Aspies Bashing NT? Are you for it or against it?

Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Do you hate NT?
Yes 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
No. 94%  94%  [ 58 ]
Total votes : 62

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

22 Mar 2008, 12:22 am

Against it.

I can understand being mad at someone who has bullied you in the past...but to say that a whole group of people are bad is just stupid.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 1:07 am

I am against it. There is nothing to gain except making yourself look like a jerk off.

Rowen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Mar 2008, 1:08 am

shadexiii wrote:
Rowen wrote:
NO WE ARE NOT THE SAME.

No two people are, regardless of AS or NT.

We are all human beings. So, yes, in that sense we are the same.

Yes I realize that we are all humans. But we ARE different as our brains don't work the same way. They do not understand how we think and we don't understand how they think. I'm not bashing them (heaven forbid) 8O .

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 2:19 am

I first heard the term "Neurotypical" from another "neurotypical" who was derogatorily calling someone else a "neurotypical"...(i have told this story before)...it was before I had ever heard of AS.....now I sometimes sometimes whether that ex-boyfriend of mine was acutally an NT at all....we were polar opposites....he was tidy....I was messy...we would have wars of symmetry vs. assymetry and whatnot...we got along realy well and remained friends for years.
Unless he was being sarcastic, he was the first person to agree with me when I told him I suspected i might have AS.

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 2:23 am

I'm against it, why bash on normal people just living there lives?

Joeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2008, 4:54 am

Against.
I don't care for any kind of supremacism, or bashings.

It only hurts their own cause, too. They show that they only mirror the misunderstanding and blindness, the ignorance and disrespect, the view of superiority, that they feel is present in all NTs.
I just don't have any respect for taking out anger on innocents.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

22 Mar 2008, 5:07 am

I can understand people venting their spleen about other people/situations. When it goes from venting to saying "we are superior because we don' t fit in", I have to disagree.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 6:55 am

I don't have a problem wid NTs infact they is good n bad in NTs aswell as ppl on da spectrum.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 7:05 am

Rowen wrote:
shadexiii wrote:
Rowen wrote:
NO WE ARE NOT THE SAME.

No two people are, regardless of AS or NT.

We are all human beings. So, yes, in that sense we are the same.

Yes I realize that we are all humans. But we ARE different as our brains don't work the same way. They do not understand how we think and we don't understand how they think. I'm not bashing them (heaven forbid) 8O .

We're all different, and some of us are uniquely different, or at least I used to think so until I met all you guys.

- Emerson

mikegee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2008, 8:13 am

lastcrazyhorn wrote:
You probably don't like being generalized about, right? Well, to turn around and to do it to another group of people different from yourself is just hypocritical. And biased. And bigoted. etc etc etc

i agree one infinity %

there WAS a time that i didn't agree; i was quite the militant aspie. but then i realized i was playing their game, and felt like a big douche for caving in and acting childish. to bash people for being different is to open oneself up for critisizm. so then it becomes one big angry bashfest. bad philosophy, people...

i am forever a dreamer. i believe one day both sides, nt and aspie, will learn to understand each other and work together. we need each other. we both have skills and talents. we benefit from working together. think about it...

of course, there will always be bullies on both sides. yes, aspie bullyism, there, i said it. bullyism is based on egotism of oneself. (i know bullyism is not yet a word, i just invented it ok?) don't play that game, it's counter productive. it's a form of ignorance and short sightedness. a huge part of dealing with being an aspie is not only dealing with one's own differences, but also accepting the differences of others, and educating nts about being an aspie. most friends and associates i've informed about my aspiness, they are interested and empathetic, and the really smart ones our intrigued and make extra efforts to understand and this is a beautiful thing.

before getting all frustrated and upset because the majority of the world isnt like you, stop for a minute and ask yourself what you really want out of life... MORE barriers and divisions? or less.

mike
myspace.com/mikegeorgemusic

ghostofzoelund
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2008, 8:25 am

I voted no, but I think it's okay to vent about NT's sometimes, as long as you don't get it in your head that they're all the same, anymore than we are. Everyone in my life is NT, and they're all awesome people.

