Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 11:19 am

Who likes outdoor activities? (camping, hiking, etc.)

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Glencannon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Mar 2008, 11:29 am

I like skiing, but I hate going with a group. I'd much rather go by myself, the solitude as you swoosh up and down the mountain combined with the physical beauty is perfect for self-introspection. Plus I'm not very coordinated so people who go with me end up waiting for me to pick myself up and I hate it when people have to wait for me.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 11:31 am

I've never been skiing, but would like to one of these days.

Tensho
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Mar 2008, 11:36 am

I would like to be outdoors.. There so much to explore but I just wish there wasnt so many people.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 12:01 pm

I love rock climbing outside, but I'm usually not one for going outside much. I went skiing once and it was fun, if a bit sunny and complicated as I was held back by school teachers for being the supposed slowest learner. Lastly, I like riding the bike too, but I'm not very good at it unless it's acceptable to run rampage and drive like an utter manic without care for life and death.

Glencannon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Mar 2008, 12:06 pm

Sora wrote:
I love rock climbing outside, but I'm usually not one for going outside much. I went skiing once and it was fun, if a bit sunny and complicated as I was held back by school teachers for being the supposed slowest learner. Lastly, I like riding the bike too, but I'm not very good at it unless it's acceptable to run rampage and drive like an utter manic without care for life and death.

Yeah on a sunny day skiing can really kill your eyes, heck even on cloudy days all that whiteness can overload you. I have a nice pair of polarized sky goggles that are good and dark. I don't think I could ski without them.

Last edited by Glencannon on 21 Mar 2008, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2008, 2:37 pm

My favorite hobbies. If I don't get regular doses of camping, hiking, climbing, trail running, canoeing, whatever... during the summer, I get very restless (in terms of wanting to go somewhere and do something). In the winter, I enjoy camping, hiking and skiing (XC and alpine).

KFleshman
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

Location: Oregon (I'd mention where, but you wouldn't know where it was)

21 Mar 2008, 2:55 pm

Sometimes I like just sitting outside, listening, and watching all of the wildlife. (Which conveniently isn't a long travel, since I live in the middle of a forest).

On an unrelated note... Tim_Tex, how come it says in your profile that you've been in Texas since the future?

merrymadscientist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 3:44 pm

I love walking in the mountains. I got confident at doing it with a couple of friends. Since they decided they didnt like me any more I have been going alone and finding that sometimes I enjoy it even more. In the summer I am going to walk the GR20 in Corsica on my own (well, there are plenty of people that walk it, but I wont have to interact with them if I dont want to), which is a 2 week walk, camping every night at refuges. I cant wait. I read over and over the books I have about it, every little detail of the route interests me at the moment.
I went skiing today, but I am not very good at it (It was my 8th day of skiing). I am too scared of getting hurt to go fast meaning it is very hard on my knees and feet. I think I like it in theory more than in practise. Id rather walk.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 4:03 pm

Glencannon wrote:
Sora wrote:

Yeah on a sunny day skiing can really kill your eyes, heck even on cloudy days all that whiteness can overload you. I have a nice pair of polarized sky goggles that are good and dark. I don't think I could sky without them.

I felt like that all week when I had to go on a skiing trip. I had glasses back then and no goggles though I'm extra sensitive to light. Even when I could see, it was impossible to take in the area without observing it prior to that.

Despite this, I'd love to have another ski trip, best with an autism-friendly group.

merrymadscientist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 4:07 pm

I wear goggles when skiing and it is fine. I need them even when eating my lunch outside though or walking around the ski village. Apart from today (when I went alone) the last time I went with a group from work. They lost me straight away (they were good and I was slow) and they were so apologetic afterwards and really seemed to think I couldnt have enjoyed it, but I had a great day on my own, going at my own pace. I would like it better if only the hills werent so steep!

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 4:18 pm

I like the outdoors, too.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Mar 2008, 4:19 pm

I enjoy camping and hiking. I know some basic wilderness survival, and would do very well in the temperate forrests I have grown up around. This summer I will be climbing the tallest mountain in NY.

silentchaos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2008, 4:25 pm

I love hiking,backpacking,camping,canoeing,kayaking,and just wandering off into the middle of nowhere as often as possible. Most of the time i go alone since i don't know anyone else that enjoys that type of activity and it is very relaxing.

MJIthewriter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2008, 5:54 pm

I enjoy the outdoors, except for winter and bad weather.
Although thunderstorms get me all wound up and hyper. If there's hail, I'm out there trying to catch it.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 5:55 pm

MJIthewriter wrote:
I enjoy the outdoors, except for winter and bad weather.
Although thunderstorms get me all wound up and hyper. If there's hail, I'm out there trying to catch it.

Same here.