Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

acousticvalley
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Oct 2005, 5:31 pm

Last edited by acousticvalley on 09 Nov 2005, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2005, 6:00 pm

No, I have always loved learning. But I can appreciate a certain nonconformity there would be in refusing to learn anything new. That I can admire. Sometimes, that is the root of what many great movements against "accepted ideas" have been about.

Usually it just ends up creating different ideas instead.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

ozymandias
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2005, 6:06 pm

No. I have always loved learning something new. There are certain things that I do block off from and those are usually the kinds of things I find either boooooooorrriiiing, like financial stuff or higher math.

Peace

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2005, 6:09 pm

It depends on what I'm learining....I mean school (or atleast some subjects)is boring as hell to me.But stufdf such as learning new languages have lawys been amazing to me.I learned Elvish in a month. ^_^
I even invented a language.
-SpaceCase :D

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2005, 8:01 pm

yes.

Although I am nosy, I do not like to learn what people think of me.

They say ignorance is bliss.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2005, 9:02 pm

I have never stopped wanting to learn something although I have fought against education. In fact, I believe in this quote by Mark Twain:

Quote:
Never let your schooling get in the way of your education

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2005, 1:05 am

I don't take a warped pleasure in it, but I do obstinately block certain ideas from my brain. It's a necessary evil. There is far more information in the world to take in than could possibly fit into a lifetime. Sometimes you have to cut off the input of new information in order to be able to process the old info well enough to act. There are times when new info can be downright harmful.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2005, 1:13 am

I never liked learning spelling or even writing just don't like it much.

But hear I am spelling and writing.

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2005, 1:14 am

I do tend to have an aversion towards learning at times. Sometimes I just like to be content with what I know, and give my brain a rest. And I certainly don't like being forced to learn things.

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2005, 5:03 am

Yes. Whenever I'm eating dinner and my mum and sisters start talking about women's bodily functions.

ozymandias
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2005, 7:41 am

Sanityisoverrated wrote:
Yes. Whenever I'm eating dinner and my mum and sisters start talking about women's bodily functions.

That reminds me of an old medical joke, "You know your a Nurse (or Doctor), when you can discuss death and dismemberment over a gourmet meal."

As for the Mark Twain quote, That is so true!! !! !!

Peace

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2005, 4:49 pm

ozymandias wrote:
That reminds me of an old medical joke, "You know your a Nurse (or Doctor), when you can discuss death and dismemberment over a gourmet meal."

My great-grandmother was a nurse who would often assist in surgeries at the hospital where she worked. My mother tells of the many miserable dinners she had to sit there and listen to her grandmother describe the various operations of the day.

My mother said that her grandmother once told her (because once upon a time my mother wanted to be a nurse) that if she could eat her lunch with one hand and clean up vomit with the other, she would make a wonderful nurse.

:vomitty face:

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

ozymandias
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2005, 5:42 pm

Sophist wrote:
ozymandias wrote:

My great-grandmother was a nurse who would often assist in surgeries at the hospital where she worked. My mother tells of the many miserable dinners she had to sit there and listen to her grandmother describe the various operations of the day.

My mother said that her grandmother once told her (because once upon a time my mother wanted to be a nurse) that if she could eat her lunch with one hand and clean up vomit with the other, she would make a wonderful nurse.

:vomitty face:

:lol: That is so true! :lol: My daughter wants to be a veterinarian and one of my goals is to have her volunteer at the local veterinary hospital. (She's 13 y/o) It's to see for herself if she can stomach the not-so-cute part of animal care. She does horseriding lessons and is fully aware of horse digestive end products. Within the year she will definitely be volunteering at the local "NO-KILL" animal shelter and we will see how she does with cleaning dog and cat poop.

Peace

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2005, 11:01 pm

One of my personal favourite quotes:

The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something. That's the only thing that never fails. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honour trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for it then - to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting. Learning is the only thing for you. Look what a lot of things there are to learn.