But I do get frustrated sometimes that NT's tend to be so much more narrow-minded and conformist than we are, yet we're expected to be more like them? It's just weird. Most of the suffering I've been through isn't because of AS, it's dealing with NT's and all their weird issues and fear/prejudice/rejection of things they don't understand, not just AS, it seems to be a knee-jerk reaction to anything outside their personal experience (generalizing, I know, sorry).

It's not like they can help how they are, anymore than we can, but still, sometimes I have to vent, if just to remind myself that I'm not the one with the problem...

mikegee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2008, 8:47 am

ghostofzoelund wrote:
I voted no, but I think it's okay to vent about NT's sometimes, as long as you don't get it in your head that they're all the same, anymore than we are. Everyone in my life is NT, and they're all awesome people.

But I do get frustrated sometimes that NT's tend to be so much more narrow-minded and conformist than we are, yet we're expected to be more like them? It's just weird. Most of the suffering I've been through isn't because of AS, it's dealing with NT's and all their weird issues and fear/prejudice/rejection of things they don't understand, not just AS, it seems to be a knee-jerk reaction to anything outside their personal experience (generalizing, I know, sorry).

It's not like they can help how they are, anymore than we can, but still, sometimes I have to vent, if just to remind myself that I'm not the one with the problem...

i understand your frustration; i been there too, in fact, everyday; i'm there... but what used to frustrate me, now, i find the same things fascinating. maybe because im an amateur sociologist and anthropologist. we all have our hobbies, these are a couple of mine ;)

maybe a good way of looking at it isn't "us" and "them" we are different for very exacting biological reasons, ya know? we are and became who we are (aspies and NTs alike) based on our genetic code, and of course, due to environmental conditioning. NTs are just very very environmentally conditioned. is that there fault? i would say not. could they truly empathize with our condition. i would say no.

but you bring up a great point; to quote you:

Most of the suffering I've been through isn't because of AS, it's dealing with NT's and all their weird issues and fear/prejudice/rejection of things they don't understand, not just AS, it seems to be a knee-jerk reaction to anything outside their personal experience (generalizing, I know, sorry).

couldn't NTs say the very same thing about aspies? i think so. it's ignorance and lack of understanding each other, that's the real issue.

we need to really really try and understand each others differences, and accept the differences,
and maybe also emphasize our sameness too. for all the differences between us, we have just as many similarities. we are all human, we all eat food, breath air, talk, sleep, etc etc

i feel we all have to learn more about each other, ourselves, and only then, will the differences be not such a big deal. we are just as ignorant of them as they are of us. nobody's wrong, everybody's just trying to live their life the best way they know how.

mike
myspace.com/mikegeorgemusic

ghostofzoelund
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2008, 9:57 am

mikegee wrote:
but you bring up a great point; to quote you:

Most of the suffering I've been through isn't because of AS, it's dealing with NT's and all their weird issues and fear/prejudice/rejection of things they don't understand, not just AS, it seems to be a knee-jerk reaction to anything outside their personal experience (generalizing, I know, sorry).

couldn't NTs say the very same thing about aspies? i think so. it's ignorance and lack of understanding each other, that's the real issue.

I agree with almost all of your post, I'm all for everyone trying to understand each other. But I have to disagree with the above; I don't believe NT's could say the same about us. In fact, I think that's one of the major differences between us; for one thing, I've never caused a NT to suffer because they perhaps didn't understand certain things that come easily to me due to AS. Although I'm quite capable of doing so, I have no desire to persecute someone or make them uncomfortable for being different from me. And in general, although we find many things NT's do strange or illogical, we do invest quite a bit of energy into trying to understand them and fit in. The opposite is not typically true. I understand NT's a great deal better than they understand me.

