Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

tomadao
Raven
Raven

19 Mar 2008, 8:54 am

The following "definition" was published in the SAÚDE magazine, a well-known Brazilian medical publication (ed. 197, feb 2000).

"What is autism?

It's a psychiatric disorder. The autistic child loses contact with the exterior world. The autistic is born with normal physical functioning, but doesn't develop bonds of affection with people. By 3 months, doesn't smile at the mother when she looks at him, a normal reaction in that age. Around 8 months, a baby pisses off if he is picked up by a stranger. The autistic doesn't react, as if all people were equal. Without bonds of affection, he doesn't mimic other people's sounds, therefore he doesn't learn to speak. Nor does he learn to read or write. Generally, there is a low development of the senses. As he ignores what is around him, the autistic may go walk and bang against a wall. Also, he doesn't get frightened by horns. He lives locked up in himself. For Dr. xxxxxxxxx, a ex-autistic doesn't exist. But that's controversial, and some doctors believe in a cure for those individuals."

The "definition" is completed with a shot from RainMan.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 9:11 am

It's a load of rubbish,they could have at least copied the AD criteria and made it look like they knew what they were on about a bit.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 9:46 am

That's a very stupid definition. I hate people who write stuff, like that.

hitormist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Mar 2008, 9:56 am

What is wrong with the definition? It looks acurrate to me! (OK that was a joke :wink: )

To start with I wondered if it was just a case of mistranslation, but by the end it is ovbiously not, and is just a case of ignorance. It may be representative of one person with autism that the doctor saw as no doubt these symtoms are possible(and so could you argue that the definition is correct w.r.t. this person?!?)

Of course autism doesn't work like that, and cases like this stigmatise it further, especially in countries where I presume they are not at the forefront of medical research/progresses. Articles like that help nobody, especially those in Brazil with an ASD, but as yet are oblivious to why they are so different.

Khalaris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Mar 2008, 10:00 am

That must be the most stupid definition of autism I've ever read. It's a shame that there are people who actually believe this stuff.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 10:08 am

Khalaris wrote:
That must be the most stupid definition of autism I've ever read. It's a shame that there are people who actually believe this stuff.

Yeah...like the idiot girls that I used to work with, in the late 90s.

tomadao
Raven
Raven

19 Mar 2008, 10:16 am

hitormist wrote:
To start with I wondered if it was just a case of mistranslation, but by the end it is ovbiously not, and is just a case of ignorance.

I made the translation. In Portuguese, it's just this bulls**t.

Lurv
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Mar 2008, 10:52 am

This thing almost made me laugh. "Also, he doesn't get frightened by horns." Oh noes! Haha.

Bozewani
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2008, 3:51 pm

It reminds me of how European colonizers used to characterize Africans, it's awful and stereotypical.

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 5:04 pm

This sounds like an extremely specific case of severe autism. The article fails to explain that autism contains a huge spectrum of functioning levels from the case cited in the article, to cases like me where no one notices I am not Nerotypical until I am 16.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Mar 2008, 5:06 pm

Unfortunately this is the sort of description that Autism Speaks and other such organizations use when spewing their propaganda.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 5:07 pm

wow.

thats just sad.-_-

tomadao
Raven
Raven

19 Mar 2008, 6:02 pm

In Brazil, there is a number of "non-lucrative" organizations (AMA, APAE, etc) which keep spreading these very same stereotyped concepts about autism. Very low-functioning autism is quite rare, about 5% of autistics, but almost all people who have ever heard of autism think that autistic people don't even speak right. These organizations would do a big deal more valuable job if they paid attention to the medium and high-functioning autistics, too. While they don't do that, I don't give them a cent.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 6:11 pm

tomadao wrote:
The following "definition" was published in the SAÚDE magazine, a well-known Brazilian medical publication (ed. 197, feb 2000).

"What is autism?

It's a psychiatric disorder. The autistic child loses contact with the exterior world. The autistic is born with normal physical functioning, but doesn't develop bonds of affection with people. By 3 months, doesn't smile at the mother when she looks at him, a normal reaction in that age. Around 8 months, a baby pisses off if he is picked up by a stranger. The autistic doesn't react, as if all people were equal. Without bonds of affection, he doesn't mimic other people's sounds, therefore he doesn't learn to speak. Nor does he learn to read or write. Generally, there is a low development of the senses. As he ignores what is around him, the autistic may go walk and bang against a wall. Also, he doesn't get frightened by horns. He lives locked up in himself. For Dr. xxxxxxxxx, a ex-autistic doesn't exist. But that's controversial, and some doctors believe in a cure for those individuals."

The "definition" is completed with a shot from RainMan.

What the heck! There is no specific time! It's a sydrome for goodness sakes!! !
This is so ridiculous!! !

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 6:20 pm

They did a good job of describing what autism is NOT! Too bad they claim to teach what it is.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 6:22 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
They did a good job of describing what autism is NOT! Too bad they claim to teach what it is.
:D This should be in MadTV or one of those joke shows.