Do you have a lot of 'checks' you have to do?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

loske
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Mar 2008, 8:00 pm

I have always had routines and "checks", but lately theyre getting out of hand. I moved to a bigger house about 6 moths ago and since then I'm struggling with the number of things that need to be checked (electrics unplugged, doors locked etc.) before I can leave the house or go to bed. It's driving me nuts!

My partner and I joke about it alot, so I'm not really upset about it as such... Its just the way I am... But geeez its now taking like 20minutes to get out of the house and the things I have to check are getting ridiculous!

Obviously OCD is what is going on, but how many of you guys share this and any ideas to get it back into control?

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 8:04 pm

I check on my cats all the time to see that they are okay.

MorningGlory
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Mar 2008, 11:48 pm

I set my alarm at night, and recheck it NUMEROUS times! I hate that, I can wake up out of a dead sleep and have the compulsion to check it!

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 12:31 am

"OH, just a minute.... one more thing!"

That used to drive my former wife CRAZY MAD!
She always threatened to leave without me no matter where we were going... across town, to the store, on vacation.

When I'm leaving on a trip... I'm bad.

I have to check the lights, light timers, water faucets, heaters, door locks, I have to walk back into my bedroom to make sure I didn't 'forget' anything, the living room... mostly I go to a room and stand there in the doorway or the middle of the room and quietly survey every inch to make sure I am not missing something important. I'm hoping I'll see something that reminds me of something I forgot, but didn't realize any other way. :roll:

When I'm leaving somewhere like a locker room at the school gym, work, a hotel room, etc. I have to go back into that place and have 'one last look' to make sure I didn't leave anything behind.
At school after P.E. and my shower, I pack up to leave, then look over to the showers to make sure I didn't forget my towel or brush even though I know they are in my bag, then open up my locker again to make sure it's empty!

In hotel rooms or when visiting someone's house for the night... I strip the beds just to make sure I haven't accidentally dropped something in the sheets, or under the bed. I check the nightstands to make sure I didn't put anything in the drawers and forgot about it, I have to walk back into the bathroom and scan the area, on & on & on... ad nauseum!

Funny thing... I have never thought of my behavior as OCD-ish.
I just knew it was one of my little quirks that other people really hated.

There are times I do wish I could just grab my stuff and leave... the first time!