. I'm on antideppresents. I think that might have something to do with it.