Ladies: How important is it to you that a man be confident?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ladies: How important is it to you that a man be confident?
Very 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Somewhat 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
Not very 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
Not at all 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
Just want to see results 62%  62%  [ 28 ]
Total votes : 45

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 10:20 pm

Complex wrote:

This is an interesting point, and I could probably use some guidance in a very limited sense.
When it comes to going out to dinner, like a lot of other guys I have 7 or 8 places that I like. To be fair, and to deviate from routine, I always ask my wife "where would you like to go?" She often states that she dislikes my penchant for routine when it comes to dining and wants to try new places. OK, so I ask her where she would like to go. When I do ask, she ALWAYS says " I don't know, where do you want to go?" This really confuses me.
However, when I do state, "I want to go for a burger at the Hamlin Pub" or "I want to go to Mr. B's" she shoots down my ideas until we get down to where she ultimately wants to go. Is this more a matter of process over results (i.e., she likes it when I initiate the decision process, however, she still wants to control the outcome)? Or perhaps some other misunderstanding? Whilst a very minor issue, I would truly like to just go to dinner somewhere without a weekly decision battle. I don't mind going to different places, but when I specifically want to go to one of my favorite haunts, she tells me I'm limited, when I defer to her, she doesn't want to choose. Not really a big deal, but something I'm curious about nonetheless...

Heh, that sounds exactly like an argument my cousin has with his wife. The problem is that she wants you to be adventuresome for her... I think. She wants to try new things, but doesn't have the gumption to pick out something new. So she relinquishes this task to you... but is a little disappointed whenever you pick one of your standbys... Since you just want to go get something to eat... at someplace reliable.

I found it quite funny when it happened to my cousin. It almost became a battle or something, my cousin is very practical... he just wanted something to eat. His wife was getting bored of the usual... but didn't want to pick out anything. So they would just butt heads...

There are only so many places you can go out to eat at in a given area...

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 10:32 pm

gwenevyn wrote:
I think I was too specific. Basically the idea that I'm trying to convey is that I think being a weenie is unattractive. This was just the first example that occurred to me. There's a noticeable difference in attitude between a man who ignores a challenge because the challenge is beneath him (or irrelevant to his interests), and a man who ignores a challenge because he's scared of losing.

Do you have an example of one of these 'challenges' gwen?

I'm not one to really put up a competitive challenge... except in perhaps eating...

But I'm not one to back down on moral principles and such things.

Of course there is the whole issue of knowing that a challenge is offered in the first place...

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

petal
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Mar 2008, 1:21 am

Not at all. I think it's kind of cute when guys are shy, and usually the shy ones are a lot more in depth than the overly confident ones. Also, it takes a lot longer to get to know the shy guy, which keeps everything interesting

yesplease
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 2:03 am

gwenevyn wrote:
There's a noticeable difference in attitude between a man who ignores a challenge because the challenge is beneath him (or irrelevant to his interests)
How is something beneath someone a challenge?

Dracula
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Mar 2008, 2:37 am

Asking women what they're attracted to is plain silly.

- D