And this extends to all sorts of areas. I like all kinds of unusual books, films, activities, etc, 9 times out of 10 trying to get a NT to look at these things with an open mind is a challenge. They can do it, but I find their first reaction is generally, "That's bizarre, I won't like it/it's dumb", or the milder reaction, "I never would have looked at that (because it's strange)". When people with AS reject something without knowing anything about it, it's usually only because they think they'll fail or be mocked, not out of any prejudice against the unknown.

I'm speaking in vast generalities now, which is stupid, so I'll stop. But you get my point. We all do need to find commonalities with NTs, I agree that's vital. But if we're going to do the lion's share of "adjusting" to our differences, I repeat that I think it's okay to get irritated sometimes.

As far as "us" and "them", every minority needs to build a sense of community in order to feel empowered. Judging from many of the posts on this site, the AS community is in dire need of this. Many people feel persecuted by NT's, and the fact is, they often are. I'm glad there's a wrongplanet, and I'm glad there's an "us", instead of just "me". Doesn't mean I don't love my NT friends and family, but on some level, they will always be outside of me; they will always be "them". That's just reality, biology, whatever, it doesn't matter. It's natural, and it's okay.

I am glad that you have such a positive outlook on the subject of NT's and Aspies getting along. In my own way, I do, too (maybe not apparent here :wink: ).

Last edited by ghostofzoelund on 22 Mar 2008, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikegee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2008, 10:29 am

i understand, totally. i have my bad days when i wish there was an asperger city i could move to, to live and work in, and not have to deal with so much silliness in the NT world. there, i said it. i dont mean that as a bash to NTs. Let's face the facts; it's an NT world out there. There's no getting around it.

One of my hobbies is going on the net and looking for islands that are for sale: i kid you not. check it out:

http://www.privateislandsonline.com/

also, i remember, in 1st grade, my parents were called to the school because i had a habit of going to this one cement turtle in the playground, crawling underneath it, pushing the gravel up to the open sides of the bottom of the turtle, just to get away from the other kids. they thought i was being anti-social, and at age 6, i still vividly remember doing this. i remember doing it becuase school was bothering me becuase i felt over stimulated, and why did i have to spend all this time in this building with other kids learning things i didnt want to learn. and the bulies were targeting me.

and another time, when i was 12 or 13, and we had a family counseling session so me and my sister could talk about why my parents were divorcing, and i got mad at the counselor, and my parents, and told them its not my fault that they were divorcing, and that i was offended that they would try and involve me in their problem. hehe pretty articulate for a 12 year old, huh?

All these are examples of how i feel about the world at large. why do aspies always have to deal with others' expectations, plans, indoctrination and issues, and since we dont even want to have to be involved with petty circumstances that are so ego based as well as conformist in nature, i'm afraid we have no choice but to understand NTs...

unless of course, we all pitch in, buy an island together, and live happily ever after. ;) wouldn't that be perfect? i can dream...

mike
http://www.myspace.com/mikegeorgemusic

ghostofzoelund
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2008, 11:16 am

I look at islands too! And cabins off in the woods in the middle of nowhere...

An Aspie island would be great, except we'd have our utopia all built up, and then someone would come along and want to steal it from us, and we'd be like, "oh, okay, I guess...."

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 11:29 am

I don't agree with bashing NTs for the sake of it or making that group an excuse for anything but I do think its perfectly alright to let off steam and use the general term of NT so that people know what I am talking about. As someone else said, its an NT world and really, who exactly is going to be hurt by such a huge generalisation unless you name a specific NT?

It is very useful to be able to use the term NT because other Aspies understand the frustrations, it could be made into the word 'people' but I think that is less useful.

Personally, I get on with my Aspie and NT friends very well for the most part but there ARE differences and its being able to come to a site like this that I find helpful when I need to talk about how those differences are or have, affected me.